It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Life of Honinbo Shuei
Post #41 Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:40 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
RobertJasiek wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
you can buy it and do something which is almost legal, removing DRM from your file and converting formats.

Uh, so there is DRM at all? Having to act semi-legally (if you are right) is also not nice. As a consumer, I do not want to feel like a permanent criminal. (That's why I do not buy BlueRay films.) As a consumer, I want to have the right to consume what I have bought in the way I want (when consuming for myself) and not only in the way the industry wants me to behave. - But it still means that I need an extra software just for a few files, and software from a company whose software I do not trust well. Besides I agree with what somebody has said: One should not support the commercial approach associated with Amazon Kindle and the implied monopol. (Amazon may be a nice company for other purposes, but it does not make proprietary formats any better.)

It's rather trivial to remove the DRM and convert to ePub or whatever you like for reading on your preferred device or platform. It's pretty common.

This post by Boidhre was liked by: Redbeard

Post #42 Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:17 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Boidhre wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
you can buy it and do something which is almost legal, removing DRM from your file and converting formats.

Uh, so there is DRM at all? Having to act semi-legally (if you are right) is also not nice. As a consumer, I do not want to feel like a permanent criminal. (That's why I do not buy BlueRay films.) As a consumer, I want to have the right to consume what I have bought in the way I want (when consuming for myself) and not only in the way the industry wants me to behave. - But it still means that I need an extra software just for a few files, and software from a company whose software I do not trust well. Besides I agree with what somebody has said: One should not support the commercial approach associated with Amazon Kindle and the implied monopol. (Amazon may be a nice company for other purposes, but it does not make proprietary formats any better.)

It's rather trivial to remove the DRM and convert to ePub or whatever you like for reading on your preferred device or platform. It's pretty common.

As Boidhre says, it's quite easy to do. As for the legality, removing copy protection of legally purchased goods is not completely settled... But no lawyer would win a case against you (or me) for doing anything to your legally bought property, as long as you did not give it to anyone else.

As for the point of supporting Amazon's this and that... It's not exactly like publishing your papers in Elsevier. Amazon makes a s–t-ton of cash (dash added by me,) but ultimately the writer sets the price. They hold a monopoly? Yes, quite likely. But after all, all monopolies end up breaking. Wine was developed to clone Windows.

Publishing in a standard press has far higher markups. If I ever finish writing something (not by a lack of projects) I'm more likely to sell in Amazon than sell my own PDF for quite a lot of reasons (visibility, market share, creating paperbound book from it.) Even if I can typeset a nicer PDF file from it.

Post #43 Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:10 pm 
Oza

RBerenguel wrote:
As Boidhre says, it's quite easy to do. As for the legality, removing copy protection of legally purchased goods is not completely settled... But no lawyer would win a case against you (or me) for doing anything to your legally bought property, as long as you did not give it to anyone else.

Indeed and I doubt anyone cares if I want to convert a Kindle file to ePub because I want to use a different reader. Or if someone with a Nook or whatever, wants access to the Kindle market but not buy a new e-reader like my wife for instance. Amazon and the author(s) get their money whether I convert or not so I really feel no guilt about it.

Post #44 Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:46 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 42
Boidhre wrote:
Indeed and I doubt anyone cares if I want to convert a Kindle file to ePub because I want to use a different reader. Or if someone with a Nook or whatever, wants access to the Kindle market but not buy a new e-reader like my wife for instance. Amazon and the author(s) get their money whether I convert or not so I really feel no guilt about it.

But if they don't care, why do they add DRM in the first place?

Having said that, if anyone knows how to convert these into pdf or djvu, I would certainly buy the kindle file.

Post #45 Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:08 pm 
Oza

tundra wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

But if they don't care, why do they add DRM in the first place?

Having said that, if anyone knows how to convert these into pdf or djvu, I would certainly buy the kindle file.

They add DRM because the average person on the street won't know how, won't be bothered or won't care to get around it. It doesn't stop serious piracy since it's easy to get around, similar to most DRM systems for games, but it stops casual piracy where two friends share ebooks with each other if neither is somewhat technical. Now in fairness to Amazon, you can read your Kindle books on a plethora of platforms and not just their (very reasonably priced) e-reader. So I'm not overly displeased with them. I think I've a right to consume media I buy in whatever format I choose, i.e. just as I can rip a CD to mp3 I should be able to convert .asw to .mobi, pdf or whatever so long as its for personal use.

Post #46 Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:27 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 340
GD Posts: 2428
tundra wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
HKA wrote:
John Fairbairn is responsible, directly or indirectly, for over half of the information available to non Asian language speakers about Go.

Do you mean "history information about Asian players, associations, games" instead of "information" in general? If so, over 50% seems still a bit of an exaggeration. (Although roughly, say, one fourth is still impressive.)

Without meaning to minimize John Fairbairn's worthy contributions, I am also puzzled by HKA's claim.

I would say this title belongs jointly to such people as Richard Bozulich (especially him), John Power, and James Davies of Ishi/Kiseido, Dr. Sidney Yuan of Yutopian, and other translators such as Robert J. Terry. (And I'm probably overlooking many others.) Some have been bringing go to the west for over 40 years. The level of go played in the west (or at least, in the English-speaking part) would be much lower without their efforts.

These are fair comments. I was meaning historical and cultural info as opposed to technique. Hard to measure, not sure how much I am overstating, but I suspect not alot - certainly between Jasiek's 1/4 and my over half.

Post #47 Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:04 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 79
Was liked: 23
KGS: mlund
IGS: Cyan
Looks like I'm adding the Kindle app to my iPad tonight ...

- Marty Lund

Post #48 Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:04 am 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Yesterday I finished reading the book. It was interesting, but overall I'm slightly disappointed. I can't pinpoint anything in particular, probably I was putting too high expectations on the book. Of course, a biography with hard to get facts is hard to get right, and I appreciate the length and depth of it. But somehow, several parts of it were very confusing, with some comments that didn't make sense after a phrase several paragraphs (or pages) ahead made it clear (or clearer, maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.) I enjoyed quite a bit the historical background scattered here and there, but would have loved a little more (more about Japanese relationships with the outside world, the build up of said relationships, the settings for the wars.)

For the price it has, I can absolutely recommend it, it is a good read even if I was expecting "something else."

Post #49 Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:31 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Boidhre wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

Don't Kindle and other e-book readers have some protection software that limits copying and file sharing? I guess that's to prevent, say, a group of 20 people from buying one copy and then making 19 more copies. If you remove that and duplicate the file isn't that piracy?

Post #50 Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 am 
Gosei

gowan wrote:
Boidhre wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

Don't Kindle and other e-book readers have some protection software that limits copying and file sharing? I guess that's to prevent, say, a group of 20 people from buying one copy and then making 19 more copies. If you remove that and duplicate the file isn't that piracy?

IANAL, but it's not piracy if you remove it and keep the file for personal use. At least, Amazon would not care at all: you have bought what they want.

Post #51 Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 42
gowan wrote:

Like RBerenguel, IANAL either. But it really depends on the jurisdiction. In Canada, for example, at least up until recently, you were free to change the file format, as long as it was for your own personal use. For example, if you had originally bought music on a phonograph record, you could transfer it to cassette tape when that technology developed. And later on you could have transferred it to CD. And still later, to an mp3 file. None of these changes required you to buy a new copy of the recording.

Now, copyright law in Canada is being rewritten. So it is possible that there is now, or will be, legal protection for DRM locks. I am not sure. But my point is just that there is nothing inherently wrong with the end user changing a file format to suit his needs.

Post #52 Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 am 
Dies with sente

I'm about a third of the way finished. I'm quite happy with my purchase, though I wish the electronic format provided a few more enhancements. I was thinking today on my drive to work how I'd love to be able to hold down on a name like Shuei and pull of the immediate lineage / succession tie-ins around him into a pop-out so I wouldn't have to flip back and reorient myself to remember where Shuetsu, Shugen, Shuwa, Shuho, and Shuei all fell. Same goes with some of the government officials, etc - kind of like a highly concise appendix fragment you could access mid-page like they do with word definitions.

It's fascinating to see what happened to Go in Japan during the end of the shogunate and the Meiji restoration - the shift from noble to merchant patrons and the perils of a new government. I kind of got the feeling of "here's the new boss, same as the old boss, only the old boss liked you and this guy wouldn't stop to scrape you off your shoe - good luck with that."

I have to wonder if the great artists of the day felt the same way as the era of Renaissance patronage got swept away with the Colonial, Revolutionary, and Napoleonic Eras in Western Europe.

- Marty Lund

Post #53 Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
I finished reading volume one over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

I've never been especially interested in go history, as distinct from go or history in general, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But compared to other English language historical go books that I've read (e.g. most of John's other books, Invincible etc), this book outdoes all of them in terms of giving you a really tangible glimpse of life in Japan at a particular time (after the Meiji Restoration in this case), and in conveying aspects of central character's personality. Actually, in some ways it reminded me of Kawabata's The Master of Go more than any other go related book I've read.

John's writing is lucid and free flowing, so it's easy to get into the story as if it were a piece of fiction. Whenever I had some free time, usually at night, I was glued to the book and my wife laughed at me because I was reading this on an iPad in bed (which is not particularly comfortable no matter what Apple says and usually I have a strong preference for real books, especially after staring at a screen all day).

Anyway, The Life of Honinbo Shuei joins some of the dots between existing English language historical go books nicely. And I think the end result justifies the decision to put 'The Life' in its own book, because it allowed John to include a lot of information that he would've otherwise had to edit out and really develop the story at length. I suspect even people who aren't go players, but who are interested in Japan or history, would still enjoy reading this. Perhaps (hopefully) there's an angle there for the GoGoD team?

All in all, it's a very well written and readable exposition of a fascinating life, and it sets the scene well for the rest of the series. My only gripe is that I haven't yet unlocked the secret to becoming incredibly strong later in life, but there's still time - and volume two is coming ;).

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone with broader interests than just game records and go problems :).

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

This post by gogameguru was liked by 2 people: RBerenguel, SoDesuNe

Post #54 Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
I second gogameguru's comments about the book. While I like the historical writing in books like Invincible and John Fairbairn's other books, this one filled me in on a period of history about which I knew very little. The Meiji Restoration was a time of turmoil in Japan and in the orient in general and that is reflected in the story of the go world in Japan at the time and Shuei's life in particular. I had always wondered how he got the title "Meijin" when the old structure of the go world was lost. In the modern world of tournament go, titles and ranks are relatively easily determined, but before the time of tournaments it was all much more complicated. I'll be interested to read the commentaries on games coming in later volumes. In the Edo era the go world was supported by the patronage of the Shogunate governmen which ended with the Meiji Restoration, but the go world in Japan survived due to patronage of wealthy individual lovers of the game. LAter, this form of patronage led to the establishment of the Nihon Ki-in (Baron Okura and others). I found the story of Shuei's friendship with Kim Ok-kyun very touching, again something I knew little about prior to reading the book.

Post #55 Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:59 pm 
Dies with sente

I finished reading this two weeks ago and wow, I was very happy with my purchase. The historical insights were great, and they tied in perfectly to get an idea of the environment that Shuei and his contemporaries had to deal with. I really have an appreciation for why there's still a Honinbo title in Japan while the names of rival houses didn't survive into the 20th century. The story of this book had a lot of drama (even though it wasn't written as a drama) - familial strife, achievement, poverty, friendship, fear, triumph, revenge, and even an assassination or two. It really worked for me.

If you have a soft spot for vignettes of history as well as an interest in Japan and / or Go then I think this is definitely a book for you.

- Marty Lund

Post #56 Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:40 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
John, would you object if I lifted your precis of the book and included it (labeled as such) in the sensei's page for the book?

Post #57 Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:04 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Quote:
John, would you object if I lifted your precis of the book and included it (labeled as such) in the sensei's page for the book?

Not at all. Thank you for asking.

Post #58 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
If there are plans to release the book in the SmartGo Books format, or as an inferior option as an epub, I'd be happy to pick it up. Won't buy from Amazon, though, for a variety of reasons. Nice to see that Shuei is getting some attention! :)

Post #59 Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Hi John,

I was wondering when your third vol. of Honinbo Shuei's matches in supposed to be released? I though it was June for vol. 1, July vol. 2, and Aug. vol. 3. I'd been waiting all month for it : )

Also, I purchased your "Gateway To All Marvels" book and really liked it. I think it's a wonderful book and look forward to re-reading it again, and again in the future.

Thank-you very much,
logan

Post #60 Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
logan: T Mark is finishing proofreading as I write. I then need to do a final read and it can take a couple of days for Amazon to propagate it. I've had some distractions lately.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: oren

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next