All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trollnament VI - New Tournament on KGS! Starting August 9th
Post #1 Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 3
KGS: Namii
Trollnament VI - Starting August 9th - http://jhuun.kapsi.fi/troll

Trollnament will launch its sixth edition, Trollnament VI, which will be an improved version of our earlier fourth Trollnament.

Our goal is to get minimum 112 players (of which we already have 47 as of 26.5). The biggest tournament we ever held was Trollnament IV with 64 players, so our goal this time is a challenge.

UPDATE (15.7) We reached 145 registrants and the registration is now closed. However, you can still apply for back-up places! Contact Namii on KGS.

The tournament will start off as 10 leagues, with 14 players in each, for 6 players qualifying per league to the main tournament.

The main tournament will be double-elimination, with certain qualifiers getting seeded depending on how well they did in the league phase.

For now, the prize pool is around 300$ + teaching games raffle for hardworking league-players!

The tournament is hosted at the KGS Room Cave, under Social.

You can Register here: http://jhuun.kapsi.fi/troll/troll6_reg.html (Closed as of 15.7)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

League rules

Schedule:
Every player is responsible for arranging his own games.
Unfortunately, KGS Admins weren't too eager to allow us specific league rooms, so it is advisable players try to keep track of their leaguemates themselves.

Limitations:
Max games allowed: 20
Max games against the same opponent allowed: 3
56 players will qualify to the main tournament, 6 per league.

League playing rules:
19x19 Even Games
6,5 Komi
Japanese Ruleset
30 minutes + 0:30x3 Japanese Byo-yomi

http://jhuun.kapsi.fi/troll/index4.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Main Tournament will have progressive (increases as you get further in the tournament) time settings, which will also be a lot slower than in the league phase.

For example, you can check how they were in Trollnament IV here: http://jhuun.kapsi.fi/troll/trollnament4.html
The tournament format was the same back then.

If you're interested, you can check other Trollnaments here: http://jhuun.kapsi.fi/troll/main.html

Comments, suggestions and any kind of feedback is more than welcome.

Also, Namii on KGS or here will answer any questions.

Last edited by Namii on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Namii was liked by: cdybeijing

Post subject: Re: Trollnament VI - New Tournament on KGS! Starting August
Post #2 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:59 am 
Beginner

Thought I should update this. We have now reached 56 players, which means half of the goal :-)

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:32 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 21
KGS: Azumi93
Online playing schedule: When I am in a mood for Go :D
Is it only for KGS + members or I can join as well? :geek:

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Everyone can join as far as I know.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:44 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
I registered succesfully and am not KGS +

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:17 am 
Beginner

I've been away for 3 weeks and haven't been able to answer any questions, sorry for that.

EDIT: Seems the posts were today, lucky me.

The tournament is open for everyone. Please don't hesitate to register.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:31 am 
Beginner

Update(8.7): We have reached 106 players! The registration won't stop at 112, there is no upper limit for players! At 112 we merely have enough people launch the tournament.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
I am interested in joining the tournament, but I do not understand the preliminary league format. Where can I find information on that?

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:47 am 
Beginner

First a short update: We now have 123 players! almost 20 more in less than 24 hours!

Quote:
I am interested in joining the tournament, but I do not understand the preliminary league format. Where can I find information on that?

When the league-phase begins, all participants will be split evenly into 8 different leagues.
You will compete against the other 13+ players in your league.
You are allowed to play a maximum 20 games, and a maximum 3 against a same opponent.
This means the league is a sort of semi-round-robin format.
After the league phase ends, everyone's performance in your league will be inspected and the top 7 players in your league move on to the next stage, the Main Tournament. This is done to all 8 leagues, giving us 56 qualifiers. These players, giving their performance in their own respective leagues, have already qualified. Now they will simply be ranked in a top 56 list, and the qualifying places in the Main Tournament will be decided from this list.

If you have any questions, don't neglect to ask!

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Namii wrote:
First a short update: We now have 123 players! almost 20 more in less than 24 hours!

Quote:

When the league-phase begins, all participants will be split evenly into 8 different leagues.
You will compete against the other 13+ players in your league.
You are allowed to play a maximum 20 games, and a maximum 3 against a same opponent.
This means the league is a sort of semi-round-robin format.
After the league phase ends, everyone's performance in your league will be inspected and the top 7 players in your league move on to the next stage, the Main Tournament. This is done to all 8 leagues, giving us 56 qualifiers. These players, giving their performance in their own respective leagues, have already qualified. Now they will simply be ranked in a top 56 list, and the qualifying places in the Main Tournament will be decided from this list.

If you have any questions, don't neglect to ask!

My question is about how the league-phase performance is assessed, since the number of games played and choice of opponents is discretionary. If somebody goes 5-0, and someone else goes 11 - 7, who perfomed better? What are the criteria?

Post #11 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:06 am 
Beginner

Quote:
My question is about how the league-phase performance is assessed, since the number of games played and choice of opponents is discretionary. If somebody goes 5-0, and someone else goes 11 - 7, who perfomed better? What are the criteria?

An excellent question.

We are not approaching this issue from a pure win%-basis.
We will use a 'score' system, which is still under experimentation. (I already scrapped 2 score-systems, now I'm testing a 3rd one.)

Some problems I'm looking to address:
- Every league-player should be willing to play every other league-player. (Because it straight-on improves his chances) For this, playing against unique opponents grants some sort of a bonus. (It's changed from a constant to some percentage bonus.)
- Players should not stop playing at 12-0, 15-0 or results like these. So win% will mean something, but not that much.
- The ultimate goal is to have every player finish all 20 games, this gives the best possible score, and also enables one to partake in the raffle for the teaching game prize.

For now, I've made a calculator to analyse and balance different results, you can find it [here].
Right now it shouldn't be all that balanced, though.
The entire system might be scrapped tomorrow, but it should give some view as to how the scoring will work.
The current system is really simplified. (Before I had all kinds of bonuses and additional details, but I dropped them because they didn't seem too necessary. Now I'm looking to make a simple, but working one.)

EDIT: Ah, and not to scare anyone off, for players it's not necessary to understand any of it. It will all be counted out automatically. I'm planning to just give some basic information how it works when the tournament starts.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Namii wrote:
Quote:

An excellent question.

We are not approaching this issue from a pure win%-basis.
We will use a 'score' system, which is still under experimentation. (I already scrapped 2 score-systems, now I'm testing a 3rd one.)

Some problems I'm looking to address:
- Every league-player should be willing to play every other league-player. (Because it straight-on improves his chances) For this, playing against unique opponents grants some sort of a bonus. (It's changed from a constant to some percentage bonus.)
- Players should not stop playing at 12-0, 15-0 or results like these. So win% will mean something, but not that much.
- The ultimate goal is to have every player finish all 20 games, this gives the best possible score, and also enables one to partake in the raffle for the teaching game prize.

For now, I've made a calculator to analyse and balance different results, you can find it [here].
Right now it shouldn't be all that balanced, though.
The entire system might be scrapped tomorrow, but it should give some view as to how the scoring will work.
The current system is really simplified. (Before I had all kinds of bonuses and additional details, but I dropped them because they didn't seem too necessary. Now I'm looking to make a simple, but working one.)

EDIT: Ah, and not to scare anyone off, for players it's not necessary to understand any of it. It will all be counted out automatically. I'm planning to just give some basic information how it works when the tournament starts.

oh, math :?:

Post #13 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 199
GD Posts: 11
KGS: Hushfield
This tournament looks Capital E Epic. I registered. Thank you very much for organizing such a beast of a tournament and providing us with this opportunity.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:31 pm 
Beginner

kokomi wrote:
oh, math :?:

Yeah, indeed. Doesn't help I'm absolutely horrible at it.
After the failure in some leagues in Trollnament 4, I decided there has to be some sort of a system to "measure" players in this new Trollnament.

Hushfield wrote:
This tournament looks Capital E Epic. I registered. Thank you very much for organizing such a beast of a tournament and providing us with this opportunity.

It's my pleasure. Welcome to the Trollnament! I never expected I could get +140 players :) I was making back-up plans on how to host this with ~80-90 players. Now I have to re-figure out everything again, since the old plan is not optimised for so many players ^^

It's going to get hectic for me too :)

Post #15 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:29 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
The tournament starts at August 9th. When will the registering be closed?

Post #16 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:46 pm 
Beginner

karaklis wrote:
The tournament starts at August 9th. When will the registering be closed?

(edited): Now ;-(

http://jhuun.kapsi.fi/troll/troll6_reg.html

The old plan will not work with any more players :-( and unfortunately I don't have time to come up with an entirely different system.

Last edited by Namii on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Hushfield wrote:

Make me want to join as well. But I have already ASR and L19, and I'm very procrastinated on both of them. And yeah, if i get kicked out by LiKao this friday..

Post #18 Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:36 pm 
Beginner

If there's still people interested, we are accepting registrations to replace dropped-out players.
Just PM me or leave me a message on KGS including your KGS playing account, rank and country.
There's pretty much instant entry for almost all ranks.

Please bear in mind at this point, there's only two weeks left until the league phase ends.
So only register if you think your schedule can take it.