It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Following Nakamura Sumire
Post #201 Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Ah, that makes sense. When I don't understand a word written by John, I keep wondering if it's

• a fancy Engllish word
  • Scottish slang
  • a neologism
  • a pun
  • a typo.

This post by jlt was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #202 Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
jlt wrote:
Ah, that makes sense. When I don't understand a word written by John, I keep wondering if it's

• a fancy Engllish word
  • Scottish slang
  • a neologism
  • a pun
  • a typo.

F) all of the above

Take care

Post #203 Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:08 am 
Lives in gote

BTW, shouldn't she be about to reach 2d? According to John Power she already has 24 wins from 2019, and, so far, at least 10 in 2020. Now, some of those won't be official, I guess, but even so...

Take care.

Post #204 Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Do these wins include matches in women-only tournaments which don't count for dan promotion?

Post #205 Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
There are three categories of Nihon Ki-in games:

1. Official tournament games that count for promotion, but these vary according tot he type of promotion. Automatic promotions for winning titles are limited to a relatively few events.

2. Official tournament games that do not count for promotion. Those excluded are women's games, some preliminaries of international events. But games against amateurs are generally allowed to count for promotion.

3. Unofficial "free" games, which means stuff like national squad games, exhibition games, and the like.

If you count all three categories, Sumire has played a lot more than just the official games. I have about 80 of her games in the GoGoD database.

It's too much effort to count how many of her games count for promotion, but a very quick eyeball scan leads me to believe she's about two-thirds of the way to 2-dan (she needs 30 wins).

The wins that count for promotion are only those in the following events (not all of which still run, but past wins still count):

Kisei (inc. versus amateurs)
Meijin
Honinbo
Oza
Tengen
Gosei
Judan
Shinjin-O
Ryusei (inc. Tenfu Cupversus amateurs)
Agon-Kiriyama Cup (inc. versus amateurs)
Young Carp
O-Kage
SGW (inc. versus amateurs)
Samsung (main event only)
LG (main event only)
Nongshim
Chunlan
Mlily (main event only)
Globis Cup
Xinao (main event only)
Kuksu Mountains
NK World Ch'p
Tenfu Cup

So, things like the NHK and Okan and team events don't count.

For 6-dan and below, players who fail to meet the criteria under Type 2 can earn promotion by being one of the top two money winners at each rank.

Post #206 Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:21 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
2. Official tournament games that do not count for promotion. Those excluded are women's games, some preliminaries of international events. But games against amateurs are generally allowed to count for promotion.

Wait, what? A game against an Ama counts but not against women?

Quote:
The wins that count for promotion are only those in the following events (not all of which still run, but past wins still count):
[...]
Young Carp
[...]
O-Kage
[...]
So, things like the NHK and Okan and team events don't count.
[...]
For 6-dan and below, players who fail to meet the criteria under Type 2 can earn promotion by being one of the top two money winners at each rank.

So... many... questions... I'll limit myself to three... Four. Four it is.

Young carp... Does it have any link with the carp-to-dragon fable?
O-Kage... Shadow? Mirage? Or something else entirely? I'd find that quirky for a tournament name.
And the NHK not counting... too fast or something else entirely? Because I seem to recall that the Ryuusei was about as fast.
How do they check money winners? Same tournaments? Do they count all of them? Exhibition matches? Sometimes I get the feelng it's one of these things were "everybody [ie. Japanese] knows" what they mean, so they don't mean all when they really "mean" "all".

Thanks. Take care.

Post #207 Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 pm 
Oza

Brief and incomplete answers, or tell me where to send the invoice.

1. O-Kage
The title of this tournament means "thank you for your support" and refers to the fact that the Akafuku sweets company owned by the Hamada family at Kotai Jingu shirine in Ise was banned from October 2007 to February 2010 by local trading standards officers for allegedly using expired ingredients and then mislabelling the products. The 300-year-old company made changes to avoid reoccurrence of the problems and was then allowed to resume production, at which point it mounted a major PR drive. This tournament, with a final broadcast on the Nihon Ki-in Yugen no Ma network, was part of the campaign to thank customers for their support. The product is a rice-paste mochi flavoured with red-bean paste, sold mainly in Ise souvenir shops.

2. Young Carp
You might know it as Hiroshima Aluminium Cup, but I avoid that partly because most Americans don't spell aluminium properly, but partly to show it is a young players' event It is restricted to male and female Nihon Ki-in players under 31 and below 6-dan. There is a preliminary leading to a final knockout for 14 player plus the top two from the previous term as seeds (16 players in Term 1), with a single-game final. The young carp (wakagoi) is a symbol used for young boys (though a woman won the first event) but also alludes to the local Hiroshima Carps baseball team.

3.Women's games here means games in women's events.

4. I've never bothered to check out precisely why the NHK is excluded, but the NHK doesn't have preliminaries. Players are seeded in on the basis of money earned in the previous year, with a slight bias to favour younger players. The Ryusei does have preliminaries. The criterion for games for promotion is that the even must be open to all (which the NHK is therefore not), but again with a slight bias for younger players, hence the inclusion of some age-restricted events.

5. I don't know how to count the money. Never had enough to practise. Too busy answering questions. Which is why I don't allow emails from L19.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: silviu22

Post #208 Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:06 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
Brief and incomplete answers, or tell me where to send the invoice.

Tempting, very tempting. In any case, and in my... best... Adm. Kirk voice... "An incomplete answer? You, John? That's extraordinary." [ST IV]

Quote:
1. O-Kage
The title of this tournament means "thank you for your support"

Ok, one of those "only in Japan...". Gotcha.

Quote:
3.Women's games here means games in women's events.

My point is diluted, but it still stands, I believe.

Thank you for your time. I'll leave you with your seminar with uncle $crooge.

Take care. Thanks, really.

Post #209 Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
Here's her status as far as I can tell in the Japanese tournaments (Black=still in it, Red=eliminated, Pink=did not participate). June 2020 games are in Green. The dates are for my reference to know when to look again:

Male+Female tournaments:
  • Kisei 45 - eliminated in Jan 2020. Kisei 46 should start in Oct 2020.
  • Meijin 46 - eliminated Mar 5, 2020. Meijin 47 should start in Dec 2020
  • Honimbo 76 - eliminated Nov 2019. Honimbo 77 should start in Oct 2020
  • Oza 69 - Won 1st game in Prelim C on 3/12. Won 2nd game vs Sano Takatsugu (8p, #873 2823) on 6/18. Will play Ishida Atsushi 9p next. See frame 1 of Kansai/Chubo from https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/oza/069.html. Oza 70 should start in March 2021
  • Tengen 47 - eliminated Apr 2, 2020. Tengen 48 should start in Apr 2021
  • Judan 60 - should start in Sept 2020
  • Ago/Kiryama 27 - eliminated on Feb 24, 2020 by Sakaguci?. Kiryama 28 - should start in Feb 2021
  • Ryusei 30 - Defeated Araki Issei 4P on June 29, 2020 in final of prelim B. Will play Nakano Shoya 1p in Prelim A. She needs two more wins to make it to the block stage. Ryusei 31 should start in April 2021?
  • NHK - Has pretty restrictive criteria (no preliminaries). She will probably have to win a women's title to qualify.
  • Shinjin (King of New Stars) 45 - eliminated in Dec 2019. New Rookie 46 should start in Nov 2020.
  • Hiroshima 14 - eliminated in Sept 2019. New Rookie 47 should start in Sept 2020
  • Thanks Cup 11 - eliminated on Apr 6, 2020 by Xie Yimmin. Tanks Cup 12 should start in April 2021
  • Okan (Crown) Cup - Not eligible (seems to be for Nagoya branch only).
  • SGW Nakajima 2 - did not participate? Nakajima 3 should start in Sept 2020

Women-only tournaments:
  • Honimbo 39 - lost in 1st round of prelims (Nov 4, 2019). Honimbo 40 should start Oct 2020.
  • Tachiaoi (Aizu Hospital 7) - lost on Jan 23, 2013 after winning first two rounds. Tachiaoi (Aizu Hospital) 8 should start Oct 2020.
  • Kisei 24 - Gets to play straight in the final for Prelim B (so needs only one win to make it to the main tournament again). See Kansai/Chubu bracket 3 of https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/fkisei/024.html. Kisei 25 should start July 2021.
  • Senko/Saikyo 5th - Lost to Ueno Asami (3p, Female Honimbo, #398 3121) in 1st round of main tournament on July 13, 2020. She won in Dec 2019 and on Feb 13, 2020 (last one vs Ono Ayako, 1p (2682)). Defeated Mariko Deguci 1p on June 25, 2020 in final round of prelims by 0.5 point. Saikyo 6 should start Dec 2020.
  • Camachi 1 she lost in 1st round (Jan 13, 2020). Hakata/Camachi 2 should start in Dec 2020.

Her 2020 record is 10-11. Total record (2019-2020): 27-18.

She is 3-1 since the restart:
June 18: defeated Sano Takatsugu 8P in Oza 69 Prelim C.
June 25: defeated Deguchi Mariko 1P in Senko 5 final Prelim.
June 29: defeated Araki Issei 4P in Ryusei 30 Prelim B.

July 13: Lost to Ueno Asami (3p, Female Honimbo, #398 3121) in 1st round of Saikyo 5.

Last edited by silviu22 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

This post by silviu22 was liked by: Ember

Post #210 Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:17 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
Thank you for summing that up, silviu22! I'm definitely looking forward to her playing Ueno Asami in the Senko/Saikyo, I'm sure it'll be a great game. :)

Post #211 Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
In mamumamu's latest rating list (through the end of June), Sumire is now ranked 237th out of 445 rated Japanese professionals. She still has a long road ahead of her, but this puts her ahead of such well-know female former title holders as: Kobayashi Izumi (241), Kato Keiko (259), Chinen Kaori (263), and Yoshihara Yukari (280). For comparison Fujisawa Rina is now ranked 38th and Ueno Asami is ranked 63rd.

Post #212 Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 am 
Oza

Sumire got knocked out in Round 1 of the 5th Senko Cup by Ueno Asami.

She has also signed up to play a series of 12 games in four three-game matches with Koreans. This is a tie-up between Cyberoro and Yugen no Ma, called Sumire's Oro Challenge. The games are 10 minutes each + 3x40s.

She lost the first match against Korean Women's No. 2 Kim Ch'ae-yeong 6-dan by 0-3. Match 2 should have been completed by now, but I haven't seen the result but as it was against Seo Neung-uk 9-dan, once the world's best fast player, even one win would be a major triumph. Shen next plays Seo Pong-su, and finally (1 August) meets Cheong Yu-chin, a new 14-year-old 1-dan.

Post #213 Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:43 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
Match 2 should have been completed by now, but I haven't seen the result but as it was against Seo Neung-uk 9-dan, once the world's best fast player, even one win would be a major triumph.

This one?

Take care

Post #214 Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Seen on Tygem today.

Attachments:
Sumire-SeoBongsoo.sgf [1.89 KiB]
Downloaded 1583 times

Post #215 Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:53 am 
Oza

Sumire lost her 3-game match with Seo Neung-uk 9-dan, but did win her first game (Game 2) in the four-opponent series, by 3.5. It's her second win against a 9-dan.

Post #216 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:22 am 
Oza

Sumire beat Takao Shinji, 9-dan and multiple title holder, in a National Squad internet game (15 August 2020). Improvements in her style are also being noticed (and in that regard, note that Takao is a squad coach).

In official games, she is currently on 10-12, steadying the ship with a 2-2 score since last month. Even though she is one of the newest pros, she is joint top with two others in the race to get to 2-dan based on number of wins.

Ueno Asami is also continuing to keep the distaff flag flying high. She beat Shida Tatsuya 8-dan in the NHK Cup to proceed to Round 3.

Post #217 Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 am 
Oza

Next big step to be taken by Sumire: she will transfer her registration to the Nihon Ki-in Tokyo branch from January 2021. This will offer her stronger competition. At the lower ranks, tournament preliminaries are organised within branches, so that for the most part Sumire would face only Kansai branch pros if she stayed in Osaka. There are more pros in Tokyo, and they at least believe they are stronger than their Kansai counterparts (who in turn believe they are stronger than their Kansai Ki-in counterparts, and they've got the likes of Iyama to prove it).

This transfer by Sumire has been on the cards for some time, but interrupting schooling was a problem. However, next April she has to move up to junior school anyway. Her physical move will presumably be just before that.

Coincidentally, another Nakamura heads the list of nominations for the Nihon Ki-in Hall of Fame, which is a little bid odd in some ways, as Sumire is probably more famous than all of them!

Doseki is the other Nakamura, and he is joined by Yasui Sanchi, Honinbo Satsugen, Karigane Junichi, Takagawa Kaku, Fujisawa Hideyuki and Araki Naomi. That must be close to the toughest list ever to choose from, so I expect there must be a good chance of multiple inductees this year (in October).

The name Araki Naomi will probably be unfamiliar to most of you but he is a very worthy candidate. He was Japanese professor of medicine and Chancellor at Chiba University but his most important job was editing and collecting games of many past players (Shuwa, Shuei, Shusaku, Jowa, Shuho). The works on Shuwa and Shuho were unfinished at his death on 1962 but were completed by his widow, Fujiko. A minor sideline was that he was the first chairman of the Igo Bunka-kai (Go Cultural Society) which he formed with Mitamura Tokushiro in 1954. It published a ground-breaking typewritten Japanese Go Journal in English. From memory he was instrumental also in launching the first international amateur tournament in 1963 and Go Monthly, so those of you in the west should be backing his nomination.

Elsewhere, the resurgence of go among Japanese women continues. A well known manga/anime voice actress, Terui Haruka, has spent the lockdown since March in studying go and has just achieved 1-dan (from scratch). She said she just lost track of time playing over games. She learnt about go from a tv programme called Go Focus. She had been vaguely aware of Hikaru no Go before that, but that was not her source of inspiration. But possibly her own achievement might spark off another go manga in the near future.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 5 people: ez4u, Harleqin, Shenoute, silviu22, SoDesuNe

Post #218 Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:32 am 
Lives with ko

Sumire lost in Ryusei 30 on July 20 and won on Sept 9 in Female Kisei since my last update. The Kisei game is much more important result, since she now made it to the main tournament for 2nd year in the row.

Here's her status as far as I can tell in the Japanese tournaments (Black=still in it, Red=eliminated, Pink=did not participate). June 2020 games are in Green. The dates are for my reference to know when to look again:

Male+Female tournaments:
  • Oza 69 - Won 1st game in Prelim C on 3/12. Won 2nd game vs Sano Takatsugu (8p, #873 2823) on 6/18. Will play Ishida Atsushi 9p next. See frame 1 of Kansai/Chubo from https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/oza/069.html. Oza 70 should start in March 2021
  • Ago/Kiryama 27 - eliminated on Feb 24, 2020 by Sakaguci?. Kiryama 28 - should start in Feb 2021
  • Ryusei 30 - Defeated Araki Issei 4P on June 29, 2020 in final of prelim B. Lost to Nakano Shoya 1p in Prelim A. Ryusei 31 should start in April 2021?
  • NHK - Has pretty restrictive criteria (no preliminaries). She will probably have to win a women's title to qualify.
  • Shinjin (King of New Stars) 45 - eliminated in Dec 2019. New Rookie 46 should start in Nov 2020.
  • Hiroshima 15 - Will play Mariko Honda 1p in 1st round of qualifying. See "Female Kansai" in https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/wakagoi/015.html. Hiroshima 16 should start in Aug 2021
  • Thanks Cup 11 - eliminated on Apr 6, 2020 by Xie Yimmin. Thanks Cup 12 should start in April 2021
  • SGW Nakajima 3 - did not participate? SGW 4 should start in Aug 2021

Women-only tournaments:
  • Honimbo 39 - lost in 1st round of prelims (Nov 4, 2019). Honimbo 40 should start Oct 2020.
  • Tachiaoi (Aizu Hospital 7) - lost on Jan 23, 2013 after winning first two rounds. Tachiaoi (Aizu Hospital) 8 should start Oct 2020.
  • Kisei 24 - Defeated Yasuko Asano 2p or Akiko Tsukuda 5p in her only prelim A game on Sept 7. So she made it to the main tournament for the 2nd year in a row. See Kansai/Chubu bracket 3 of https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/fkisei/024.html. Kisei 25 should start July 2021.
  • Senko/Saikyo 5th - Lost to Ueno Asami (3p, Female Honimbo, #398 3121) in 1st round of main tournament on July 13, 2020. She won in Dec 2019 and on Feb 13, 2020 (last one vs Ono Ayako, 1p (2682)). Defeated Mariko Deguci 1p on June 25, 2020 in final round of prelims by 0.5 point. Saikyo 6 should start Dec 2020.
  • Camachi 1 she lost in 1st round (Jan 13, 2020). Hakata/Camachi 2 should start in Dec 2020.

Her 2020 record is 11-12 as far as I can tell. Total record (2019-2020): 28-19.

She is 4-2 since the restart:

July 13: Lost to Ueno Asami (3p, Female Honimbo, #398 3121) in 1st round of Saikyo 5.
July 20: Lost to Nakano Shou (1p, ???) in Ryusei 30 prelims.
Sept 9: Defeated Yasuko Asano 2p or Akiko Tsukuda 5p in Female Kisei 24 prelims and made it to main tournament.

This post by silviu22 was liked by: Shenoute

Post #219 Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:14 am 
Lives with ko

Sumire has been a busy girl this week and played 4 games (all wins!).
She won 3 games on Sept 14th vs Honda Mariko 1p, Miyamoto Chiharu 1p and Omori Ran 1p in Hiroshima 15. So she did one better than last year and made it to the main tournament.
She also defeated Ishida Atsushi (9p, #726 2928) on Sept 17 in Oza 69 prelims. I think this is her biggest victory so far. Will play Gao Lin Zhenghong (?) 7p next.
This means she has improved to 15-12 for 2020.
Also, the female Kisei 24 main bracket has been decided: she will play again a member of the Ueno clan in the first round. This time it is a more suitable opponent: Ueno Risa 1p.

Here's her status as far as I can tell in the Japanese tournaments (Black=still in it, Red=eliminated, Pink=did not participate). Sept 2020 games are in Purple. The dates are for my reference to know when to look again:

Male+Female tournaments:
  • Oza 69 - Won 1st game in Prelim C on 3/12. Won 2nd game vs Sano Takatsugu (8p, #873 2823) on 6/18. Defeated Ishida Atsushi (9p, #726 2928) on Sept 17. Will play Gao Lin Zhenghong (?) 7p next. See frame 1 of Kansai/Chubo from https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/oza/069.html. Oza 70 should start in March 2021
  • Ryusei 30 - Defeated Araki Issei 4P on June 29, 2020 in final of prelim B. Lost to Nakano Shoya 1p in Prelim A. Ryusei 31 should start in April 2021?
  • Hiroshima 15 - Defeated Honda Mariko 1p, Miyamoto Chiharu 1p and Omori Ran 1p on Sept 14, 2020 and made it to the main tournament. See "Female Kansai" in https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/wakagoi/015.html. Hiroshima 16 should start in Aug 2021
  • Thanks Cup 11 - eliminated on Apr 6, 2020 by Xie Yimmin. Thanks Cup 12 should start in April 2021
  • SGW Nakajima 3 - did not participate? SGW 4 should start in Aug 2021

Women-only tournaments:
  • Kisei 24 - Defeated Tsukuda Akiko (5p, #979 2749) in her only prelim A game on Sept 7. So she made it to the main tournament for the 2nd year in a row. Will play Risa Ueno 1p in the first round. See Kansai/Chubu bracket 3 of https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/fkisei/024.html. Kisei 25 should start July 2021.

Her 2020 record is 15-12 as far as I can tell. Total record (2019-2020): 32-19. Current ranking on goratings.org: #770, 2901. (However, this doesn't include her last 4 wins).

She is 8-2 since the restart:

July 20: Lost to Nakano Shou (1p, ???) in Ryusei 30 prelims.

Sept 9: Defeated Yasuko Asano 2p or Akiko Tsukuda 5p in Female Kisei 24 prelims and made it to main tournament.
Sept 14: Defeated Honda Mariko 1p, Miyamoto Chiharu 1p and Omori Ran 1p in Hiroshima 15 prelims and made it to main tournament.
Sept 17: Defeated Ishida Atsushi (9p, #726 2928) in Oza 69 in Prelim B 1st round.

Post #220 Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:51 am 
Lives with ko

Sumire is out of Oza 69 after losing to Takabayashi Masahiro 7p (2784) on Oct 1st.

2020 results: 15-13, overall: 32-20

The other child prodigy (Wu Yimming 2p from China) defeated Xie Yimmin 6p from Japan in 1st round of 3rd Qingyuan Cup. She lost her 2nd game, but still, I believe she is stronger than Sumire right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33  Next