Post subject: Re: Go & iPad... Actorios' review
Post #21 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
hyperpape wrote:
I'd give it 90% or more odds that KGS will never be on the iPad. WMS is very clear that there will never be non-Java clients for KGS, because he doesn't want to support a variety of clients while Apple is clear that they don't want non-native runtimes (i.e. Java) on the iPad.

The only reason to hedge on that 10% is if sometime in the future, iPad-like devices have a big enough market share, and they typically lack java, or if Apple decides that the iPad should have different rules than the iPhone.

To be honest, there aren't that many Java apps out there, at least not that grab my attention in this industry. Sure, there's Open/Neo/Free Office or whatever it's called, which is a dog, and there are the occasional Java apps for configuring hardware. But the only Java app I've ever seriously needed to use is CGoban, and this in nearly twenty years of working with personal computers.

Am I missing anything? Is there Java stuff that's under the radar, or that Windows users work with?

Post #22 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
kirkmc wrote:
Am I missing anything? Is there Java stuff that's under the radar, or that Windows users work with?

I used to play Puzzle Pirates which is a fun game. For cross platform games, Java is a great choice.

gGo is also a pretty solid IGS client I like.

Post #23 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:14 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
Yeah, this is a good development, but it's still a long ways until KGS can be ported to the iPad.

And yes, Java isn't too common these days in user interface coding. It had a chance to be what flash is today, but Sun screwed things up pretty badly so Flash ended up the much better choice for apps that run in web pages. So now Java is mostly a server side technology, with Android, and MIDP being some noticeable exceptions.

Anyway, I've read conflicting things on whether this change from Apple would make it acceptable to Apple for Java apps to get into their market. But even if it were OK with Apple, somebody would still need to write a Java library for apps to work with an iPhone/iPad UI. Will anybody ever do that? Maybe, maybe not. But if you are waiting only for KGS to buy your iPad, I'd advise you not to place the order just yet. :)

Post #24 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:27 am 
Lives in sente

wms wrote:
Yeah, this is a good development, but it's still a long ways until KGS can be ported to the iPad.

And yes, Java isn't too common these days in user interface coding. It had a chance to be what flash is today, but Sun screwed things up pretty badly so Flash ended up the much better choice for apps that run in web pages. So now Java is mostly a server side technology, with Android, and MIDP being some noticeable exceptions.

Anyway, I've read conflicting things on whether this change from Apple would make it acceptable to Apple for Java apps to get into their market. But even if it were OK with Apple, somebody would still need to write a Java library for apps to work with an iPhone/iPad UI. Will anybody ever do that? Maybe, maybe not. But if you are waiting only for KGS to buy your iPad, I'd advise you not to place the order just yet. :)

Well, don't trust everything you read. I've been discussing this with my colleagues at Macworld, and it is very clear - and, in fact, if you read Apple' document it's clear - that this is not in any way opening the iOS to running Flash or Java. It is only, I repeat, only, for development tools. As far as I know, this does work with Flash for a limited number of apps (ones that are not very interactive; it especially lends itself to magazines, which is why I think Apple made the change) but it wouldn't work with Java, because of the interactivity required for most Java apps.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:33 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: pyv
I didn't expect kgs to be available on iPad soon, but it is still a step in the direction of making it possible.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:20 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 42
KGS: Shedal
IGS: Shedal
Well, there's still a chance for java runtime to be developed for iOS. It can then be distributed in ways other than the AppStore. Cydia, for example.
That would certainly be a way to launch CGoban on iPad.

Post #27 Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:42 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Saying that Cydia apps are for the iPad is a bit like saying Windows apps are for the Mac because of boot camp. It's the hardware, but...

Post #28 Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:16 am 
Lives in sente

Yea, I don't think jailbreaking is really a good option. It opens up the device to security risks, and instability.

Post #29 Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:07 am 
Tengen

I agree with you kirkmc, but that wasn't actually my point. Even if jailbreaking is a fantastic idea, it's an extensive modification to the software of iOS devices, and so it's odd to call software that requires jailbreaking "software for iOS." Of course, it's literally true: you're using a modified form of iOS, but it's misleading in a way.

Post #30 Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:35 am 
Lives in sente

hyperpape wrote:
I agree with you kirkmc, but that wasn't actually my point. Even if jailbreaking is a fantastic idea, it's an extensive modification to the software of iOS devices, and so it's odd to call software that requires jailbreaking "software for iOS." Of course, it's literally true: you're using a modified form of iOS, but it's misleading in a way.

Agreed.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Ok guys, back to the point :)
Tengen for iPad - it's a nice app but... 1) No archive option, 2) it crash in offline mode if you pass and the other player make a move instead of passing, 3) not too good way of rewinding of actual game.

Could you please guys check if you have also this crash issue (in the offline, "hot seat" mode)?

[Edit @ 5.X.2010]
iOS Go software updates

iPad
Tengen - no more crashes, you can save/record games now. Worth it's price now. Great IGS client but still if you sent a match request you can't do anytjing else (?), just wait or cancel it. Not big deal but why match request is not backgrounded like in Tetsuki IGS client?

iPad/iPhone
Boardz - Chat available!, at last :), this is so simple but great feature that should be always there. I was not aware how much it is important till I get this update. I'm Tommyray there - so feel free to send me a match requests.

Thanks

Post #32 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:12 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
So how is the screen size for playing?
I'm considering to import one. But we don't have ipads in my country yet so i don't have to way to check it out. And I kinda want rumoured the 7" too, but maybe it wouldn't be the same experience as it's quite a bit smaller.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:31 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
Shikatsu wrote:

It is excellent. Any smaller & you'd need to zoom or magnify to place stones on a full size board.

It's also large enough for comfortably reading Go pdfs (like Kiseido's Go World Archive) without zooming.

Post #34 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:53 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
imabuddha wrote:
Shikatsu wrote:

It is excellent. Any smaller & you'd need to zoom or magnify to place stones on a full size board.

It's also large enough for comfortably reading Go pdfs (like Kiseido's Go World Archive) without zooming.

Sounds really good. I think i will pick up a 10" when ipad 2 comes around. I'm also excited about an iPad version of Tetsuki. The UI in Tetsuki is simply breathtaking.

Post #35 Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:02 am 
Tengen

Shikatsu wrote:
I'm considering to import one. But we don't have ipads in my country yet so i don't have to way to check it out. And I kinda want rumoured the 7" too, but maybe it wouldn't be the same experience as it's quite a bit smaller.

I doubt there will be a 7" inch iPad. If you want a (very long) discussion of why not, you can check out The Talk Show by John Gruber and Dan Benjamin--one episode is titled "7 inches" and they spend a lot of time on why Apple is unlikely to announce such a product. The capsule version is that it's not really Apple's style to have multiple form factors like that, and more importantly, all current iPad apps are developed for the 9.7" screen, and you just can't scale down touch-screen apps. So redesigning things would be a nightmare.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: jdl

Post #36 Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:55 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
KGS: gromit
imabuddha wrote:

How do you get pdfs on to the iPad? Some people seem to find this difficult, and (not having an iPad) I don't really understand the workarounds that I've seen proposed. I'll probably get one if it would be easy to copy pdfs and sgfs across from my Mac.

Post #37 Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:10 am 
Lives with ko

gromit wrote:
How do you get pdfs on to the iPad? Some people seem to find this difficult, and (not having an iPad) I don't really understand the workarounds that I've seen proposed. I'll probably get one if it would be easy to copy pdfs and sgfs across from my Mac.

I generally do it through iTunes app file sharing (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4094) which allows you to drag files to/from an app on your iPad when it's connected to your computer.

While Apple's free iBooks app can handle pdf files I prefer to use GoodReader. This app also allows loading pdfs (and many other file types) from a website, URL, Dropbox, Google docs, ftp, etc. (http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man.html) There are many other pdf apps available too.

For sgf files I use SmartGo Kifu, which is awesome! It can open sgf files from a website, email, and of course you can use iTunes app file sharing with it.

Post #38 Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:34 am 
Lives in sente

I'll second GoodReader - best 99 cents I've spent for the iPad.

While iBooks handles PDFs - and is quite practical, since you can store PDFs in your iTunes library - GoodReader has a lot of useful features, the best of which is the ability to crop PDFs for display, so you get the most possible content without margins on the screen. It's great for reading Go World.

Re SmartGo Kifu, there's not much point having an iPad (for go) without that app. If you're interested in go, it's essential. I would like to see Dropbox support for adding SGF files, though...

Post #39 Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:18 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 8
KGS: Actorios
Universal go server handle: Actorios
My applications used for Go Study and practice:

Dropbox :black: :black: :black: :black: :black:
What is it used for? Transfer file from and to computer without connecting the iPad. Can also be used to share among users. Compatible with Smartgo Pro and Tengen Go.
How could it be improved? Pretty solid application. Not much to say, really.

Smartgo Kifu :black: :black: :black: :black: :black:
What is it used for? It's a must have. The problems are very nice. The pro game database is excellent and very complete. You can import/export SGF, add comments, review annoted games in an easy way, play on the device together with someone (recording the moves) and play against the computer (I put it last because I never do).
How could it be improved? It is wonderful but there is still room for improvement: I wish you could create set-up in a similar way as Drago does (place stones by color to create sitution without alternating colors)), I wish you could add problems, I wish you could manage directories of your file to ease cluster and review. I wish you could set a timer for face to face games. I hope some of those wishes come true as the software develops.

My Library :black: :black: :black: :white: :white:
What is it used for? List all my go books in a database with covers (I love the feature when you can browse your library through covers), authors, barcode numbers, publisher, etc. Good to go for a purchase and not forget which collection you want to complete (if like me you buy books faster than you read them). You can also follow what you did read and comment them.
How could it be improved? Change the logo on the first page (so blurry), export covers would be nice, shared database with comments from other people, more go books in the barcode ref. database.

WebOffline :black: :black: :black: :black: :white:
What is it used for? My iPad is wifi only. This allows me to record some websites to be reviewed at a later stage.There is a kind way of doing by browsing the site and recording and a more brutal way of recording pages at a certain depth (don't try this on sensei's library => your IP would get blocked).
How could it be improved? It's fairly good. Nothing blatlant.

BlogPress :black: :black: :black: :white: :white:
What is it used for? To feed a blog (by Blogger). It's really not as nice as doing it online which I believe you could partially do through a normal browser but it's quicker.
How could it be improved? Implement all features available on site (especially related to the images), add a preview function because WYS is not always WYG.

Max Journal :black: :black: :black: :white: :white:
What is it used for? Follow up my progress on the game on a day by day basis. Make notes following my go lessons. Includes images.
How could it be improved? Improving the export to PDF (use the fancy fonts that are available)

Good Reader :black: :black: :black: :black: :white:
What is it used for? read and organize PDF. Can be used to bookmark, make notes, etc.
How could it be improved? Color notes, read all PDF (example: the Cho Chikun L&D serie is not readable...)

Crop Suey HD :black: :black: :black: :white: :white:
What is it used for? crop images to add to the blog, journal, mind map or library.
How could it be improved? It does what it's supposed to do. It's not very expensive and is very straightforward. Still, I believe you can find free equivalent. This one is just fast which is nice.

Popplet :black: :black: :black: :black: :black:
What is it used for? A mind mapping tool. I like to record go principles, books read, comments in a graphic way. I think it's easy to review and it looks so good. Try the lite version as you may not share my enthousiasm if it's not your taste.
How could it be improved? A few more features, ability to export file into a modifiable format on PC. Still I love the easy and graphic way of creating / move things. I'm a bit unsure about the best way to use it for go study but still love it.

Igowin HD :black: :black: :black: :white: :white:
What is it used for? Play against the computer in 9x9 and see your rank improve (or stagnate - I can't believe that this program is so accurate in assessing your level)
How could it be improved? integrated go courses to win in 9x9...

Tengen Go :black: :black: :black: :black: :white:
What is it used for? Play online on IGS. As KGS is sadly not available, that you're only way to play online real time. It works nicely but it crashes from time to time if you try to do fancy things. Lately, it has became able to record games and export SGF : this is nice!
How could it be improved? Correct the bugs ! At least, it's a beta version : there is good chances that it will get better as times goes by

Boardz :black: :black: :black: :black: :white:
What is it used for? Play online in turn by turn.
How could it be improved? It is nicely programmed. It involves more games. As far as go is involved, it's very nice (especially now that a chat has been created). Still, I don't play it so often.

BG Timer :black: :white: :white: :white: :white:
What is it used for? Time games. It includes bio-yomi and canadian bio-yomi.
How could it be improved? Well, i think this kind of feature is nice on a cell phone but an iPad for this purpose looks a bit heavy and not that much practical. I guess that if you don't have alternative, it does the trick.

:black: :black: :black: :black: :black: Must have application
:black: :black: :black: :black: :white: Recommended
:black: :black: :black: :white: :white: Nice to have
:black: :black: :white: :white: :white: Could do without
:black: :white: :white: :white: :white: Not recommended

What about you? What applications would you recommend for extended go study / practice?

This post by Actorios was liked by: Chew Terr

Post #40 Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:46 pm 
Lives with ko

kirkmc wrote:
Re SmartGo Kifu, there's not much point having an iPad (for go) without that app. If you're interested in go, it's essential. I would like to see Dropbox support for adding SGF files, though...

Dropbox support built in would be sweet. Of course it is possible to use the Dropbox app to open sgf files in SmartGo Kifu so it can already be done. :)