It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kombilo 0.7.1
Post #21 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:35 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 40
For the next major version (0.8) I would like to add translations into other languages in addition to English to Kombilo.

If you would like to see Kombilo in your own language, and are willing to help, please have a look at http://u-go.net/2012/apr/16/i18n/.

Apart from translating the menu entries, window titles, etc., there naturally comes up the question whether the program should try to translate (part of) the information stored in the SGF files, when displaying it. E.g. if the result is given as "B+R" in an "English language" sgf file, it might be quite confusing in combination with a language where "B" stands for the white player (as French, say). What's a good way to go about this?

Best regards,

Ulrich

Post #22 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 55
ugoertz wrote:
For the next major version (0.8) I would like to add translations into other languages in addition to English to Kombilo.

If you would like to see Kombilo in your own language, and are willing to help, please have a look at http://u-go.net/2012/apr/16/i18n/.

Apart from translating the menu entries, window titles, etc., there naturally comes up the question whether the program should try to translate (part of) the information stored in the SGF files, when displaying it. E.g. if the result is given as "B+R" in an "English language" sgf file, it might be quite confusing in combination with a language where "B" stands for the white player (as French, say). What's a good way to go about this?

Best regards,

Ulrich

I definitely wouldn't do that. You would need to detect the language in the SGF file (so you know when to translate) and the uncertainty might be way too big.
Further, translating comments in sgf files would probably annoy most players given the overall quality of most translation tools and it makes little sense to translate the "meta information" and not the comments themselves.

You can leave that as an options though.

Post #23 Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Hello,

ez4u wrote:
Date Profile
This is a great addition. I have spent the last few months working on this manually in excel. However, it should be part of the Export search results file instead. Working with GoGoD (at least) the granularity needs to be higher than it is possible to show in the lower right corner area. [...]

I have worked a little on extending the date profile feature. In Kombilo 0.8 you will be able to vary the granularity (up to 1-month intervals), as well as the time period which is considered. Furthermore, some date information for continuations can be displayed.

Here is a preview of how it looks at the moment. I would like to hear your feedback. Furthermore, I am not yet sure in which form this information should appear in the "Export search results" text: as a table, or would it be better to produce a chart diagram as an image file?

If you have suggestions, please reply here or email me.

Best regards

Ulrich

Post #24 Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:45 am 
Judan

Was liked: 791
Currently I still lack time to replace Kombilo 0.5 by 0.72 on my PC. Therefore my comments are on version 0.5; ignore if 0.72 has already solved the issues. I use Windows 7 64b.

1) The Save As dialog shows SGF but, for each file, one has to manually type ".sgf" so that the file gets its extension. Suggestion: automatically add the promised file extension.

2) The Save As dialog does not remember the last used path. Therefore tree walk is necessary for each file saved-as under another name. Suggestion: Remember the last used path. (If it cannot be stored permanently, remember at least as long as the current program instance is running.)

Post #25 Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm 
Dies in gote

Hi Robert,

thanks for your comments.

RobertJasiek wrote:
Currently I still lack time to replace Kombilo 0.5 by 0.72 on my PC. Therefore my comments are on version 0.5; ignore if 0.72 has already solved the issues. I use Windows 7 64b.

1) The Save As dialog shows SGF but, for each file, one has to manually type ".sgf" so that the file gets its extension. Suggestion: automatically add the promised file extension.

This was (surprisingly for me) a Linux/Windows issue. Should work in 0.7.3 on Windows too.

Quote:
2) The Save As dialog does not remember the last used path. Therefore tree walk is necessary for each file saved-as under another name. Suggestion: Remember the last used path. (If it cannot be stored permanently, remember at least as long as the current program instance is running.)

This should work in 0.7.* already. (There is a situation where the path is not remembered, namely using "Export SGF". To fix that would be a little annoying, and since this does not seem to be a major use case, it currently has low priority ... please complain if you want to change this :) )

Best regards,

Ulrich

Post #26 Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:28 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
The wildcard searching with shift-click seems to be broken in 0.7.2. For example:
This pattern does not give me back all Susaku Fuseki games with a White stone on one of the starred points in the upper left. Instead it returns 4 games in which the upper left is empty.
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B Search Pattern
$$+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
$$| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$| . . . * . . . . . . . . . . O . . . . |
$$| . . . * . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$| . . . * . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$| . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$| . . X , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +[/go]

[go]$$B Continuations
$$| . . . * b . . . . . . . . . O . . . . |
$$| . . d * . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$| . . X , . . . . . , . . . a . , . . . |

Statistics:
4 matches (4/0), B: 0.0%, W: 100.0%

By the way, it would be a great improvement for fuseki searches to be able to use separate wildcards for Black stones and White stones.

Post #27 Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:50 pm 
Dies in gote

Dave,

thank you for the report.

ez4u wrote:
The wildcard searching with shift-click seems to be broken in 0.7.2. For example:
This pattern does not give me back all Susaku Fuseki games with a White stone on one of the starred points in the upper left. Instead it returns 4 games in which the upper left is empty.
[go]$$B Search Pattern
$$| . . . * . . . . . . . . . . O . . . . |
$$| . . . * . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$| . . X , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |

Statistics:
4 matches (4/0), B: 0.0%, W: 100.0%

Just to confirm: you only get 4 games and no others? Those 4 games are valid hits, but of course there should be many others, and I checked that I do get them (a total of 635 games in GoGoD Winter 2011).

Did you maybe accidentally have "Next move" set to white?

Quote:
By the way, it would be a great improvement for fuseki searches to be able to use separate wildcards for Black stones and White stones.

This is possible (assuming that it works correctly) by shift-clicking the green wildcard dot again (it will then turn black, and search for "black or empty"), or clicking once more (and it will turn white and search for "white or empty"). (Shift-clicking the white dot will remove the wildcard.)

I will think some more about what could have gone wrong with your search. It is very conceivable that it was caused by some Kombilo bug, I just have to find a way to reproduce it.

Best regards,

Ulrich

Post #28 Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:04 am 
Oza

ugoertz wrote:
Just to confirm: you only get 4 games and no others? Those 4 games are valid hits, but of course there should be many others, and I checked that I do get them (a total of 635 games in GoGoD Winter 2011).

Did you maybe accidentally have "Next move" set to white?

No my mistake was to use the house icon "reset game list" and forget that I had set a move limit of 5 in my previous search. :oops: It appears there is nothing wrong with the shift-click. Sorry about that!

Post #29 Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:26 pm 
Dies in gote

Hello,

I just released Kombilo 0.7.3, see http://u-go.net/2012/may/23/kombilo073/. Apart from a few small fixes, the main addition is the possibility to retrieve a list of all duplicates (the search for duplicates spans all active databases).

Best,

Ulrich

Post #30 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 pm 
Dies in gote

Hello,

I just released Kombilo 0.7.4, see http://u-go.net/2012/aug/06/kombilo074/, which fixes a bug in the search algorithm which caused some partial board patterns to be missed by the search, under very special circumstances. Thanks to John Fairbairn for finding it and pointing it out to me.

Ulrich

Post #31 Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 am 
Oza

I am using kombilo 0.7.4 on the Summer 2012 GoGoD database. When I search on the empty board, I get no hits. In previous versions I got a list of all even games. Since I fiddle around so much, I do not know whether I have messed something up in the configuration or this is a bug in the current version. Does anyone else see this behavior?

Post #32 Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 283
GD Posts: 484
Hi, Ulrich, and thanks for all the work you do. I am working on the Winter 2012 update and successfully run the new database on my desktop (74,426 games) but then on my laptop I tried to do a shortcut. I highlighted all the database directories and clicked "Reprocess DB". Now, every time I try to boot Kombilo I get a MS Visual message saying that Runtime has asked to terminate the application in an unusual way and it closes the program. I tried uninstalling and re-instaslling the program, but I still get the same message. Any ideas?

Quote from J R R Tolkien "Shortcuts usaually mean long delays".

Best wishes.

Post #33 Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 57
Was liked: 19
TMark wrote:
Hi, Ulrich, and thanks for all the work you do. I am working on the Winter 2012 update and successfully run the new database on my desktop (74,426 games) but then on my laptop I tried to do a shortcut. I highlighted all the database directories and clicked "Reprocess DB". Now, every time I try to boot Kombilo I get a MS Visual message saying that Runtime has asked to terminate the application in an unusual way and it closes the program. I tried uninstalling and re-instaslling the program, but I still get the same message. Any ideas?

Best wishes.

A better shortcut (and fix) would be to remove the kombilo db files (kombilo.* in each subdirectory) and copy them over from the desktop. It's probably best if both have the same kombilo version.

Post #34 Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 283
GD Posts: 484
averell wrote:
TMark wrote:

Best wishes.

A better shortcut (and fix) would be to remove the kombilo db files (kombilo.* in each subdirectory) and copy them over from the desktop. It's probably best if both have the same kombilo version.

Funny you mention this; I copied the database onto a USB stick last night and copied it onto the laptop this morning and that fixed the problem. One reason for running the update procedure was to check that Kombilo saw all the games and worked with both versions of Windows. Now starts the fun of copying disks!

Best wishes.

Post #35 Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Hi Ulrich,

About two weeks ago I sent to your email (which I found from your website) a 'references' file to use with Kombilo. Just wonder if you've received it.

Post #36 Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:47 am 
Dies in gote

macelee wrote:
Hi Ulrich,

About two weeks ago I sent to your email (which I found from your website) a 'references' file to use with Kombilo. Just wonder if you've received it.

Hi,

I did get your email, thank you! I will include the added references in the next version. Unfortunately I am quite busy with other things at the moment, so only little time remains for Kombilo. I will do my best to keep things going ...

Best,

Ulrich

Post #37 Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:56 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I recently partitioned my hd and moved all of my files over to the new partition. When I started Kombilo, I got an error message that it couldn't find the database files. Unfortunately, I couldn't close the error message. I couldn't find in the kombilo folder where it pointed to the old location, so I uninstalled it. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled it, the uncloseable error message reappeared. How can I fix this?

Post #38 Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:25 am 
Dies in gote

daal wrote:
I recently partitioned my hd and moved all of my files over to the new partition. When I started Kombilo, I got an error message that it couldn't find the database files. Unfortunately, I couldn't close the error message. I couldn't find in the kombilo folder where it pointed to the old location, so I uninstalled it. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled it, the uncloseable error message reappeared. How can I fix this?

Hi,

sorry for the trouble. Please try to edit the kombilo.cfg file, see http://dl.u-go.net/kombilo/doc/manual.html#kombilocfg (change the paths according to the changes on your disk), or delete the file entirely. If you delete the file, your configuration will be lost and the databases will have to be reprocessed.

Best regards,

Ulrich

Post #39 Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
ugoertz wrote:
daal wrote:

Hi,

sorry for the trouble. Please try to edit the kombilo.cfg file, see http://dl.u-go.net/kombilo/doc/manual.html#kombilocfg (change the paths according to the changes on your disk), or delete the file entirely. If you delete the file, your configuration will be lost and the databases will have to be reprocessed.

Best regards,

Ulrich

Thank you!

Post #40 Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:53 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
QUESTION DELETED AS I FOUND THE ANSWER BY MYSELF