It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New open source Go playing robot
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 6
OGS: spacedoge
I recently had some time to myself and was able to make a working prototype of a new type of go playing robot that uses computer vision to read a board and a laser attached to a couple of servos to point on any physical board where the computer wants to move next. You can see the robot in action here https://imgur.com/gallery/Q6CIae2. I haven't seen anyone else use this approach so I wanted to share in hopes of inspiring others to help push this concept further. This was a pretty easy build and all the materials together cost less than $60 so I could potentially see there is a future where something like this design can fulfill the dream of playing against online opponents on a real board. I open sourced the project and it can be found here https://github.com/diegocepedaw/lasergo

This post by spacedoge was liked by 6 people: Darrell, ez4u, fireproof, Harleqin, SoDesuNe, sorin

Post subject: Re: New open source Go playing robot
Post #2 Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Beautifully done, clever. thanks for thinking it up.
Your current prototype is beyond my maker skills but I'll be watching to see if you post future progress.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:46 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
Full Marks! - I really like this and I would encourage you to take the concept further. The Chinese made Go board with lights built-in to the intersections is interesting but expensive and you can't use your own board and stones or choose the AI software.

I could see your kit being used to play against a remote opponent, studying game records and playing against a computer - using say Kata-Go. It would also be a good way for someone to remotely "attend" a club meeting - getting people to physical clubs was always challenging at the best of times.

What skills do you need to move this forward? A lot of people on this forum have software skills.

I would not be surprised if a Chinese manufacturer wouldn't be interested.

Good Luck - John

This post by John Tilley was liked by: ez4u

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:29 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 13
Universal go server handle: Satorian
I think this would be very interesting for many people if you linked it to KataGo and simply gave it sound/speech output, like short status tones and speech for coordinates to place a stone and possibly how many stones have to be removed. This would allow nearly everyone to play on a real board in a very convenient way.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Satorian wrote:
I think this would be very interesting for many people if you linked it to KataGo and simply gave it sound/speech output, like short status tones and speech for coordinates to place a stone and possibly how many stones have to be removed. This would allow nearly everyone to play on a real board in a very convenient way.

I love that... Golf? A stick and a ball and a hole in the ground... come on! How hard can it be? Stop-action animation? Some clay and a camera... come on! How hard can it be?