It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joanne Missingham
Post #61 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
Yes, but I don't think she has her own school quite yet...

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #62 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:57 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
nagano wrote:
Yes, but I don't think she has her own school quite yet...

And she is actually earning quite good for her age (the vice world champion, she is) = she does not need to open one at all :P

The lack of news in english language from the Asian Games is so embarassing. She played as second board in the team tournament (first board was Xie Yimin) but lost against Korea and China, though she won against Japan (as opposed to the first board who only lost to Japan). But I do not find game records anywhere. I really would like to replay these games. Anyone?

Post #63 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:24 pm 
Lives in gote

tapir wrote:
The lack of news in english language from the Asian Games is so embarassing. She played as second board in the team tournament (first board was Xie Yimin) but lost against Korea and China, though she won against Japan (as opposed to the first board who only lost to Japan). But I do not find game records anywhere. I really would like to replay these games. Anyone?

I agree about the lack of news. JustPlayGo does a pretty good job, but has not been able to keep up with things recently. I think we need to organize a collaborative go news and study wiki, that operates differently and more interactively than Sensei's Library. It would also be a great way to try to more directly connect the international go community with the East Asian go community. As far as game records are concerned, try http://weiqi.tom.com, http://lgs.taiwango.net, and http://igokisen.web.fc2.com/.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #64 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:40 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
What are you thinking of doing that can't be accomodated in senseis or l19x19?

Post #65 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Firstly a news wiki, that has a dedicated, volunteer-based team that translates articles and other information from the original languages into English and whatever other languages the volunteers have the knowledge and willingness to translate to. This also implies that the interface of the site could be switched between all supported languages. It would be used as a bridge between go communities in different parts of the world. Strong players could write articles on strategy and tactics, and contribute to making Go wikibooks. People could try to increase awareness and participation in the site in their individual countries. It is especially crucial I think to attract the attention of players in Asian countries, as they could help spread a lot of useful knowledge.

Post #66 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:36 pm 
Lives in sente

nagano wrote:
Firstly a news wiki, that has a dedicated, volunteer-based team that translates articles and other information from the original languages into English and whatever other languages the volunteers have the knowledge and willingness to translate to. This also implies that the interface of the site could be switched between all supported languages. It would be used as a bridge between go communities in different parts of the world. Strong players could write articles on strategy and tactics, and contribute to making Go wikibooks. People could try to increase awareness and participation in the site in their individual countries. It is especially crucial I think to attract the attention of players in Asian countries, as they could help spread a lot of useful knowledge.

I don't understand what you have about wikibooks (I did not like them when Wikipedia did those.), but other than switching the interface between languages (which simply isn't available currently and won't be without volunteers) Sensei's Library would surely be happy to host such an endeavour. (I know there may be some other technical issues.) The crucial point is the "dedicated team" part in a voluntary translation endeavour. Why should those who can read chinese, korean, japanese easily bother to translate? I mean I don't translate the newspapers i read to other languages as well. (And even here on L19 there was a lengthy discussion about one game at the Asiad but no reference was ever made to the result of the tournament, the final game whatsoever. That's so odd. Well. Of course there are wikis in several other languages already - russian, german, french, hungarian, none of them with a very active far eastern volunteer base however.)

Thanks for the links anyway, unfortunately it is hard to tell for me, whose games I am looking on pages other than on Kin's go news.

Post #67 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:25 pm 
Lives in gote

The idea is that each "volunteer" contributes their skills in exchange for some other Go (or possibly language) related service that they would like, provided by other volunteers.

Post #68 Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:02 pm 
Lives in sente

nagano wrote:
The idea is that each "volunteer" contributes their skills in exchange for some other Go (or possibly language) related service that they would like, provided by other volunteers.

I would like to split the thread and make a new one called "English language go news" for more attention. Any admin listening, please!

Post #69 Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:26 pm 
Lives in gote

Tell you what. I'll continue this idea at the "Popularity of Go" thread.

Post #70 Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:26 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
TaiwanGo.com has apparently reported that she'll be promoted to 5 dan for her performance in the Bingsheng Cup. There's a link on her page at sensei's, but the page is in Chinese. http://www.taiwango.org.tw/shownews.asp?id=908

Post #71 Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
wow... she rocks O_o and she won the preliminary of 3rd Qiwang as well. she'll play at the league. I'm curious about her performance at the league :D

Post #72 Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
It appears she'll be playing against Kim Yoonyoung 3p of Korea in some kind of Tygem Event soon, though I can't read the details. Can someone who reads Korean tell us if there is date and time information there?

Post #73 Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Jan 28 through 30 8pm

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

This post by Magicwand was liked by: snorri

Post #74 Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:33 pm 
Lives in sente

Hei Jiajia / Joanne Missingham won a league match against one of Taiwan's current title holders (3 times national champion Lin Zhihan) on Thursday 12 May. Anyone a kifu?

Post #75 Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:11 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
It has just been announced (May 2011) that Joanne Missingham will take part in the next Nakano Cup in Japan, along with a couple of amateurs.

The Nakano Cup is for Under-20s. It was founded when famous writer Nakano Koji left money for it in his will when he died in 2004, although the event actually started just before his death. He had long been a go benefactor and was once the Literary Meijin in Japan. In real life he was a professor of Japanese, translator of Kafka and Guenther Sachs, and best-selling novelist. One novel (Harasu no ita Hibi) was made into a film, so he had a few bob to spare.

Post #76 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:12 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
She plays trampoline
http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/54143380-1239084724.html

Post #77 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:35 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Ms. Missingham went for another league. This time she won the winner section of the 7th Guoshou (National Champion). She beat Huang Xiangren (5 dan) at the final preliminary. She'll play in a 8 people league.

Post subject: Kifu wanted!
Post #78 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 am 
Lives in sente

Biondy wrote:
Ms. Missingham went for another league. This time she won the winner section of the 7th Guoshou (National Champion). She beat Huang Xiangren (5 dan) at the final preliminary. She'll play in a 8 people league.

She is now 2:0 in the Guoshou league, winning against Zhou Junxun on Sunday. Has anyone a kifu of that game? (She is 2:4 in the Qiwang league, which is a respectable result for the first league entry imo.)

Post subject: Goushou
Post #79 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
tapir wrote:
She is now 2:0 in the Guoshou league, winning against Zhou Junxun on Sunday. Has anyone a kifu of that game? (She is 2:4 in the Qiwang league, which is a respectable result for the first league entry imo.)

and today she added a scalp of Chen Shiyuan! beating two top Taiwanese players in one tournament is really impressive. if she retain her pace, she can well become one of the top players herself. i wish her good luck

Taiwan Qiyuan has reports of both games (with Zhou and with Chen) and apparently also the game records available for replay (Zhou and Chen, Joan playing in both with black stones)

next Joanne's games in the Goushou are scheduled at 5th and 12th of July, against another respectable players, Xiao Zhenghao and Lin Shuyang.

I might be wrong, but probably not.

Post subject: Re: Goushou
Post #80 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Laman wrote:
and today she added a scalp of Chen Shiyuan! beating two top Taiwanese players in one tournament is really impressive. if she retain her pace, she can well become one of the top players herself. i wish her good luck

Taiwan Qiyuan has reports of both games (with Zhou and with Chen) and apparently also the game records available for replay (Zhou and Chen, Joan playing in both with black stones)

Oha. + Sankyu!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next