It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cho Chikun's Best Year
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:15 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 22
I am considering to start studying some Cho Chikun and was wondering which year was his best. I like to study people for a year of play as from to year players change and become different people on the board.

After checking senei's library and the wikipedia page I found that he won the most titles in 1996 (6) but the wikipedia site says that his peak was during 80-81, both years he didn't win that many titles but then in 1982 he won the second most he has ever won in a year (5).

Obviously he was younger in 1982 and had recently been promoted to 9 dan so I assume 1982 was his best year but I find it kind of odd that he came back in 1996 to win 6 titles.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Post subject: Re: Cho Chikun's Best Year
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Two things:

1) he was hit by a motorcycle in 1986, and this hurt his play for at least a year.

2) more importantly, he did well for almost the entire period in question: http://senseis.xmp.net/?BigTitles. 1982 and 1996 are just two peaks spread through an incredibly long and successful career.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Subotai wrote:

After checking senei's library and the wikipedia page I found that he won the most titles in 1996 (6) but the wikipedia site says that his peak was during 80-81, both years he didn't win that many titles but then in 1982 he won the second most he has ever won in a year (5).

Obviously he was younger in 1982 and had recently been promoted to 9 dan so I assume 1982 was his best year but I find it kind of odd that he came back in 1996 to win 6 titles.

Can anyone explain this to me?

I am not a scholar (calling Mr. Fairbairn), but I suspect the wikipedia quote could be interpreted differently than you did. I take it to mean that is when he entered the prime of his career, which he sustained for quite a while. If my memory serves, he won a world title after 2000.

Post subject: Cho Chikun's Best Year
Post #4 Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Subotai, I think you are a victim of an illusion. Illusion that make you think a profesional play good games only when he is winning titles. I can assure you that you are wrong :)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
One of Cho's most remarkable achievements was winning the Honinbo title 10 consecutive years. It would be reasonable to say that he was at his peak during those years so it might be interesting to study the games of these Honinbo title matches. As for Cho Chikun, he was asked to describe his go style and he replied "flexible" which might be interpreted a no special style.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
gowan wrote:
As for Cho Chikun, he was asked to describe his go style and he replied "flexible" which might be interpreted a no special style.

I was struck when reviewing Cho's games in the Tournament Go 1992 book that he sometimes went for influence and centre moyos, not always the territory lover as some imagine.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:12 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 22
Of course winning titles doesn't necessarily determine one's best year but it is a marker nonetheless. I do realize that Cho has had a very long and successful career but I would like to find his top year so that it is easier to study.

Thanks for all of your comments.