It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shuei now in paperback
Post #1 Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
After many requests for a paperback version of my Shuei books, I have experimented with the CreateSpace process. The result is that the biographical portion is now available as a proper book via CreateSpace or Amazon (Europe and USA).

This version is called "Meijin of Meijins: The Life and Times of Honinbo Shuei" and you can find it on your local Amazon site by searching under "meijin". On CreateSpace the reference is https://www.createspace.com/5368701. Or look for ISBN-10: 1508843058.

Price is $9.99 or £6.99.

At this stage I have no plans to do the commentaries in book form (I'll decide after I see the take-up of this book), but I do have some other easier books in mind. For other authors wondering about this format, I found the CreateSpace process very easy to follow, but immensely time-consuming with all the layout and proof-reading. If I had to do many diagrams as well, I might not have lasted the course (and I was able to start with an existing text, slightly edited here), so it's not something to take on lightly. If you are outside the USA you also need to register with the USA tax authorities if you want to avoid double taxation, which is a life-changing experience to put it mildly. There are virtually no costs up front, and at the end you do get a REAL book!

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 4 people: Boidhre, Bonobo, skydyr, xed_over

Post subject: Re: Shuei now in paperback
Post #2 Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:57 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 788
I am ordering from Amazon.DE.

Layout for a printed book is not that difficult if 1) one is editing only for a printed book, 2) prepares some layout aspects during the writing and 3) has layout and bug-handling experience with the software used. Layout for two very different media (such as printed versus interactive file) requires essentially twice the full layout work plus possibly double work for text formatting. I.e., I understand why there are reasons not to publish everything in every format:)

Post #3 Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:04 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Thanks, ordered (also on Amazon DE)

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I am curious as to why the US tax authorities should be involved when you are not in the US.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:29 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I'm glad to see you trying out these new printing-on-demand publishing methods John, I hope it goes well.

DrStraw wrote:
I am curious as to why the US tax authorities should be involved when you are not in the US.

Because the USA is a great big international bully and believes everyone should follow its rules even if you aren't there? :roll: I mean they are the only country (other than Eritrea) who levy income tax based on citizenship rather than residence... (I've also come across having to do US tax forms declaring you aren't doing business in the USA for the Amazon affiliate program).

This post by Uberdude was liked by: imabuddha

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Uberdude wrote:
Because the USA is a great big international bully and believes everyone should follow its rules even if you aren't there? :roll: I mean they are the only country (other than Eritrea) who levy income tax based on citizenship rather than residence... (I've also come across having to do US tax forms declaring you aren't doing business in the USA for the Amazon affiliate program).

Ridiculous, isn't it. Actually, it is citizenship OR residence. I had to pay taxes here before I became a citizen. In fact, before I became an official resident, just working on a visa, I had to pay higher taxes.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:21 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 153
RobertJasiek wrote:
Layout for a printed book is not that difficult if 1) one is editing only for a printed book, 2) prepares some layout aspects during the writing and 3) has layout and bug-handling experience with the software used. Layout for two very different media (such as printed versus interactive file) requires essentially twice the full layout work plus possibly double work for text formatting. I.e., I understand why there are reasons not to publish everything in every format:)

Transforming a book that was primarily designed for printing into e.g the SmartGo Books format is not that big problem at all.

Provided that one thought BEFOREHAND about an adequate coding of the diagrams in the SGF files used.

Transformation of the diagrams is the main issue. The rest is more or less simple text processing.

I would like to assume that YOU missed step 1.

Igo Hatsuyōron #120 (really solved by KataGo)