All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pandanet Cup
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:34 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
The following announcement was made on the IGS page:

"The 15th edition of the Worldwide Internet Amateur Go Tournament, the "PANDANET Cup" is now open for subscriptions. Participation is free so after reading the details below everyone is invited to subscribe!"

Anybody participating?

Post subject: Re: Pandanet Cup
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:03 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I think most of us here don't even know how to spell IGS, much less play Go there :)

(will this post get "liked" by wms? I have the only post in his KGS thread that wasn't "liked" :) )

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:58 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Is tweet still filtering all messages for things he does not like?

I am banned from IGS for about 6 years now. :lol:

I told someone who asked that tweet was the dict^H^H^H^Hadmin.

I regret nothing. ;-)

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:39 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Harleqin wrote:

I don't get it. :oops:

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
daal wrote:
Harleqin wrote:

The key is understanding how some UNIX command line shells handle the Backspace key. If the environment isn't set up, instead of erasing a character, the screen will output "^H" instead. So, the keystrokes on that last word are actually: "dict<backspace><backspace><backspace><backspace>admin"

Clever, Harlequin, clever. :)

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:34 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 67
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 138
I'm not playing in this, but I have been playing occasionally on IGS recently due to its compatibility with many (in my case, certain) platforms.

It's a bit strange. It's pleasing for playing games (indeed I like the Canadian byoyomi in the automatch games a lot), but other than the standard complaints as far as communicating and reviewing games, its rating system looks troublesome. For example, it appears in the SDK range you need to win 15 or so games more than you lose to move up one rank. Given how often I play, this is rather steep. For example I've played 8 games there so far (yes, exceedingly small sample size, but that's also part of the point) and, setting myself with a provisional 7k ranking (equivalent to 5k kgs according to some chart I saw) I lost my first 3 and have won my last 5.

To bring this back on topic: is this the tournament based on number of games you play instead of results? (Clearly I would lose at that, though of course I can't say I should be winning any tournaments!)

Post #7 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
Marcus wrote:
daal wrote:
Harleqin wrote:

The key is understanding how some UNIX command line shells handle the Backspace key. If the environment isn't set up, instead of erasing a character, the screen will output "^H" instead. So, the keystrokes on that last word are actually: "dict<backspace><backspace><backspace><backspace>admin"

Clever, Harlequin, clever. :)

The shell explanation is sort of right, but not really. The thing is that Ctrl-H and Backspace are the same character - ASCII symbol 8. ^[whatever] is a way to print an unprintable character (Ctrl-something) - so a tab (ASCII 9) is ^I, a linefeed (ASCII 13) is ^M, typewriter bell (ASCII 7) is ^G. Note that the "control characters" are the first 20-something (^[ is also one, I don't know how many others) characters of the ASCII table, and the first 26 map to the alphabet.

If you have an odd environment (say you're using a modern PC keyboard but your termcap is set for an older terminal which maps the backspace command to ^[ instead of ^H), it is possible to print "^H" instead of backspace. But you can also do it by hitting ^V^H - Ctrl-V means "display the next character I type instead of interpreting it", which might be useful if you want to put a tab character into a string rather than having your shell try to tab-complete a string from what you've typed already, for instance.

Sometimes in this sort of post people also use ^W, which is Emacs-speak for "delete previous word." WordPerfect and Microsoft Word and everything else picked up that command from Emacs. :)

Post #8 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:39 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
Harleqin wrote:
Is tweet still filtering all messages for things he does not like?

I am banned from IGS for about 6 years now. :lol:

I regret nothing. ;-)

I hope IGS dies. tweet and his buddies really did it to themselves, and I am personally very happy with how much market share IGS has lost over the recent years. I used to be a big supporter of IGS until around the time tweet banned Cornel from IGS for playing on KGS.

I won't go into all of the terrible things tweet, malf, jb and other IGS cronies said about me on r.g.g. One example will suffice. They called my wife a whore in a public article they posted up on the IGS web page. He would also claim he had a professional player review my games on IGS and that said pro felt I was only a weak kyu player. Among other ridiculous accusations.

I'm not the only one by far, I think that's common knowledge these days. A lot of people want to see IGS fail.

-

Post #9 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 am 
Oza

daal wrote:

Marcus wrote:

ethanb wrote:

The shell explanation is sort of right, but not really. The thing is that Ctrl-H and Backspace are the same character - ASCII symbol 8. ^[whatever] is a way to print an unprintable character (Ctrl-something) - so a tab (ASCII 9) is ^I, a linefeed (ASCII 13) is ^M, typewriter bell (ASCII 7) is ^G. Note that the "control characters" are the first 20-something (^[ is also one, I don't know how many others) characters of the ASCII table, and the first 26 map to the alphabet.

If you have an odd environment (say you're using a modern PC keyboard but your termcap is set for an older terminal which maps the backspace command to ^[ instead of ^H), it is possible to print "^H" instead of backspace. But you can also do it by hitting ^V^H - Ctrl-V means "display the next character I type instead of interpreting it", which might be useful if you want to put a tab character into a string rather than having your shell try to tab-complete a string from what you've typed already, for instance.

Sometimes in this sort of post people also use ^W, which is Emacs-speak for "delete previous word." WordPerfect and Microsoft Word and everything else picked up that command from Emacs. :)

:shock: I still don't get it, but mostly I'm feeling sorry I asked. In any case, after reading usagi's post, whatever "dict^H^H^H^Hadmin" means, I'm sure it was worth getting booted. :mrgreen:

Post #10 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:53 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
daal wrote:
In any case, after reading usagi's post, whatever "dict^H^H^H^Hadmin" means, I'm sure it was worth getting booted. :mrgreen:

It means that I started to type "dict", then ostensibly pressed backspace four times, "deleting" those four characters, and finally typed "admin".

Post #11 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:25 am 
Oza

Harleqin wrote:
daal wrote:
In any case, after reading usagi's post, whatever "dict^H^H^H^Hadmin" means, I'm sure it was worth getting booted. :mrgreen:

It means that I started to type "dict", then ostensibly pressed backspace four times, "deleting" those four characters, and finally typed "admin".

I finally got it. You got booted for almost calling him a dictionary. :lol:

Post #12 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Helel wrote:
I can say this since I don't play there as "Helel". :D

You can be blocked by IP, not just by name.
I know...

Post #13 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:28 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 76
Was liked: 29
GD Posts: 1005
Universal go server handle: sverre
ethanb wrote:

I thought C-w was kill-region?

Post #14 Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:41 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I believe KGS is smart enough to use IPs to associate accounts--if you are booted, then try to sign back in with the same IP, but different account, the two are thereafter linked: when one is booted, so is the other. No idea if IGS does this, but it's quite clever.

Post #15 Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
Sverre wrote:
ethanb wrote:

I thought C-w was kill-region?

Hmm, right you are... I'm not an Emacs user myself, but using ksh and bash in "Emacs-mode" makes ^W == delete word, so I assumed that was true.

Wonder where that did originate then. WordPerfect?