It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Reign of Ke Jie
Post #41 Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
Ke Jie lost to Iyama Yuta in the first match of China Lunar New Year Invitational. Will play Park Junghwan next for a chance of rematch for the title.

Post #42 Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:30 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
xiayun wrote:
Ke Jie lost to Iyama Yuta in the first match of China Lunar New Year Invitational. Will play Park Junghwan next for a chance of rematch for the title.

somehow this news can be post in both ke jie reign thread and iyama yuta reign thread

Post #43 Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:31 am 
Lives in gote

pookpooi wrote:
xiayun wrote:

somehow this news can be post in both ke jie reign thread and iyama yuta reign thread

Yeah, thought the same thing. Guess we could discuss the game and its moves from their respective perspectives in each thread. :)

Post #44 Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:14 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
xiayun wrote:

When did Ke Jie get out of the hospital? I'd been worried for him for a while because he was playing to exhaustion. Sure enough, he was hospitalized earlier this month.

Post #45 Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:19 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 4
Ke Jie just beat Park Junghwan in the 2nd game of CCTV Cup and will meet Iyama again in the final. I feel Park leading comfortably in the middle game, before the invasion in his right side. Awesome comeback from Ke Jie.

Post #46 Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:44 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
kimidori wrote:
Ke Jie just beat Park Junghwan in the 2nd game of CCTV Cup and will meet Iyama again in the final.

Don't you mean Chinese New Year invitational?
As for the game, I only had a quick look but it didn't feel so bad for Ke to me, and when Park allowed Ke to make a ponnuki (just a few moves into the right side invasion) and tried to kill it that seemed rather unlikely to succeed, though of course the following sabaki from Ke was very nice. I suppose the crux of the matter is if (or how much of) the right side is solid territory following the centre fighting and you can't really estimate the score with such a big and difficult question still hanging. Ke Jie said it wasn't and Park couldn't prove him wrong.

Post #47 Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:53 am 
Dies with sente

Quote:
Don't you mean Chinese New Year invitational?

Yes, it was sponsored by CCTV, sorry for the confusion. I mean before the invasion, it seems that B can spend 1 more move to defense the moyo, and still ahead in points. But it's true that B group in the center was still weak, and perhaps Ke Jie would attack it severely should Park defended.

Post #48 Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:01 am 
Judan

kimidori wrote:
I mean before the invasion, it seems that B can spend 1 more move to defense the moyo, and still ahead in points. But it's true that B group in the center was still weak, and perhaps Ke Jie would attack it severely should Park defended.

Hmmmm, let's say black plays the iron pillar on the right side where Ke invaded for move 81. Now the right side should be solid points, but the top right 3-3 is still open. White could then atari and kosumi wedge and cut off the centre tail 4 stones, could black get enough compensation on attacking the bottom side. Or maybe white would wedge the one point jump after atari?

Post #49 Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Is the final game tomorrow, or is there a rest day?

Post #50 Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:59 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
No rest day, game starts January 31 at 15:00 KST:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1 ... January+31

Post #51 Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:01 pm 
Dies with sente

Quote:
White could then atari and kosumi wedge and cut off the centre tail 4 stones, could black get enough compensation on attacking the bottom side

Yes, it seems that if W can cut these 2 stones, he will have enough to win, I thought B has a chance to save it, but it's true that W potential in the center is very strong. The bottom side is big, but unless B can capture the 3 stones at J3, or destroy all W's potential on the bottom left, he will probably be in short of territory.

Post #52 Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:22 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
Despite his ill health, Ke Jie has won against Iyama by resignation in the final of Chinese New Year Invitational.

This post by ewan1971 was liked by: emeraldemon

Post #53 Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:00 pm 
Lives in sente

Go4Go database add his won against Shi Yue and Liao Yuanhe yesterday, but from which event?

Post #54 Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:27 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 276
Was liked: 49
KGS: 3d
DGS: 3d
OGS: 3d
pookpooi wrote:
Go4Go database add his won against Shi Yue and Liao Yuanhe yesterday, but from which event?

Maybe it was updated later, but Go4Go did say that these games were from 16th Chinese Southwest Qiwang, round 1 (vs Liao Yuanhe) and round 2 (Shi Yue)

This post by gamesorry was liked by: pookpooi

Post #55 Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:57 am 
Judan

Ke Jie lost a bunch of games recently, not looking like on good form going into the AlphaGo match :sad: .

Post #56 Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:04 am 
Lives in sente

Lee Sedol also lost to Ke Jie prior to AlphaGo match, leading to Ke Jie saying 'I beat Lee Sedol, why I don't get to play with AlphaGo' (or something like that)

Post #57 Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
Uberdude wrote:
Ke Jie lost a bunch of games recently, not looking like on good form going into the AlphaGo match :sad: .

Statistics, he can't go forever with the losing streak.

Post #58 Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:19 pm 
Judan

Krama wrote:
Uberdude wrote:

Statistics, he can't go forever with the losing streak.

Do you mean the "law of averages" which says if you flip a coin and get a load of tails in a row you are more likely to get a heads next because you are 'due' one to get the average back to 50%? Because that's a common misconception that appeals to untrained humans' poor intuition for probability. If the events are independent (as coin flips are) then having had a load of tails doesn't make a heads more likely. And for go games where psychology and form come into play they won't be independent.

Also Ke Jie hasn't been on a losing streak, just recently he's had 3 wins and 3 losses which is poor for him (and some loses were to not so top players). So yes of course he will win games, the question is will his form recover to 80% win rate or whatever it was against top pros when he was on fire.

Post #59 Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:19 am 
Lives in gote

I could see him treating the domestic league as a place to experiment some of his moves. His play at the Xin'ao Cup has been fine, and he's still on track for his 5th world title.

Post #60 Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 am 
Judan

xiayun wrote:
I could see him treating the domestic league as a place to experiment some of his moves. His play at the Xin'ao Cup has been fine, and he's still on track for his 5th world title.

His Xinao game today vs Li Zhe (which he won) was pretty experimental too!. The sliding too far into a 4-4 'trick' that I think Ichiriki played in a big match but I hadn't seen used by top Chinese players yet, and another early 3-3. Li also player Master-style with the attachment into a micro-Chinese as in Master game #1. See viewtopic.php?p=219141#p219141.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next