It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go-Public: Take your board and enter the city life! :)
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:13 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 6
Bochum Go-Club recommends other clubs and players worldwide to Go-Public

On the background of the upcoming Iwamoto-Awards which are given to European projects that aim to promote Go, the Bochum Go-Club made its own contribution with the project “Go-Public”. As the name implies it is a project to bring Go to the public. Go is mostly played in clubs or in front of the computer so that it is hidden from the view of the public. Therefore, we encourage Go players worldwide to organise themselves and go out to show their passion for Go. On the following page you can find a full description of how this can be realised: http://www.go-centre.nl/tikiwiki/Gopublic

Here is our personal experience of going public in the city center of Bochum which took place on the 14th of April. The designed route for our promotional walk through the city can be seen in this map.:

We trusted in the weather forecast and met at noontime in the main station of Bochum. Around 15 players gathered and while waiting there for the players to arrive, people already took interest in our go boards and some came to ask what we were doing. When we started to leave the main station the sun came out and it felt warm although we had around 13 degrees. It was fun to walk as a group with each of us carrying one go board and sure attracting the views of people.

We walked to a nearby public place which was our first stop and put blankets to the ground on which we then put our boards to play. On the borders of the blankets we placed flyers so that interested people could directly take a flyer without having to ask us and in case that people asked us we could easily hand them out. To our positive expectations a lot of people stopped wondering what we were doing and also a lot of flyers were taken as well as people sitting down with us and getting explanations. We stayed on the first place for two hours until we moved to our next stop.

The next stop was the main shopping street of Bochum where we found a nice spot to attract the views of pedestrians. We also received positive replies by the public but couldn't stay too long since the rain started. As we were invited to be visiting a book store on our route later, we decided to go there earlier and it was ok since they had everything prepared for us. They had set up tables and put advertisement for us which was really impressive and kind.

Feeling wet and cold due to the rain we enjoyed to sit down in the book store and get some rest while playing in warm atmosphere. It is the biggest book store in Bochum, that's why many people passed and stopped to see what we were doing. The book store even made announcements via speakers to make everyone inside the store aware that we are showing Go and that everyone is invited to join us. It was such a good feeling to hear it and made all of us happy.

During the day a lot of people who never heard of Go, but also people who had once played or heard of the game, showed their interest. We might have also created a new link to the Korean community in this area while one Korean woman came towards us and told us that she knows many Korean people who are looking for Go players but were not aware that there is such an active community in Germany. :)

We finished the day in a nice bar where we ate and drank together to discuss the day and play more Go. I'm happy to say that the project was very successful and that even players from cities like Bonn and Düsseldorf came to support us. Already during the day players asked to repeat the project in Bochum and if possible also in other cities. I am looking forward to it and can recommend this project for no matter which city or country as it is so easy to implement. :tmbup:

Pictures of Go-Public in Bochum + more pictures

Best regards,

Attachments:
File comment: Go-Flyer Bochum
Go Flyer Bochum.jpg
Go Flyer Bochum.jpg [ 48.35 KiB | Viewed 6389 times ]

http://www.dgob.de/lv-nrw/bochum/

Last edited by Pylon on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Pylon was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, karaklis, uglyboxer, walpurgis

Post subject: Re: Go-Public: Take your board and enter the city life! :)
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:53 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Very cool, Andreas.

If such a thing should ever happen in Hamburg, Hannover, Bremen or Lüneburg (I live in the middle of nowhere, between these cities), I’d be happy to join!

Greetings, Tom

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:02 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Thanks, Andreas, for this great idea, and also for your dedication in organizing the Bochum tournament. It was a great experience.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:33 am 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 0
So cool! Thank you.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:18 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 6
Thanks for the positive replies! :)

Bonobo wrote:
If such a thing should ever happen in Hamburg, Hannover, Bremen or Lüneburg (I live in the middle of nowhere, between these cities), I’d be happy to join!

In the near future I might move to Hamburg. So why not then making Go-Public happen there? ;)

A person from the Munich Go group has also declared interest to realize a Go-Public in the city center of Munich. I'm looking forward to it and am excited to see if the project will also receive interest outside of Germany.

Here are more pictures of Go-Public in Bochum, also showing the spot on the main shopping street of Bochum.

Best regards,

http://www.dgob.de/lv-nrw/bochum/

This post by Pylon was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, karaklis