It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Request for quotes in search
Post #1 Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:38 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Sometimes I want to search for a short phrase -- often, actually. ;) What bugs me is when one of the words is common and is ignored. Even worse is when every word in the phrase is common, although the phrase is not, and no search is done at all. A recent example is "difference game". The search ignored "game" as being too common. But OC, "difference game" is not common. I was somewhat surprised that "difference" was not also ignored. But "difference" is much more common than "difference game", so there were many irrelevant results.

As I did in that paragraph. enclosing the phrase is quotes is a way of joining the words into a unit, and one that is in common use in search. Can we join the club? :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject: Re: Request for quotes in search
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Bill Spight wrote:
Sometimes I want to search for a short phrase -- often, actually. ;) What bugs me is when one of the words is common and is ignored. Even worse is when every word in the phrase is common, although the phrase is not, and no search is done at all. A recent example is "difference game". The search ignored "game" as being too common. But OC, "difference game" is not common. I was somewhat surprised that "difference" was not also ignored. But "difference" is much more common than "difference game", so there were many irrelevant results.

As I did in that paragraph. enclosing the phrase is quotes is a way of joining the words into a unit, and one that is in common use in search. Can we join the club? :)

1st - Shouldn't this be in "Forum/Site Suggestions and Bugs" instead of "Off Topic"? Your request gets my vote. This has always made a joke of the search function. Since the search ignores ALL 2-letter words it is impossible to search for Gu Li, for example.

2nd - Until this is done, the best alternative is to try
Code:
"difference game" site:Lifein19x19.com
in Google or your favorite search engine. In Google make sure to go to the bottom of the results page and rerun without any omitted results!

This post by ez4u was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:40 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
ez4u wrote:
1st - Shouldn't this be in "Forum/Site Suggestions and Bugs" instead of "Off Topic"?

[admin] moved [/admin]

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, ez4u

Post #4 Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:25 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 207
Was liked: 264
GD Posts: 200
Indeed, several years ago I pretty much stopped using the search feature on most sites, because Google using ez4u's method nearly always does a better job.

This post by xela was liked by: Bill Spight