It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thorough book on basic shapes?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:56 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi, is there any book which is very thorough with all the basic shapes, their weak points, how to attack them, how to defend them? It doesn't have to be in English, as long as I can buy it somewhere. I've checked out the book Making Good Shape but I didn't find through enough nor did it go into all the basic shapes, it was also pretty short.

I've heard maybe the Dictionary of Basic Shapes (New Haengma Dictionary), a korean book, could be good? I couldn't find where to buy it though, does anyone know?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by mizriw on Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Through book on basic shapes?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:53 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 86
Was liked: 363
Did you look at the book "Shape Up"?

https://gobase.org/studying/articles/matthews/shape_up/

Post subject: Re: Through book on basic shapes?
Post #3 Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:29 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
jlt wrote:

I'll check it out, thanks

Post subject: Re: Thorough book on basic shapes?
Post #4 Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:07 am 
Tengen

Was liked: 719
Unfortunately, such a book does not exist. (The existing shape books are somewhat useful but not what we want as described by you.)

Post #5 Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 3857
Quote:
Quote:
Hi, is there any book which is very thorough with all the basic shapes, their weak points, how to attack them, how to defend them?

Quote:
Unfortunately, such a book does not exist.

I beg to differ. The Fujisawa Tesuji Dictionary hits the G-spot, and is available in English.

Fujisawa does not give explicit names to shapes, but far from being a drawback that is a big plus in my opinion. The obsession with shapes is a major fault in western go. It leads to an obsession with the static over the dynamic, which haengma partly addresses by going the other way.

By looking at Fujisawa's book and sifting out the relevant shapes yourself, but in varied contexts via the solutions, you learn to combine the static and the dynamic and so develop suji (the flow of stones), of which te-suji is just a subset with fancier moves. The effort of doing this is a boon because it contributes to the "effortful practice" that learning experts say is central (as in CENTRAL!!!!) to acquiring mastery. But Fujisawa does not leave you on your own: he tells you what each tesuji is for and not for.

Think of learning to tie your shoelaces. The resulting shape of two bows might be the most dominant aspect visually, but just telling someone to make that shape is no help whatsoever. But knowing that the aim is to get a tight-fitting knot and then being taken through the steps slowly (make one bow [not TWO], then make another, etc) is what gets you to your first success. Then you practise a bit more and learn to tie different kinds of footwear with different laces. You also learn when other knots have to be used. A tesuji is like 'tying a knot." It is not just a 'knot'.

Last edited by John Fairbairn on Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:48 am 
Tengen

Was liked: 719
There are lots of good tesuji books (such as Fujisawa's) but no general (static and dynamic) shape dictionary.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 433
Was liked: 415
GD Posts: 1000
It would be difficult to cover all aspects of all shapes because whether a shape is "good" or "bad" depends on context and how it arises in the development of the game. For example the empty triangle shape. Generally empty triangle shape is considered bad but in certain joseki situations it is good. I usually like to think about effectiveness of stones rather than just shape.

This post by gowan was liked by: Bill Spight