Post #3 Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:29 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Araban wrote:
1) He just seems out of touch.
2) People be salty.

1) I think you have the order wrong.
2) People flipping out because someone is making fun of your hobby are more out of touch than Kimmel.

Post subject: Re: Some gamers v. Jimmy Kimmel
Post #4 Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
If you make money is it just merely a hobby anymore?

Post #5 Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 pm 
Oza

Abyssinica wrote:

People get paid to watch video games??! I guess I'm out of touch too!

Post #6 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:05 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
OMG, the comments.

I never read YouTube comments. Now I remember why.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:11 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Before you know it, you're watching a video about someone making fun of people watching videos.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 3 people: Calvin Clark, Celebrir, Uberdude

Post #8 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:11 am 
Lives in gote

daal wrote:
Abyssinica wrote:

Other way around

Post #9 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:40 am 
Oza

Abyssinica wrote:
daal wrote:
Abyssinica wrote:

Other way around

Sorry, I totally don't understand what you are saying. :-?

In the Jimmy Kimmel video that got so many hate comments, he made fun of people watching other people playing video games. The people who wrote the hate mail were presumably not the people playing the games, but rather those who think that watching other people play games is a reasonable way to spend their time (It's one of their hobbies). The hate mail is inappropriate.

Do you agree with my description?

If yes, I have two questions: Why do you point out that people make money playing video games - nobody was making fun of them, and what do I have the wrong way around?

Post #10 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:41 am 
Lives in gote

I include the people making money from doing it as the people who watch it in one group.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:47 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
daal wrote:

Well, I think these people get paid to watch TV in a TV programme about people watching TV! (I think that's what it's about, I've never watched it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gogglebox

Post #12 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:06 am 
Oza

Abyssinica wrote:
I include the people making money from doing it as the people who watch it in one group.
I put apples and tomatoes in one group, what does that have to do with the price of beans?

The fact that some people make money playing video games has nothing to do with making fun of people watching other people play video games.

Uberdude wrote:
daal wrote:

Well, I think these people get paid to watch TV in a TV programme about people watching TV! (I think that's what it's about, I've never watched it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gogglebox

Gogglebox is something different (and also wierd) but Kimmel was referring to something different. He was talking about about YouTube Gaming - "a YouTube platform on which people who play video games can watch other people play video games."

He goes on to say: "and of course I made fun of this, because there are people watching other people play video games." This is not people who are paid, this is about the way people choose to spend their free time.

Post #13 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
Very entertaining - thanks for sharing, Ed.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:31 am 
Lives in gote

Your apples and tomatos don't depend on each other to exist. Why make fun of the people consuming content but not also the content creators if the content is so bad?

If tomatos and beans are complementary or substitude goods, try would affect the prices of each other.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:00 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Abyssinica wrote:

Abyssinica wrote:

For the people making money, it is clearly a profession.
For the people watching the videos, it is clearly a hobby.

Do we have to argue about everything here?

Abyssinica wrote:
Why make fun of the people consuming content but not also the content creators if the content is so bad?

We make fun of everybody in this world. It's part of comedy. Friends rib each other. Women humorously mock their partners, and vice versa. Comedians make fun of everybody.

Where it becomes potentially inappropriate is when one makes fun of a persecuted people, especially using the tools of said persecution, or when the joking turns to bullying.

To my knowledge video gamers and their followers are not generally accepted as a persecuted group. And I don't think Kimmel was particularly bullying either. Certainly, the comments employed ageist, racist, sizest, and generally hateful language.

But the point Kimmel's follow-up wasn't, "I'm being persecuted!" it was, "This is comedy gold!"

So no harm done, right?

Post #16 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:12 am 
Oza

Abyssinica wrote:
Your apples and tomatos don't depend on each other to exist. Why make fun of the people consuming content but not also the content creators if the content is so bad?

If tomatos and beans are complementary or substitude goods, try would affect the prices of each other.
Your "why" question misses the point of the humor. Humor is what makes people laugh. People might be surprised that people get paid to play video games, but they don't think it's funny. (Some) people do think it's funny that people watch other people playing video games. Why do they think it's funny? Who cares? Don't we have enough trouble already with people getting violent over something that they don't find funny?

Post #17 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:54 am 
Lives in gote

So are you essentially dismissing this entire thing under the guise of "Who cares?" Humour isn't humour to everyone. What is the point of this one then, as seen by you. Is it just to make people laugh? I can say many things I find hunourous that you wouldn't take too kindly to, most likely. But the point for me is that it makes me laugh. (And possibly others)

Post #18 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:11 am 
Oza

Abyssinica wrote:
So are you essentially dismissing this entire thing under the guise of "Who cares?" Humour isn't humour to everyone. What is the point of this one then, as seen by you. Is it just to make people laugh? I can say many things I find hunourous that you wouldn't take too kindly to, most likely. But the point for me is that it makes me laugh. (And possibly others)

As far as I know, Jimmy Kimmel is a comedian, so yes, the point of what he says is just to make people laugh. That is an explanation of what the comedian did, not a dismissal of the issue. The issue for me is, he made a joke and a lot of people who did not find it funny acted like jerks in such an extreme way that they even provided the comedian with more material. If you happened to be a funny guy and made fun of me or my hobbies (go ahead - I've been playing a game for 7 years and still get beat by 10 year olds) I might not find it funny, but I don't think you would have to worry about me attacking your family. There is something wrong with people who do that.

Post #19 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:18 am 
Lives in gote

daal wrote:
Abyssinica wrote:

As far as I know, Jimmy Kimmel is a comedian, so yes, the point of what he says is just to make people laugh. That is an explanation of what the comedian did, not a dismissal of the issue. The issue for me is, he made a joke and a lot of people who did not find it funny acted like jerks in such an extreme way that they even provided the comedian with more material. If you happened to be a funny guy and made fun of me or my hobbies (go ahead - I've been playing a game for 7 years and still get beat by 10 year olds) I might not find it funny, but I don't think you would have to worry about me attacking your family. There is something wrong with people who do that.

Well then I think you have a better point than I saw before.

Post #20 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
daal wrote:
Araban wrote:
1) He just seems out of touch.
2) People be salty.

1) I think you have the order wrong.

Let me lay it out for you, dude.

The problem is, he makes fun (which is allowed, of course, since he is a comedian) of something without a point (which is silly and pretty lazy kind of comedy, which is what he does in general, so no surprise here.) What's more, he makes fun of people who do nothing different, in principle, from what his own viewers are doing (and what he desperately wants him to do, I guess, thus the forced brand of comedy he serves.)

His mains point seems to be that "people watch other people play video games, how stupid, hahaha" - but how is that different from, for example:
  • "people watch other people talk to somebody, how stupid" (the premise of his own show) or
  • "people watch other people cook, how stupid" (the premise of the successful cooking channel) or
  • "people watch other people travel the world, how stupid" (the premise of travel channel) or
  • whatever else people watch instead of doing, which is big part of the premise of the TV in general, which he made a fortune out of.

Or better yet - "people watch other people play Go, how stupid, hahaha", so all of you/us who ever watched a baduk channel on youtube (or kibitzed a server game) are stupid and should be made fun of. Maybe even all of us who ever re-palyed a game from a classic record instead of playing ourselves... as if "people watching dead people play games, how stupid, hahaha."

Still, if he made fun of all of that, I would say there is some principled stance, maybe even a point, behind his jokes. Since he does not, since he just singles one nerdy group for doing something that, in a sense, he tries very hard to entice the rest of us to do just so he can profit greatly... I find it hypocrytical to then turn around and poke fun at those who do exactly that, just not to his personal profit.

But then again, its just Jimmy Kimmel making a buck by grabbing the low hanging fruit, as usual. This is what (most of the) talk show hosts do in their monologues, I guess, so what can you do?... Until TV decides to actually show something intelligent, we're stuck with Kimmels and the likes. I guess they call it "entertainment for the masses" and then point at the lowest common denominator...

I am not sure if "out of touch" is the right phrase here.

PS.1>
Apologies if I sound grumpy. Haven't have my morning coffee yet. ;)

PS.2>
"People write about coffee instead of drinking coffee, how stupid, hahaha."

This post by Bantari was liked by 2 people: Celebrir, illluck