It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1001 GoGoD games for your Coffee Break #37(26 February 2013)
Post #1 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 283
GD Posts: 484
Nakayama Noriyuki was a favourite pro teacher among many Western players. I first met him in 1981 when I was transiting Milano on my way back to Britain after working in Algeria for 18 months. I stayed with Marvin and Kathy Wolfthal for a couple of days and, on the day I moved out, Nakayama arrived. Almost every time we met afterwards, he reminded me that he had evicted me from Marvin’s spare room. In 1992 I visited Tokyo and met him at the Nihon Ki-in and suggested that he come to the European Go Congress that year, which was being held in Canterbury and I am glad that he was able to come.

The last time I saw him was in 2007 at the European Go Congress in Villach, Austria, where I showed him this game, that he did not know had been published. I also showed Helmut Wiltscheck that he had a game in the same book and he took the ISBN details so that he could order a copy.

Best wishes.

Post subject: Re: 1001 GoGoD games for your Coffee Break #37(26 February 2
Post #2 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
Nakayama-sensei was one-of-a-kind. I remember bringing my copy of the Treasure Chest Enigma to the (US) congress one year to get his autograph. I noticed that we happened to share the same birthday, and when I pointed this out he graciously offered to play a game.

Next to me Dave Weimer was also playing a teaching game with Mr. Nakayama, but he was behind by a little; the final score had Mr. Nakayama winning by four points.
My own game looked more promising; I had thick positions and kept his groups weak enough that it limited the scope for agression. In the end I had a won game...by four points. :)

Post subject: Re: 1001 GoGoD games for your Coffee Break #37(26 February 2
Post #3 Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:25 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 74
Was liked: 100
I was lucky enough to play a 4 stone teaching game agains Nakayama-sensei a number of years ago. Another pro watched the game, and became very animated towards the end. Apparently, I set up a line where I lost by 1 point. Unfortunately, I blundered and lost by 2 so her line was not played.