It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Several Games
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:38 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
Hello, I've played several games over the past few days. And I must say, I'm quite proud of myself. My record on KGS is 5-6, but I've won 5 out of my last eight, which I think is pretty good. However, I know I've still got A LOT to learn. This was made apparent to me when I challenged a 15K opponent and got slaughtered.

So, any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Several Games
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
The big handicap game was lost with the push at P12. You cut off two stones, but you have to defend your weakness (at R12) to make sure they don't connect back.

In the second game you make a jump to H1 with move 25... I have no idea what your idea was behind that (descent is an idea, but just descend solidly at H2). J5 a couple moves later is also a little weird... J3 is better. Just be solid and connected, and rip apart the other guy when he fails to be solid. :)

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:10 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
You can ask for help in the godiscussions.com room as well. Join in Rooms->Clubs->Godiscussions.com.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:44 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Look at your signature. Now, in your first game, look at moves 10, 12, 13, 36, 37, 38, 43, 42, 43, 44 (why did you play this at all?), 85, 86, 87, etc. Now look at your opponent's comment:
cebd [19k] wrote:
looks like we're still playing on 1st and 2nd line^^

;-)

Now go through your other games again and resolve not to play such 1 - 4 point moves until the end of the game.

Good luck in your future games! Remember, if your opponents start to play such small moves, ignore! Take bigger points unless your group's health is in danger.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:17 pm 
Lives in sente

I know it's probably weird to revive an old topic but I can't believe it has been 10 years since I posted this. And even though it's been awhile it's fun looking back on these old games since I did make SDK before I stopped playing. So many awful moves. When this was originally posted I was only a month removed from high school. Time truly does fly.

This post by hailthorn011 was liked by: dfan

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:54 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
It's nice to be reminded of how much we've learned! Sometimes I'm frustrated that I haven't progressed farther than I have, and then I remember how much the old 10k dfan would be in awe at the amazing moves that I play now.

This post by dfan was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:43 pm 
Lives in sente

dfan wrote:
It's nice to be reminded of how much we've learned! Sometimes I'm frustrated that I haven't progressed farther than I have, and then I remember how much the old 10k dfan would be in awe at the amazing moves that I play now.

I've been away from the game for two years but am still good enough to be SDK. Did NOT expect that. But yeah I was just looking over old posts and I saw this and though I wanted a look. I'm sure stronger players would look at my current games and do the same but c'est la vie and all that lol.

Honestly it's weird because I don't have posts from this long ago on any other website so it's interesting to see how much I've...matured to put it lightly.

Maybe we could play a game some time. I really miss the Malkovich games. And I'm still kind of tip toeing back into playing.