It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Registration is now open for the 13th World Students Go Oza
Post #1 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:39 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
The 13th World Students Go Oza Championship will be held from Feb 23 to 27, 2015 in Tokyo, Japan.
16 students from around the world will come together in Japan to decide the world’s number one student player.

To select the 16 finalists, we are going to have an online preliminary round on Pandanet.
Please read the following page for details:
http://igooza.nikkei.co.jp/students/13th/index-we.htm
This is the entry form:
https://sec.pandanet.co.jp/event/igooza ... s/form.htm

The application deadline is Nov 16. University/college students under the age of 30 may participate in the preliminary round.
Students living in China, Korea, Japan, and Chinese Taipei may not participate in the online preliminary round.

Post subject: Re: Registration is now open for the 13th World Students Go
Post #2 Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:26 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
KGS: Hurakami
IGS: Hurakami
DGS: Hurakami
Sorry to say, but this looks very suspicious.

Why is the form asking to enter Igs password? It's a very bad security practice, if this is not a phishing attack all together.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
To be fair, pandanet.co.jp is in fact the system that holds your igs id and password, so I don't think there's any risks here. I can only presume they verify your logon credentials so that you don't register on someone else's behalf, although this seems a little bizarre and pointless.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:37 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
ErnestasRomeika wrote:
Sorry to say, but this looks very suspicious.

Why is the form asking to enter Igs password? It's a very bad security practice, if this is not a phishing attack all together.

Not an unreasonable suspicion. You really need to know more about Pandanet and me to be assured of the security. Feel free to check out both.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:38 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
KGS: Hurakami
IGS: Hurakami
DGS: Hurakami
quantumf wrote:
To be fair, pandanet.co.jp is in fact the system that holds your igs id and password, so I don't think there's any risks here. I can only presume they verify your logon credentials so that you don't register on someone else's behalf, although this seems a little bizarre and pointless.

I really hope no system holds my password =), at least in clear-text. Also only one domain of Pandanet is known to me, and that is http://pandanet-igs.com. I've never heard about this one (although I'm not denying that it might be legit). The form it self is a bit strange and ambiguous:
Competition area - as in current place where do you compete (eg. Europe), or the future place where you want to take this challenge (eg. Japan).
Country - Country of what? Country I'm currently staying in, country I'll travel to in 5 days, Country I was born in, Country I have nationality from, Country in which I'll be playing during the playoffs, Country in which my University is?
Also, why do they ask to enter email (twice!) if they're already getting the user details. Emails are connected with each and every Pandanet user.

Also, there's no checking for the login details. You can mistype the password and it doesn't warn you about that, still says "Thank you! Your entry has been received. We will contact you after the entry period. "

I have registered however, I hope this works out =). I wonder if there's any way to check if my registration has been accepted?