It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with WebStart
Post #1 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I had a disk crash recently. The new disk no longer has the .SGF association with Cgoban. I tried to run WebStart from from KGS page. It comes up with a screen which says the sigital signature has been verified so I click Run. It immediately comes back with "Failed to validate certificate". I am assuming there is some security setting I need to fix. It is my employers machine but I have amdin privileges on it.

Can anyone help?

Post subject: Re: Problem with WebStart
Post #2 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Is it still installed? (Showing up in the "Add or Remove Programs" list?)

I had a similar problem, and after uninstalling it from there and grabbing the webstart, it started working again.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:54 am 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Thanks. I basically got the same response from glue when I mailed admin. It didn't work but I have not had time to look at it again yet.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:41 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
You could try another version of Java. When I search for other people that have had similar problems on google, a common theme seems to be that "it worked with Java version X, but not with Java version Y" (where X and Y are version numbers). Here's an example:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bu ... id=5056088

So maybe you could install a different version of Java and see if it resolves the issue.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:03 pm 
Oza

Kirby wrote:
You could try another version of Java. When I search for other people that have had similar problems on google, a common theme seems to be that "it worked with Java version X, but not with Java version Y" (where X and Y are version numbers). Here's an example:

So maybe you could install a different version of Java and see if it resolves the issue.

Problem is that it is my employers computer an I need the version of Java for some of the tools on there so I do not want to risk changing it.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:52 pm 
Honinbo

DrStraw wrote:
Kirby wrote:

Problem is that it is my employers computer an I need the version of Java for some of the tools on there so I do not want to risk changing it.

Okay, then. If you can't change your java version, maybe you can try a hack I just made up (which seems to work for me).

First of all, are you using a Windows machine? I am assuming you're using Windows since a lot of people use Windows. I don't personally use Windows much, but here is a method that might work on Windows:

1.) Download the actual jar file (not the jnlp) from this site:
http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban.jar

2.) Open up notepad, or another text editor.

3.) Type the following text into the editor:
java -jar cgoban.jar %1

4.) Save the file in the same directory as your cgoban.jar file. Change the file extension to be BAT instead of TXT, so that it is an executable windows bat file.

5.) Go to the Windows Control Panel.

6.) Click on the Tools menu, and then "Folder Options..."

7.) Click on the "File Types" tab.

8.) See if "SGF" is listed as a registered file type. If it is not, then click on the "New" button, type SGF for the "File Extension", click "OK", then you should see an SGF entry in the list.

9.) Click on the SGF entry, and then click the "Change..." button.

10.) In the "Open With" dialog, find the bat file you saved in step 4. Select that bat file, check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" checkbox, and click "OK".

This should make the cgoban.jar file open sgf files in Windows.

It is just a hack that uses the jar file directly.

By the way, if the bat file does not work, it may be because you don't have your java home directory set in your path. You can check this by opening a command window and seeing if typing "java" successfully executes the java command. If you need help setting this up, let me know, and I can provide further explanation.

This post by Kirby was liked by: daal

Post #7 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:05 pm 
Oza

Thanks Kirby. I'll give that a try when I feel I have enough time. Sounds like it will take more than a few minutes.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:37 pm 
Honinbo

DrStraw wrote:
Thanks Kirby. I'll give that a try when I feel I have enough time. Sounds like it will take more than a few minutes.

Okay, cool. If it doesn't work out for you (it did for me, though), maybe we can come up with another idea.

The instructions I gave are probably not as hard as they look. The simple version is here:

1.) Make a bat file that executes cgoban.jar along with a parameter.
2.) Associate that bat file with your SGF files.

The other steps were just to explain one possible way to do this.