It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to play games ?
Post #21 Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 59
Was liked: 20
Universal go server handle: TwitchyGo
Online playing schedule: When I can, not necessarily often. Yet sometimes alot. <shrug>
leonprimrose wrote:
I was told once that 1 game reviewed is worth 2 or more played. Try an learn from every game. Naturally this would slow down a pace of back-to-back games but it's more important to step back and understand why you won or lost and what you or your opponent could have done better, even introspectively.

Another good reason for reviews is it lets you calm back down. Some games can alter your mindset in the next game if you just gg, and hit automatch immediatly.
For example, if you played someone who wouldn't protect their groups and the board collapsed into fighting everywhere, and you lost. You can feel cheated, he should have died.
Then if the next opponent is playing very solidly, you might still be in a bloodthirsty mood(especially if your on tilt) and make overplays that get your groups killed.
Taking the time out to review can return you to a balanced state for your next game. (Maybe)

Post subject: Re: How to play games ?
Post #22 Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
Mage wrote:
1. Should I aim to maximize the number of games I play a week (maybe ~6-7 in my case, given other time constraints) or would it be more advantageous to just play a few "good" games (around 4 per week let's say), with peak concentration, sufficient time for thinking (~ 30secs-1min per move say), and subsequent review (oneself and/or a stronger player)?

You should play time controls that leave you enough time that you are able to actually put thought into your moves, otherwise you are just playing by instinct and it is hard to learn if you are not thinking about your moves.

I would recommend that if you really want to learn, you should review your games and try to understand what was good and what was bad and why you won or lost. It is extremely good if you can get a stronger player to review the game with you and offer comments.