It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 LG cup
Post #21 Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:48 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 4
Quote:
Well, we can't forget that zero Japanese players advanced through the preliminaries. That was the main reason that there were only four from Japan in the final (China had only five seeded players, see the OP). Nevertheless, the results so far make it look like the right two guys are fighting it out back home in the Honinbo.

Well, the problem is that top Japanese players (e.g Yamashita, Cho U...) don't usually play preliminaries of international tournament. Or they get seed, or they don't participate. If Japan can get good result in this LG Cup, I hope this will change.

In the preliminaries, I see some hopeful Japanese names like Murakawa Daisuke, Anzai Nobuaki or Fujita Akihiko, but they're all knock-out.

By the way, it was a shame that all Korean lost on their homeland.

Go Iyama, I don't want to see China dominates the Go world!!

Post #22 Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Interesting fact from GoGameGuru (a second article on the round of 16): the last time Japan had a player in the quarterfinals was Kono Rin in 2008, when he defeated Han Sanghoon and Baek Hongsuk.

He also had a big win when he beat Gu Li in the Fujitsu back in 2009.

Post #23 Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 528
Pairing for quarter final,

Chen Yaoye vs Iyama Yuta
Tuo Jiaxi vs Takao Shinji
Li Qincheng vs Zhou Ruiyang
Li Zhe vs Xia Jiankun

Post #24 Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
trout wrote:

Chen Yaoye vs Iyama Yuta
Li Zhe vs Xia Jiankun

Incredibly tough match-ups for the two Honinbo challengers - playing the top two players in China!

Post #25 Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:42 am 
Gosei

Reminder.....
Quarter final - 11/11/13

Chen Yaoye vs Iyama Yuta
Li Zhe vs Xia Jiankun

This post by trout was liked by: illluck

Post #26 Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
trout wrote:
Chen Yaoye vs Iyama Yuta

Really looking forward to this! My favourite modern chinese player against my favourite modern japanese player : ) I already replayed Chen Yaoye's first two games in the LG Cup and it felt like he could handle these players quite good. Japan's hope seems to be a tougher challenge =)

Post #27 Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
trout wrote:

Chen Yaoye vs Iyama Yuta
Li Zhe vs Xia Jiankun

One Chinese name should be Xia Chenkun (夏晨琨). The wrong name has been used everywhere, including 19x19, gogameguru and several online sgf 'collections'.

Also it would be nice to change the order of the 3rd and 4th pairs above to reflect the order of players in that photo.

Post #28 Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:42 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
trout wrote:
Reminder.....
Quarter final - 11/11/13

Chen Yaoye vs Iyama Yuta
Li Zhe vs Xia Jiankun

What time do these games begin?

Post #29 Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:33 pm 
Lives in gote

I am particularly excited to see Li Zhe's game. He doesn't play as much as the other top players, but he's creative and original - deeply inspired by the games of Go Seigen.

He's also a philosopher, currently undertaking graduate studies at Beida. The other Beijing pros see him as being extremely talented but quirky.

Post #30 Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
macelee wrote:
One Chinese name should be Xia Chenkun (夏晨琨). The wrong name has been used everywhere, including 19x19, gogameguru and several online sgf 'collections'.

Also it would be nice to change the order of the 3rd and 4th pairs above to reflect the order of players in that photo.

Actually, I just checked, and we've always referred to this player as Xia Chenkun (http://gogameguru.com/tag/xia-chenkun/) and we don't have any record of any other name used for this player. I'd appreciate it if you didn't vaguely include us in your comment if you haven't checked. It wastes my time going back to check, among other things.

The one time when you you did leave a comment on our site about guoshou vs guoshuo, it was due to a simple typo, so don't just presuppose that we always get everything wrong.

Also, please give trout a break. His focus is on providing news as quickly as possible after it happens, not writing Shakespeare. He's Korean and, as you know, Korean names can be romanized in several different ways, so some ambiguity with Chinese names is understandable. I'm sure he wouldn't always agree with the names you use on Go4Go either, but he doesn't criticize you. Pinyin only became the international standard for Chinese names in the 80s and still isn't used consistently in the wider Asian region, in countries where Chinese is spoken.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #31 Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:57 pm 
Lives in sente

Dear David,

I did my homework before posting that in case I got the fact wrong. Please find the attached screen capture (as you can see mistakes have been made on your site and damage has been done via Google).

And I was just trying to help, did not meant to blame anyone. So I am surprised the way you reacted.

Best regards,

Mace

Attachment:
xia.png
xia.png [ 79.89 KiB | Viewed 5876 times ]

gogameguru wrote:
macelee wrote:

Actually, I just checked, and we've always referred to this player as Xia Chenkun (http://gogameguru.com/tag/xia-chenkun/) and we don't have any record of any other name used for this player. I'd appreciate it if you didn't vaguely include us in your comment if you haven't checked. It wastes my time going back to check, among other things.

The one time when you you did leave a comment on our site about guoshou vs guoshuo, it was due to a simple typo, so don't just presuppose that we always get everything wrong.

Post #32 Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:34 am 
Lives in gote

I see, you're talking about the Go calendar? I thought you were talking about the articles on our site.

The calendar is maintained by a group of generous, volunteer contributors (including trout) who help to maintain it for the community. We, at Go Game Guru, are just part of a bigger team. We use the data from the calendar on our site, the same way you do at Go4Go, but I don't consider the calendar to be ours, because it's a joint effort, so I was confused about what you could be referring to.

One of us (from Go Game Guru) will log in once a week to update it, tidy things up, and correct any errors we find, but other people are logging in and updating it at all different times. Sometimes people make mistakes and nobody has the resources to pay someone to sit there and make it perfect.

The exact same thing was also displayed on Go4Go because of that, so the situation is no different:
Attachment:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png [ 18.84 KiB | Viewed 5868 times ]

If you're really worried about this, how about joining us and helping to maintain it? That way you could fix any errors that concern you immediately.

The reason why I came back a bit sharply was that I always see people here criticizing trout when he posts these updates. People tell him that he doesn't format the date properly, or that he made some spelling mistake, or something else. Seriously? He posts a huge amount of news here that isn't available anywhere else in English and he doesn't expect anything in return, so I just think people could lay off with the criticism a little and be a little more grateful.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #33 Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:06 am 
Lives in sente

Hi David,

Just to repeat, I never meant to criticize anyone. Just try to help. I respect trout's work a lot and in the past very frequently participated the discussions in his posts and sometimes added values to his posts.

The Go4Go even calendar is generated automatically using the RSS feed from your site (with credit) so no wonder if contains the same error. In fact I will be very happy to contribute to that calendar - please let me know what I need to do.

May I also suggest that we all think twice before using any harsh words as those only serve to discourage people from voicing their ideas and making contributions to the community.

This post by macelee was liked by: illluck

Post #34 Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:11 am 
Lives in gote

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Post #35 Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Thank-you each for all your hard and continued work: Trout, macelee (Go4Go), GoGameGuru & Affiliates.

This post by logan was liked by 5 people: dejvo, ez4u, gustav, Joaz Banbeck, SoDesuNe

Post #36 Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:50 pm 
Gosei

Quarter Final;

Chen Yaoye defeated Iyama Yuta by resign.
Zhou Ruiyang defeated Li Qincheng by resign.
Tuo Jiaxi defeated Takao Shinji by 4.5.
Li Zhe defeated Xia Chenkun by resign.

Chen Yaoye vs Iyama Yuta

Zhou Ruiyang vs Li Qincheng

Spelling for Chinese player is very difficult due to I am getting info from Korean site which is using Korean pronunciation. Sometime I copy name from http://igokisen.web.fc2.com/news.html where it has tournament view. But go news site probably uses Japanese style pronunciation for Chinese name(Most of time they uses correct spelling. And when I find incorrect spelling, I tried to correct it by many time guessing or consult with go4go for correct Chinese spelling(I know this site is run by Chinese.).).

Last edited by trout on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #37 Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
Shame Iyama Yuta lost. I was really pulling for him. He got decimated in that game (from my humble point of view). Hopefully Takao Shinji can pull off a victory.

Post #38 Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:03 am 
Lives in sente

trout wrote:

Spelling for Chinese player is very difficult due to I am getting info from Korean site which is using Korean pronunciation. Sometime I copy name from http://igokisen.web.fc2.com/news.html where it has tournament view. But go news site probably uses Japanese style pronunciation for Chinese name(Most of time they uses correct spelling. And when I find incorrect spelling, I tried to correct it by many time guessing or consult with go4go for correct Chinese spelling(I know this site is run by Chinese.).).

trout, thanks for you hard work doing us a good service here. No worry about the occasional mistakes. Even native Chinese speakers can sometimes get things wrong because some characters used in names are not commonly used elsewhere and other characters have multiple pronunciations, which all complicate things.

Post #39 Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:52 am 
Lives in gote

I told you all that Li Zhe was cool to watch - what a unique style of play!

Post #40 Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:27 am 
Lives in sente

cdybeijing wrote:
I told you all that Li Zhe was cool to watch - what a unique style of play!

Totally agree. It looks like he values things quite differently, therefore driving his game to very unique directions. Might have something to do with his degree study in philosophy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next