It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My favorite pro game, period.
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:03 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
This game, played in 1988, is my favorite pro game. Why? Because literally everything I know about my current play style comes from this game.

I can't get the SGF thing to work. For some reason, it keeps saying INVALID GAME DATA RECEIVED. :(

Attachments:
Takemiya vs Rin Kaiho.sgf [1.23 KiB]
Downloaded 1731 times

Post subject: Re: My favorite pro game, period.
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I don't know why you are getting the invalid game data error.

I just did the following:
* Download your file, without modifying it
* Opened it in a text editor
* Pasted the contents into this message
* Added "[ sgf ]" above it (without spaces)
* Added "[ / sgf ]" below it (without spaces)

Works fine, doesn't it?

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Easier is to just paste the SGF url (download/file.php?id=4031) between sgf forum tags:

For a new post, upload the file, then preview the post to get the correct url.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
KenPruitt wrote:
This game, played in 1988, is my favorite pro game. Why? Because literally everything I know about my current play style comes from this game.

I can't get the SGF thing to work. For some reason, it keeps saying INVALID GAME DATA RECEIVED. :(

Did you discover this game in the Master Play series volume about Takemiya? I'd heard some about Takemiya before but when I read that book years ago I fell in love with his style! If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. This game is the first one commented on.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
This is a side note, but I also find the SGF upload a little surprising in its behavior: viewtopic.php?p=156717&f=5#p156717.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 am 
Dies in gote

Monadology wrote:
KenPruitt wrote:

Did you discover this game in the Master Play series volume about Takemiya? I'd heard some about Takemiya before but when I read that book years ago I fell in love with his style! If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. This game is the first one commented on.

I bought that book years ago because I was told that I play like Takemiya. Of course, I didn't know who Takemiya was, neither had I seen any of his games. When I saw that book available for purchase, I immediately bought it. My play improved DRASTICALLY, and by drastically I mean by about 3 - 4 stones just from reading that book.

This post by KenPruitt was liked by: Monadology

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:24 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
This game is famous - it is the final game of the 1st Fujitsu Cup.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Great players are always a source of inspiration. Takemiya is probably most cited as such a source because his game is very different from most other pros. He prefers influence over territory to the extreme because the added loss in each exchange becomes a win when combined into an overall thickness.

Most amateurs take this inspiration only so far that they get confirmation for their preference for big central moyos. And this is very much okay. I think it is a great way to learn why big central moyos, when built single mindedly, are a losing strategy.

The next level to learn from Takemiya is why he can still win with this apparent losing strategy. How can his moyos become so enormous, or so thick, that they yield enough territory after invasion or cannot even be invaded? What kind of pressure does he exert in the exchanges leading to his 4 square influence? What compromises does he make? How does he do this with White?

Then there's all the technique and reading underneath this strategy.

It is interesting to see that few people claim they play like Park Jungwan, or even Lee Sedol or Gu Li, or any pro other than Takemiya, because their game doesn't lead to any such kind of superficial comparison.

Below amateur 5 dan, people who think they play like Takemiya are more likely to play a single minded central moyo game. From 5 dan onward, people are strong enough to know they don't play like him, and the vast majority even don't try.

Still a great source of inspiration!

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 am 
Dies in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
Great players are always a source of inspiration. Takemiya is probably most cited as such a source because his game is very different from most other pros. He prefers influence over territory to the extreme because the added loss in each exchange becomes a win when combined into an overall thickness.

Most amateurs take this inspiration only so far that they get confirmation for their preference for big central moyos. And this is very much okay. I think it is a great way to learn why big central moyos, when built single mindedly, are a losing strategy.

The next level to learn from Takemiya is why he can still win with this apparent losing strategy. How can his moyos become so enormous, or so thick, that they yield enough territory after invasion or cannot even be invaded? What kind of pressure does he exert in the exchanges leading to his 4 square influence? What compromises does he make? How does he do this with White?

Then there's all the technique and reading underneath this strategy.

It is interesting to see that few people claim they play like Park Jungwan, or even Lee Sedol or Gu Li, or any pro other than Takemiya, because their game doesn't lead to any such kind of superficial comparison.

Below amateur 5 dan, people who think they play like Takemiya are more likely to play a single minded central moyo game. From 5 dan onward, people are strong enough to know they don't play like him, and the vast majority even don't try.

Still a great source of inspiration!

The reason he's able to do so is very obvious. Takemiya doesn't set out to create a moyo from the start. Instead, he lets his moyo develop naturally with the natural give and take of the stones.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:00 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 11
KGS: oiseaux
Kaya handle: oiseaux
This is a fascinating game and you can clearly see Takemiya's style at work. As an SDK it certainly doesn't excite me to start trying to idly build center moyos and pretend I have a 'style', but it is a solid lesson in how to build influence and calmly play influential moves despite the ever-present desire to try and cash in territory on the corners and sides. Patience and confidence in your moves - play the moves you WANT to play.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
The more things one learns in Go, the more options there are. I could play like Takemiya Masaki or Pak Jeonghwan, but would I be able to apply effectively their style of play against a wide range of opponents? If I had their experience and powers of analysis, yes.

Takemiya is one of the masters of influence-based play, but for some reason I think games by Huang Longshi are better for those wanting to know how to use outward influence effectively, even though the style of play typical of Go in 18th-century China has been obsolete for some time. Perhaps it's the violent style of play found in games from that period that I find attractive. Takemiya's style has a "tai chi" feel to it, which would be a good reason for me to learn more about it. Also, in old China almost all games of Go began with a tasukiboshi (crossed star point) opening, which often presented the need for fighting to make up for the diluted outward influence. Would it be possible for a pro player of today to adopt such a style of play in tournaments?

Post #12 Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
Takemiya is famous for his cosmic style, but I haven't seen a lot of other people that are willing to risk playing this style.

Post #13 Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
I'd be interested in 4D+ to show us their favorite/most influential pro games.

Post #14 Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Pippen wrote:
I'd be interested in 4D+ to show us their favorite/most influential pro games.

Or 3D-

:)

Post #15 Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
4d+ means "4d or higher rank" in my language.^^

Post #16 Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:17 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 544
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Takemiya included this game in his two volume collection Uchuu Ryuu, Takemiya Masaki Kaikyoku Sen (Cosmic Style, A Selection of Enjoyable Games by Takemiya Masaki, ISBN 978-4-905689-07-2). I think this game is famous because it was the deciding game for one of the very first "world championships". In fact, judging by Takemiya's comments, Takemiya's play didn't overwhelm Rin exactly. Takemiya identifies White 50 as a bad move and points out a fairly simple five move sequence at that point that would have left Black (Takemiya) with a painful game. Also, Takemiya identifies White 60 as the losing move and gives a four move sequence that would have left the players with equal chances from that point.