It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mizuma Method?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Stories about this mans’s teaching system being taught to other go teachers are easy to find. But I can find no description of the Mizuma Method practices or theory. Anyone know anything about this topic?

Toshifumi Mizuma – 7 dan pro

https://www.usgo.org/news/2016/11/nihon-ki-in-and-inaf-host-north-american-go-instructors-workshop/

Post subject: Re: Mizuma Method?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:15 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Here's a video of the man himself explaining his credo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P16v4wWGuYQ

Maybe I'm cynical, but I see nothing really new in his methods. His overriding tenet appears to be that it's necessary to train instructors (that's who the people in the video are) first so that they can teach children. That may sound blindingly obvious, but I'm not all sure it's been done in a coordinated way before in Japan or the West. Korea can claim some such moves (though not fully capitalised on?) via Myeongj University. My impression is that China has a great record in that respect, though perhaps that (as in Korea) has something to do with not having to waste much time initially on persuading parents it's good idea.

The reason I think China stands out is that they appear also to have great coordinated teaching beyond the learn-the-rules stage.

Note that Mizuma likes to stress "good manners" for beginners. That would constitute too much of a culture shock for many western beginners.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:28 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 36
KGS: MKyle
John Fairbairn wrote:
Here's a video of the man himself explaining his credo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P16v4wWGuYQ

Maybe I'm cynical, but I see nothing really new in his methods. His overriding tenet appears to be that it's necessary to train instructors (that's who the people in the video are) first so that they can teach children. That may sound blindingly obvious, but I'm not all sure it's been done in a coordinated way before in Japan or the West. Korea can claim some such moves (though not fully capitalised on?) via Myeongj University. My impression is that China has a great record in that respect, though perhaps that (as in Korea) has something to do with not having to waste much time initially on persuading parents it's good idea.

The reason I think China stands out is that they appear also to have great coordinated teaching beyond the learn-the-rules stage.

Note that Mizuma likes to stress "good manners" for beginners. That would constitute too much of a culture shock for many western beginners.

Thanks John. That's interesting to me.

My level of Japanese is way too bad to understand the video without getting frustrated with all the pausing - but is he referring to a book? I would be interested in a book that discusses teaching beginners.

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:45 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Some youtube clips have a subtitles button, some don't; is this set up by the uploader?
Quote:
マナー Etiquette:
  • 静かにする。 石をジャうジャうしない。 :tmbup:
    Be quiet; don't mess with the stones.
  • あいさつをする。 Say hello.
  • 後片付けをする。 Clean up.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:39 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
I know this thread is from several months ago, but I thought I would add my 2 pence.

The emphasis on etiquette in the Mizuma method is likely a Japanese thing. Japanese culture places great emphasis on etiquette, whereas in Western culture etiquette is considered only for practical purposes, since we expect everyone to be in charge of their emotions. However, I believe that etiquette helps to create an environment in which one is free to concentrate on and enjoy the activity, whether it is learning Go or anything else. The student is just as important as the instructor in facilitating said environment. Loud cheers and jocular taunts are considered part of, say, a game of Major League baseball and add to the enjoyment thereof. A baseball game in which the audience was always quiet and cordial would seem strange, at least to Americans.