It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about a car, 74 Plymouth Duster.
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: 6-9k
IGS: 6k
Alright through a vast search of the internet, books, auto part stores and several other things and places I have decided to come to you people to see if any of you have ideas or can help me, or blahhh.
I have a 74 Plymouth Duster with the 198 cu in (3.2)L Slant 6 engine, everything is original in and on it, it runs the body is in great shape got original paint but is faded, interior is not mint but great condition, everythings there and it all works even the Seat Belt Relay and the Emergancy Start Switch for those of you who know about that. Short and simple for those who do not, between I believe it was 72-75 or maybe just for 74 the government required that the manufacturer had to install a device to insure that your seat belts were buckled to start the car. They also along with this installed a emergency start switch just in case the system or relay failed to work properly. The seatbelt relay is unplugged currently but I have hooked it back up and it does still work.

Now here is the question does anyone know how much the car could be worth?

I have did a vast search of the internet, books, auto part stores and several other things and places to find nothing. I find everything about the V8 engines but nothing of the slant 6. All everyone knows that I hear is that the slant 6's are becoming if not already almost none existant because every one replaces the engine with a V8, so that it is becoming a collecters item almost but no one is sure of or has any idea of the value on it because of this.

From what I do know of the the plymouth duster is that 74 was its highest grossing year of car sales selling 281,378 of only around 18% of that being a slant 6 ( I am not sure if its 18% for all years combined or for only 74 I am almost more than positive just for 74 and this only pretains the the 198 cu in (3.2)L version not the 225 cu in (3.7)L version which sales is around 30% of duster models for the year or years. I am trying to find the information about the percentages again I know that its one of the two for year or years I just can not recall which it was and can not seem to find the info on it, but I am looking for it ). And then through years down the road people getting ahold of the slant 6 model even other years of the model would replace it with a larger V8. So the known number of Slant 6's for 74 or any other year is unknown and substantually lower than its original numbers.

What I do find on the slant 6 for sale on classified's, the net ect ect are all custom trimmed, custom painted, got extra engine wise for some extra horse power ect and the price is shabby, low due to its customization because no one wants the white racers on the side with the sound system in the trunk and the neon lights inside. Or what is obviously overpriced or priced fairly for its customization from the owner trying to get their moneys worth out of the customization.

But the question arised from having an arguement with a few people and none of us know what it could be worth quite obviously, one of us thinks of a price that is under priced and someone else things its overpriced and vise versa. So I decided to ask her to see what I get.

So yea the question, does anyone know how much the car could be worth?

Post subject: Re: Question about a car, 74 Plymouth Duster.
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:39 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Hazushi wrote:
All everyone knows that I hear is that the slant 6's are becoming if not already almost none existant because every one replaces the engine with a V8, so that it is becoming a collecters item almost but no one is sure of or has any idea of the value on it because of this.

What makes you think that it's (almost becoming) a collector's item? Seems more like a car with an inferior motor that nobody wanted. :shock: But, for car questions, you might try Tom and Ray: http://www.cartalk.com/ :)

Post subject: Re: Question about a car, 74 Plymouth Duster.
Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:00 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: 6-9k
IGS: 6k
daal wrote:

What makes you think that it's (almost becoming) a collector's item? Seems more like a car with an inferior motor that nobody wanted. :shock: But, for car questions, you might try Tom and Ray: http://www.cartalk.com/ :)

Hazushi wrote:
All everyone knows that I hear is that the slant 6's are becoming if not already almost none existant because every one replaces the engine with a V8, so that it is becoming a collecters item almost but no one is sure of or has any idea of the value on it because of this.

Its not that I see it as a collectors item to say, I mean I am more likely to think that it would have some antiquity value in it later down the road but thats what most people tell me.
I got ahold of Harwell Motors this morning and they said curretly for the same description here between $17,000 and $35,000 because they also said that it is becoming hard to find with a 6 in it. I would think the low there at best in my opinion even I think that might be a little high but they advised to get a paint job on it so long as it matches the original color and to hold it for a few more years.