It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brady's Blunders
Post #1 Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:41 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Hi all,

I am posting a series of YouTube videos in which I analyze a single board position where I made a huge mistake. Some of the mistakes were identified by me, but many were identified by my teacher, Jennie Shen, a two dan Chinese professional currently living in Santa Barbara California. All the positons were reviewed by her.

In each video, I'll demonstrate the actual game sequence including my blunder, and I'll invite the viewer try to find a better move. I'll show how I was punished or should have been punished for my mistake, and then show how I should have played.

One idea of this is to publish English language videos that are significantly shorter than most currently out there. By focusing on a single position, I hope to be able to keep most videos under fifteen minutes, though I'm struggling with that so far.

I wish the first video had more useful content. It does a good job of demonstrating my propensity towards mistakes under pressure, but I think some of the sequences might be a little tough for some kyus to follow, and it doesn't really teach a lesson. If you feel the same way, please give later episodes a chance.

In the information section of most videos, I intend to provide a link to this thread on L19, where I will post the full sgf. In every game there is, of course, more than just the single mistake. Some of the sgf's will contain extensive comments within the variations and some will just have good, but uncommented variations to review. Other sgf branches will just have been me messing around, and don't necessarily demonstrate anything.

I invite questions, comments, and corrections. I can say with great confidence, that any mistakes in the videos and sgf's are likely to be mine, not Jennie's.

edit - I finally made a trailer, here:

I'll do a new post for each episode. If you have a question or comment, please reply to the post which contains the video and sgf.

I hope you enjoy the videos. Please let me know what you think, and how I can make them better. Thanks.

Last edited by wineandgolover on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

This post by wineandgolover was liked by 6 people: CutFirstThinkLater, daal, Freewheelin', Kirby, Tami, Thimblefox

Post subject: Brady's Blunders Episode 1 - Passing in a Fight
Post #2 Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:00 am 
Lives in sente

Here is the video and associated sgf. Please feel free to reply to this post with any questions or comments. Note you must be a registered user of L19 to post. You can view the sgf or download it without registering.

Attachments:
Bradys Blunders 1.sgf [10.27 KiB]
Downloaded 1624 times

Last edited by wineandgolover on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Brady's Blunders Ep 2 - It's Okay to Mess Up a Joseki, Hones
Post #3 Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 am 
Lives in sente

Here is the video and associated sgf. Please feel free to reply to this post with any questions or comments. Note you must be a registered user of L19 to post. You can view the sgf or download it without registering.

Attachments:
Bradys Blunders 2.sgf [8.46 KiB]
Downloaded 1639 times

Last edited by wineandgolover on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Brady's Blunders Ep 3 - Setting Up a Wedge
Post #4 Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:05 am 
Lives in sente

Attachments:
Bradys Blunders 3.sgf [13.1 KiB]
Downloaded 1644 times

Post subject: Re: Brady's Blunders
Post #5 Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
Hey Brady, nice videos. I agree there is space for some shorter videos out there.

I never saw Black's 1 space jump on the 2nd line in the joseki for video 2 before. In fact eidogo says the white move before is joseki and the other white move is an overplay:
http://eidogo.com/#kjd:odqdpfocpcpdqcrc ... oesbqbqgph

BTW can you make the audio level of your voice louder? I had to turn my volume way up to hear you.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:09 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Just want to say that I'm really enjoying these videos. I especially like that they focus on a single critical position and then explain the ins and outs patiently, thoroughly and peppered with interesting anecdotes.

My favorite story so far is from the third video, where his teacher, Jennie Shen says to him: "Brady, I wish you had wedged and died and lost instead of playing this move and winning." Brady explains that her point was about the proper attitude, and that by not following through on one's own plan, one hands the opponent the upper-hand on a plate. When I first heard him tell it, I thought: "well, what if you recognize that your plan has a fatal flaw? Isn't it better to abort and make the best of it? Obviously, it depends on the particulars of a situation, but the more I thought about his explanation, the more Jennie's sentiment made sense. If you wimp out in the middle of a sequence, you are giving your opponent the license to walk all over you.

In these videos, Brady shows us how to learn from mistakes, by looking at critical moments in the game and exploring the hows and whys of what went wrong. I suspect that he himself profits the most from these videos, but there is a lot for us as well. Looking forward to more!

Post subject: Brady's Blunders Ep 4 - Why It's Called the Surrounding Game
Post #7 Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:27 am 
Lives in sente

Attachments:
Bradys Blunders 4 and 5.sgf [7.18 KiB]
Downloaded 1660 times

This post by wineandgolover was liked by: Thimblefox

Post #8 Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:53 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks yoyoma and daal. Your kind words are much appreciated!

I think I upped the volume on the fourth episode. Was that better?

Post #9 Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
That third blunder is something I've known all too well, but I still hesitate to put into practice sometimes when I really want to win.

This post by Abyssinica was liked by: wineandgolover

Post #10 Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
The volume is good now, good work!

This post by yoyoma was liked by: wineandgolover

Post #11 Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:50 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 20
KGS: 2k
Tygem: 2d
IGS: 1k
Wbaduk: 2d
OGS: 1K
Hi Brady. I just watched your first two Blunders videos and I must confess they were a very good surprise.
First of all you have a very good narrative and your voice and tone are peaceful and nice to listen to...
_ I liked a lot the little story on your first Blunder with Nick playing the part of the bully afterwards :D
_ I found the second Blunder very useful to know and listening to your explanations really felt like listening a good story, because of all the context and emotions descriptions...

I'll watch your other Blunders later on, but I already know this will be a delightful series and a valuable add to the Go material on YouTube.
So thanks for your contribution. :)

This post by Dontbtme was liked by: wineandgolover

Post #12 Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:32 am 
Lives in sente

Dontbtme wrote:
Hi Brady. I just watched your first two Blunders videos and I must confess they were a very good surprise.
First of all you have a very good narrative and your voice and tone are peaceful and nice to listen to...
_ I liked a lot the little story on your first Blunder with Nick playing the part of the bully afterwards :D
_ I found the second Blunder very useful to know and listening to your explanations really felt like listening a good story, because of all the context and emotions descriptions...

I'll watch your other Blunders later on, but I already know this will be a delightful series and a valuable add to the Go material on YouTube.
So thanks for your contribution. :)

Thanks very much, Dontbtme. I'm delighted you were pleasantly surprised by the first episodes. I'm sure there's room for two of us blunderers (and more) on YouTube. :) There's plenty of others showing off their good games.

Hehe, Nick was in no way a bully. We are part of a group of US Go Congress buddies that tease each other relentlessly, but always good-naturedly. This year featured go during the day, and board games and beer late into the night.

Funnily enough, I'm in France for a week. I have no idea if there's much of a local go scene on the Somme.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:17 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 20
KGS: 2k
Tygem: 2d
IGS: 1k
Wbaduk: 2d
OGS: 1K
Sadly, according to this page, there's no official Go club in la Somme... :-|

Post subject: Brady's Blunders Ep 5 - The Phantom Menace
Post #14 Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:10 am 
Lives in sente

Post subject: Brady's Blunders #6 - Looks Can Be Deceiving
Post #15 Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:38 am 
Lives in sente

Attachments:
Bradys Blunders 6.sgf [5.98 KiB]
Downloaded 1212 times

This post by wineandgolover was liked by: daal

Post subject: Brady's Blunders Ep 7 - My Spider Sense Didn't Tingle
Post #16 Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:05 am 
Lives in sente

Attachments:
Bradys blunders 7.sgf [7.1 KiB]
Downloaded 1201 times

This post by wineandgolover was liked by: daal

Post subject: Brady's Blunders Ep 8 - Congress Wrap Up and Improvement Pla
Post #17 Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:38 am 
Lives in sente

Oops, I forgot to make a post for Episode 8, probably because it isn't about a single board position, so I'm not attaching the sgf.

Post subject: Brady's Blunders Ep 9 - How To Waste Aji
Post #18 Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:44 am 
Lives in sente

Attachments:
Bradys blunders 9.sgf [4.67 KiB]
Downloaded 1151 times

Post subject: Brady's Blunders - The Trailer
Post #19 Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:18 am 
Lives in sente

So, I finally got around to making a trailer.

What do you think, will this encourage people to watch more?

Thanks.

-Brady

Post #20 Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I think the trailer is interesting and summarizes your intention well. Though, when I first read that it was a trailer, I expected something more like a commercial.

Maybe you should have a theme song - ideally, something catchy.