It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Professional advice?
Post #41 Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:12 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
daal wrote:
I'm sure you have also met people who draw poorly. They emphasize unimportant details, have no sense of composition, use effects randomly etc. Probably they are not able to empty their artistic minds, because they don't have enough in them yet. So they keep drawing if they like to, and they try to gather experience.

This may be of interest.

Quote:
One way is to take drawing classes. Have you ever taken one? Sometimes a teacher will have you focus on one aspect, like the light-dark contrast or negative space. The teacher isn't so concerned about what you produce on that day because it will be artistically lopsided. She wants to add these concepts to your pool of experience so that later when you are working with an empty mind, they will jump onto your pencil at the appropriate moment.

It's funny you mention this. My ideas about how to teach and learn Go are heavily shaped by the experience of learning how to draw. If you're trying to learn how to do something, it helps to turn your games into exercises and play around with that element of the game until you're familiar with it.

This post by jts was liked by: daal

Post #42 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:14 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 2
I'm not sure what you mean with "No Mind". Do you mean to say that one should not think about why a specific move was played, but instead replay it without thinking and concentrate on the visual aspect to train ones intuition? Is it bad to unconsciously guess the next move each time?
But you said it's obviously different from the "No Mind" of playing blitz games. So I somehow understand it wrongly, because it seems very similar to me. When you play blitz games without thinking too much you just play the area that looks good, by your intuition.
What is the difference between the two states of mind, in particular how do I achieve the correct state of mind?
I only found some zen instructions when googling "No Mind"; I don't have to meditate before replaying pro games, or do I? :lol:

Post #43 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean with "No Mind".

I'm too busy to explain this, but it has nothing to do with meditation. Assuming you drive, you will have experienced a version of it yourself. You drive up the motorway and suddenly realise you have covered 100 miles but have absolutely no recollection of anything during that period. Yet you reached your current point safely and so your mind must have been working in a state of alertness unencumbered by conscious thinking. If, on the other hand, you had set out on your journey worried about your bank balance and had continued gnawing away at this problem as you drove, the chances of a prang, or at least frightening another motorist through erratic behaviour, would have been considerable.

There is a difference in studying go games because there you have to set your mental switch to 'absorb' rather than 'radiate' - but for that you already know Google is your friend (though giving your conscious brain a workout, too, and deriving the answer for yourself is no bad thing).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: Boidhre, Bonobo, robertg

Post #44 Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Since starting about 6 weeks ago, I've gone over an average of 10 games/week. I started by focusing on games of Shusaku, Go Seigen and Yi Se-tol (I wanted a player from each of the big three go countries and a bit of era mix), but lately I've been looking more at Cho Chikun because in my games I've been adopting a territorial style and I thought Cho might be a good one to look to for "advice." I'm still convinced that this is an excellent way for someone of my strength to view professional games, and whether it is helping my go or not, I am finding this way of approaching the games to be both enjoyable and inspiring. I've been seeing some great go and I've been spending enough time with the games to appreciate and admire the moves to the extent that a 5k can. I realize I won't get any converts until I reach at least 1d, but over this 6 week period I've stopped playing afraid and have won 2/3 of my games. Looks like I might need a new rank. :rambo:

This post by daal was liked by 7 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, ez4u, Joaz Banbeck, Kirby, RBerenguel, xed_over

Post #45 Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean with "No Mind".

I'm too busy to explain this, but it has nothing to do with meditation. Assuming you drive, you will have experienced a version of it yourself. You drive up the motorway and suddenly realise you have covered 100 miles but have absolutely no recollection of anything during that period...

In my case I inevitably get 100 miles down the road but have absolutely no idea whether I locked the front door when I left. No Mind? Been there, done that! :blackeye:

This post by ez4u was liked by 4 people: Akura, Bonobo, Splatted, TheBigH

Post #46 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:21 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
ez4u wrote:
In my case I inevitably get 100 miles down the road but have absolutely no idea whether I locked the front door when I left. No Mind? Been there, did that!? :blackeye:

FTFY :D

This post by RBerenguel was liked by 2 people: ez4u, HermanHiddema

Post #47 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42 am 
Oza

RBerenguel wrote:
ez4u wrote:
In my case I inevitably get 100 miles down the road but have absolutely no idea whether I locked the front door when I left. No Mind? Been there, did that!? :blackeye:

No, not really! :study:

This post by ez4u was liked by: Bonobo

Post #48 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
ez4u wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
ez4u wrote:

No, not really! :study:

I think you're missing RBerenguel's joke here. ;-)

Post #49 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:34 am 
Oza

HermanHiddema wrote:

I think you're missing RBerenguel's joke here. ;-)

:scratch: So am I. :-? Wanna give us a hint?

Post #50 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:38 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
My thought was that he changed ez4u's exclamatory statement to a question since the subject of ez4u's comment was that he'd question whether or not he'd actually done something (eg. locked the front door). In the same manner, making his statement as a question, perhaps, adds uncertainty to the statement, indicating that he's not even sure if he really did it...

Maybe someone with a better sense of humor has a more elegant interpretation.

Post #51 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Yeah, I had roughly the same interpretation as Kirby.

Perhaps "Been there, done that!" expresses rather more certainty than warranted if you're not always sure whether you locked the door a few hours ago, so RBerenguel jokingly changed it to "Been there, did that?!" to reflect that.

Post #52 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:33 pm 
Oza

Quote:
I've been looking more at Cho Chikun because in my games I've been adopting a territorial style and I thought Cho might be a good one to look to for "advice."

I see Cho and territorial paired quite often, but I think there's a fundamental misperception here. At least I do see many weaker players acting like cattle ranchers in the Wild West, rushing to stake out claims and boasting "this is mine, all mine, as far as the eye can see and then down to Rio Grande". This is what they seem to think of as a territorial style. Others, a little more prudent, just concentrate on playing in the corners and on the third line, but they likewise think of this as territorial.

I have no idea whether daal fits into either camp, but Cho Chikun certainly does not. In his recent book (which we can assume had a lot of his own input because of the liberal use of "I") he first distances himself from two common preconceptions: (1) that taking territory makes you thin and you end up making the opponent thick and (2) josekis typically end up with a split between profit and thickness, and then he explains how the flaws in that thinking lead him to the notion that "taking territory is thick".

In other words, to talk about Cho's style as territorial and not mention thick is missing his point (and vice versa, of course). The territory he talks about taking is not just a matter of points - it is of a clearly defined type: it has to be thick.

He argues that more often than not, the outside thickness the opponent gets in return is actually defective and is therefore not truly thickness. In that case taking territory can be justified. However, it has to be territory taken in such a way it is strong enough so that when you attack that weak outside thickness, there is no danger of collateral damage to your territory.

It is also permissible to give the opponent solid outside thickness if he can't do anything with it, of course, or if it is overconcentrated. But in short he is really saying that outside thickness is usually overrated, rather than saying territory is underrated.

In addition, he is careful to point out that the ways you play against this dodgy outside thickness after you have made the territory can be broken down into various types. I'd speculate that most amateurs would just think of attack, invade and cut. Cho doesn't. One major term that comes up over and over again is eguri (gouging out) which by its nature gives the opponent a lot of outside thickness, especially rather later in the game than the joseki stage, by which time it is often easier to evaluate. He seems to see eguri as the main purpose of invasion rather than splitting or erasure, and he talks about evaluating the resulting opponent's thickness specifically after eguri as a prerequisite to considering invasion.

Amongst other themes, he also differentiates between attack and ijime (tormenting), and leaving nerai and aji is also a big thing for him. Another important theme is that having solid positions means you can often tenuki, which is important when you need to operate in the centre (which is a concomitant of his "territory taking is thick" style). He also focuses quite a bit on twisting attacks (karami) but mainly, as I infer, to stress that the timing of these attacks is usually premature. Premature play can lead to outside-thickness defects being patched up easily. Delaying the attacks, which seems to be a feature of his style, is possible because the opponent is not going to take time out to plug the holes, and of course because you have strong (i.e.e thick) positions, he can't really attack you so as to remedy his defects in a smoother way.

All of this seems much more outward looking than the mere acquisitiveness that is implied in the simple word territorial.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 4 people: daal, ez4u, jeromie, snorri

Post #53 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
John Fairbairn wrote:
I have no idea whether daal fits into either camp, but Cho Chikun certainly does not. In his recent book (which we can assume had a lot of his own input because of the liberal use of "I") he first distances himself from two common preconceptions: (1) that taking territory makes you thin and you end up making the opponent thick and (2) josekis typically end up with a split between profit and thickness, and then he explains how the flaws in that thinking lead him to the notion that "taking territory is thick".

What book is this? I can't find any recent books by Cho Chikun. Maybe a 2005 Mycom book?

Post #54 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:40 pm 
Oza

Kirby wrote:
My thought was that he changed ez4u's exclamatory statement to a question since the subject of ez4u's comment was that he'd question whether or not he'd actually done something (eg. locked the front door). In the same manner, making his statement as a question, perhaps, adds uncertainty to the statement, indicating that he's not even sure if he really did it...

Maybe someone with a better sense of humor has a more elegant interpretation.

HermanHiddema wrote:
Yeah, I had roughly the same interpretation as Kirby.

Perhaps "Been there, done that!" expresses rather more certainty than warranted if you're not always sure whether you locked the door a few hours ago, so RBerenguel jokingly changed it to "Been there, did that?!" to reflect that.

Sigh... Now you see why the subtleties of Go are so challenging for me. Well played, RB! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Meanwhile back to the thread...

oren wrote:
John Fairbairn wrote:

What book is this? I can't find any recent books by Cho Chikun. Maybe a 2005 Mycom book?

I'll second that question!

Post #55 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
John Fairbairn wrote:

I see Cho and territorial paired quite often, but I think there's a fundamental misperception here. At least I do see many weaker players acting like cattle ranchers in the Wild West, rushing to stake out claims and boasting "this is mine, all mine, as far as the eye can see and then down to Rio Grande". This is what they seem to think of as a territorial style. Others, a little more prudent, just concentrate on playing in the corners and on the third line, but they likewise think of this as territorial.

Territorial != greedy.

Since he is studying the actual games of Cho Chikun and not merely fantasizing that he is Cho Chikun, the misconception, if present at all, should be cured :)

Post #56 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 pm 
Honinbo

As a side note, I have heard that, to be a good territorial player, it is important to have a very precise ability to evaluate what is happening in the game at any given point in time.

Post #57 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:37 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
Kirby wrote:
As a side note, I have heard that, to be a good territorial player, it is important to have a very precise ability to evaluate what is happening in the game at any given point in time.

Do you mean positional judgment or something else?

Post #58 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:43 pm 
Honinbo

I think positional judgment, yes. It is probably good for everyone, but I heard that it was especially relevant to territorial players.

I think I heard this somewhere recently, but I don't quite remember where... No mind???

Post #59 Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:48 am 
Oza

Quote:

Yes it's the 2005 book, but we are from different planets if you don't regard that as recent. After all, how old is go?

I reviewed the book somewhere else on L19.

Post #60 Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:26 am 
Oza

John Fairbairn wrote:
daal wrote:
I've been looking more at Cho Chikun because in my games I've been adopting a territorial style and I thought Cho might be a good one to look to for "advice."

I have no idea whether daal fits into either camp, but Cho Chikun certainly does not.

My albeit primitive conception of a territorial style is to make solid positions early on without getting sealed in, and preferably to take at least three corners. This gives me two advantages. First, I am ahead on secure points, and second, since I don't have to worry about my groups, I am free to be flexible when choosing how best to counter my opponent's influence. If I can get a good chunk in the area of my opponent' planned points, it can become difficult for him, particularly because my solid positions can prove to be valuable in any of the resulting fights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next