It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: How to study shape?
Post #101 Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:05 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Abyssinica wrote:
I think shape is dependent on context; in one of my games I could've killed a group by playing an empty triangle, but instead I rejected that notion because "Hurr empty triangle is bad" and played a hane instead, giving him two eyes.

I can try to dredge up the game to verify if anyone's not sure about what Mr.Dan told me. It does sound suspect.

I won one memorable five stone game as black after butchering the opening by starting a big fight with the ugliest shapes imaginable. I killed one group with a tombstone tesuji and kept it surrounded with a square of 4 stones on one side and an empty triangle on the other, because they were the shapes that worked, and 'pretty' ones didn't. Don't knock it if it works. On the other hand, if there's another alternative that works as well, it's often (but not always) better than the bad shape move, so you should look for it at least.

Post #102 Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Aidoneus wrote:
I know that this is a really old thread, but after downloading GoGoD, for $15, I was a bit surprised to discover it only contains sgf games. No big deal as the price was so low, but after reading this thread I thought that I would be getting a copy of Shape Up!

Before T Mark's death, the GoGoD disk included quite a bit of content besides the .sgf files, among other things, Shape Up! - but it also used to be more expensive. If you just want to read Shape Up!, an authorized copy can be found here: http://www.badukworld.co.kr/biz/lesson2 ... shape.html.

This post by daal was liked by: Aidoneus

Post #103 Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Is there any ways to get the old content still?
Even if it is not updated anymore, it is still a ton of very valuable stuff, and it would be a pity to no have it accessible anymore. I mean, the programs can probably be found somewhere, but the data, like the essays, encyclopedia, etc...

This post by Bantari was liked by: Charlie

Post #104 Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
daal: Thanks. If anyone is interested, I got a copy of Shape Up! after subscribing to GoBase.org to get more sgf files.

EDIT: After reading the first three chapters, this book already has helped shed light on why certain relationships among stones are more resilient, whether in fights or creating eyes. IMHO, Mathews writes in a clear style that is accessible to a beginner, or DDK. Maybe I am predisposed to his writing, as I started with a library copy of his Teach Yourself be a Master at Go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6