It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wishing to Purchase Korean Pro Game Yearbooks
Post #1 Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:33 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 9
Once when I was in Korea I saw wonderful, thick "yearbooks" full of commented pro games from that year, in english, and had information about pro players and tournaments too! Many photos. The cover had some photos I think. It could be purchased from the Hanguk Giwon for like $30 or $40? SO does anyone know how to get this? Because my friend wants this book, and I might like to see it!

:white: Toru

Post subject: Re: Wishing to Purchase Korean Pro Game Yearbooks
Post #2 Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:58 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 21
It sounds pretty good, are you sure it was in english? If so i would be interested in seeing them too.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
I somewhat doubt it was in english. Also year books rarely have games commented in them or am I mistaken?

If there is such a book I would ofc buy it asap :D

Post #4 Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:32 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Ther have been spasmodic attempts to add English to the Korean yearbooks, but the commentaries are always very, very brief even in Korea, and the English was often even briefer (an accurate transation but with some sentences omitted). Not all commentaries were translated, and the general introductory texts, tables, etc were not translated. I think the last attempt due to Les Waller was around 2007.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 29
KGS: dankenzon
I have some yearbooks.

Comments are very brief and not in all the games.

Even some comments translated to English are not the same as in english, missing key elements.

I treasure one yearbook a lot because I had the chance to get signatures from most of Korean Players in the Beijing 2008 World Mind Sports Games.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:59 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
I've attached a couple of photos so you can see the extent of the commentary in these yearbooks. Sorry in advance about the poor quality, the camera on my phone has a lot of light scratches on the lens (from being in my pocket for years) and the good camera and scanner are both packed away in a cupboard at the moment.

There are really only a few comments per game (about key points). These photos are from the 2005 yearbook. Last year's book didn't have any English commentary.

At one time we discussed listing these in our catalogue, but we were skeptical about the demand for them, especially since the new ones aren't translated at all. If enough people are interested, we could trial carrying them in at least one warehouse (probably Asia) to start with.

However, you're talking about a big book (about 400 pages and similar size and weight to Invincible), so it wouldn't be cheap to ship either.

In the absence of understandable commentary, if you just want games, you'd get better value for money by buying GoGoD and printing out the kifu you want to review :)

Attachment:
yearbook-2005.jpg
yearbook-2005.jpg [ 76.56 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

Attachment:
yearbook-2005-2.jpg
yearbook-2005-2.jpg [ 69.91 KiB | Viewed 3725 times ]

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV