All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How different are the time skills
Post #1 Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
If go we're in the Olympics as a sport, would there be a gold metal for each of the different time constraints?

It makes sense to me to say that, a person is a nine Dan with a three hour time limit but only a six or seven with an hour time limit, or vice versa, though there doesn't seem to be this distinction, except maybe in the ethnic tradition that one subscribes too. Perhaps the general culture isn't broad enough to support the distinction, but in a modern setting, it seems that there may be Chinese and Koreans that would prefer longer times and Japanese that prefer shorter.

Post subject: Re: How different are the time skills
Post #2 Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I'm 3d in fast games, 3p in slow :D

This post by Uberdude was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, Ortho, Phelan, Phoenix, SoDesuNe, Splatted

Post #3 Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 65
Universal go server handle: pluspy
I think it doesn't matter, because your opponent also has less time to think :lol:

Post #4 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
Time definitely affects your game. Without sufficient time, I cannot count so I play too aggressively, I cannot predict my opponents strategy so I play the wrong direction and I can't double-check life-and-death situations so I instinctively hane or throw stones at vital points and get the move-order wrong.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
OtakuViking wrote:
I think it doesn't matter, because your opponent also has less time to think :lol:

But it may affect you differently. For example, some players panic when in byo-yomi, while others don't have the same problem with playing fast, and some always play very quickly anyway. I am bad at handling byo-yomi, but I almost never get there in serious games, so it doesn't matter if I can't handle it. But it is clear that relative playing strenght depends on the time limits.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:30 am 
Lives in sente

Grisalger wrote:
OtakuViking wrote:

But it may affect you differently. For example, some players panic when in byo-yomi, while others don't have the same problem with playing fast, and some always play very quickly anyway. I am bad at handling byo-yomi, but I almost never get there in serious games, so it doesn't matter if I can't handle it. But it is clear that relative playing strenght depends on the time limits.

I definitely agree with you. There are certain skills associated with longer times, that some players develop. Like thinking out ten different locations, then choosing one, and counting. On the other hand I optimizing play in for an hour isn't necessarily trivial, and is substantially different than the long play.

I think that game statistics should take into account time.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:39 am 
Lives in sente

Comparing Japanese play to Korean or Chinese play, there are a couple of things that I wouldn't expect based on the time limits.

1) Japanese tend to be more joseki oriented, in particular hoshi joseki. I guess with the longer time limits, I wouldn't expect the standards to arise as often. Maybe they are able to think out the full implications of each move, so that they become standards, and that the opening isn't as important as a long and accurate end game.

2) Koreans and Chinese tend to be more Fuseki oriented in particular with 3-4 stone variations.

I would expect more local Joseki, with sorter time periods, however it seems that maybe the idea is to prevent the opponent from using standard sequences in an effective way.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
SmoothOper wrote:
Comparing Japanese play to Korean or Chinese play, there are a couple of things that I wouldn't expect based on the time limits.

Examples would help... I've watched many pro games and haven't seen the behavior you're describing.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm 
Lives in sente

oren wrote:
SmoothOper wrote:

Examples would help... I've watched many pro games and haven't seen the behavior you're describing.

I don't think you can expect specific examples would be sufficient to prove my observations on way or another.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
SmoothOper wrote:
I don't think you can expect specific examples would be sufficient to prove my observations on way or another.

No, but statistics would be some evidence.

I can also say Japanese pros tend to start on 7-7 if I want to.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 pm 
Lives in sente

oren wrote:
SmoothOper wrote:

No, but statistics would be some evidence.

I can also say Japanese pros tend to start on 7-7 if I want to.

I don't know of a way to do that, I think most statistics just lump all professional games together, part of the reason I brought up the thread, is I think time should be taken into account when using statistics about certain plays. So I acknowledge, the hypothee-ness of my statements.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
On the ICC, where serious players play online chess, the most common time settings each have their own rank. That is, 1 minute absolute, 3 minutes absolute, 5 minutes absolute, 15 minutes absolute and 45 minutes absolute.

Many players had rating differences over up to several hundred ELO points between the different rankings. It is undeniable that in both go and chess, players' strengths and weaknesses play out quite differently depending on the time settings.

Post #13 Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:23 am 
Lives in sente

cdybeijing wrote:
On the ICC, where serious players play online chess, the most common time settings each have their own rank. That is, 1 minute absolute, 3 minutes absolute, 5 minutes absolute, 15 minutes absolute and 45 minutes absolute.

Many players had rating differences over up to several hundred ELO points between the different rankings. It is undeniable that in both go and chess, players' strengths and weaknesses play out quite differently depending on the time settings.

I am willing to go one step further that they also have different strategies and tesuji at different time settings.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
SmoothOper wrote:
I am willing to go one step further that they also have different strategies and tesuji at different time settings.

Yes, the maybe-they-won't-spot-atari tesuji only works in blitz.