Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
I've just finished cleaning and sorting my next posting. I hope you enjoy them!

For stones $130+ I offer free shipping in the United States and shipping discounts internationally. I'm also happy to have anyone in the area drop by to pick up or examine a set. I'm open to delivering if you live nearby or attend the Salt Lake Go Club. For those who are interested, the items ship from Logan, Utah, USA (Zip code 84321). About 80 miles north of Salt Lake City.

All stones are Mexican clamshell unless listed as Suwabate.

Suwabate Clamshell = Native Japanese clamshell (Commonly called Hyuga Clamshell). Very rare. Suwabate shells have a fine grain that would put any other stones to shame.

Aside from the brand new stones, I've cleaned and polished the each individual white stone, and oiled the black. I've done my best to mention any defects or yellowing I found in the stones.

If you have any questions or have an interest in one of the boards or stone sets, feel free to contact me :)

Last edited by Erythen on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: July: New and Used Slate and Shell Stones + boards
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:44 am 
Lives with ko

Stones

1. Size 30 Snow Grade Suwabate (Hyuga) Go Stones
182 White, 180 Black
$1500 SOLD
This is the nicest set of stones I have ever sold and will likely ever sell!
The rare beauty of Hyuga stones cannot be overstated. These would make an excellent addition to a Go collection.
Eight of the stones have tiny, barely noticeable little nicks.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of used bowls. I do now know what material they are but I suspect a very well aged Keyaki. These bowls have been well used and have some scoffing but are in otherwise brilliant condition. They have a very unusual and beautiful grain pattern, matching the rare beauty of the stones.

2. Size 25 Standard Grade (Brand New)
180 white, 181 black
$130
This is a brand new set of 180 White and 181 Black sized 25 Stones. They've never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes.

3. Size 44 Standard Grade (Brand New)
180 white, 181 black
$800 SOLD
This is a brand new set of 181 white and 182 Black sized 44 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional and beautiful set. These are truly massive stones, well beyond the standard sizes.
As an added bonus, I'm including a pair of brand new Kaya bowls, well fitted to a set of this unusually large size. Bowls this large are difficult to come by.

4. Size 40 - Standard Grade (Brand New)
180 White, 181 Black
$575
This is a brand new set of 180 white and 181 Black sized 40 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional and beautiful set. These are the largest of the standard sized stones.

5. Size 30 - Standard Grade (Brand New)
182 White, 183 Black
$205
This is a brand new set of 180 white (plus two extra) and 181 Black (plus two extra) sized 32 stones. These stones have never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes. This is an exceptional set with beautiful, clear grain.
Furthermore, these stones were made by Mr. Kuroki's business, the finest go shop in all of Japan.

6. Size 34 Standard Grade (Brand New)
180 white, 181 black
This is a brand new set of 180 White and 181 Black sized 34 Stones. They've never been played with and have only been opened for photographic purposes.

Last edited by Erythen on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:45 am 
Lives with ko

7. Size 28 Suwabate (Hyuga) Stones
$300 SOLD
Several stone have tiny, barely noticeable little nicks. This set us from the Showa era and was very dirty when I first received it and I've put a lot of effort into properly cleaning these stones. Yellowing does remain so although they were originally Snow Grade, I'm selling them as Blossom grade (Hyuga stone equivalent of standard grade). Most of the stones in this set are just barely under size 30.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of used bowls. I do now know what material they are but I suspect a very well aged Karin.

8. Antique Suwabate (Hyuga) Go Stones
183 White, 176 Black
$160 SOLD
These are very old stones. Late Meiji/Taisho era. These stones are unusually thick for this era, measuring at 5.5 - 6.5 mm. The diameter of the stones is slightly smaller than today's standard, but they'll still look great on a normal sized board.

Because of their well used nature, almost all the stones have blemishes of some kind (chips, discolorations). I've cleaned the set to the best of my ability.
As a side note: even Standard Grade Hyuga stones are far nicer than Snow Grade Mexican stones.
As an added bonus, I'm including the original set of bowls and original storage box. There is some insect damage to the box (please see the picture) and a crack in one of the bowls. I don't know the material of the bowls since they've been painted over, a common practice during this time

9. Size 25 - Suwabate (Hyuga) clamshell
180 White, 180 Black
$225 SOLD
This is an older set of stones that was very dirty when I first received them. I've worked a lot of the yellowing and oils out but they still have some minor discoloration (please see photos). 11 of the White stones have large chips so, as such, I'm offering this set at a larger discount than I normally would.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of used Keyaki bowls. They're a little large and can easily hold up to size 32 (possibly up to 34) without any difficulty.

10. Size 34 - Standard Grade (Brand New but without box)
180 White, 181 Black
$350
A beautiful set of sized 34 Standard grade stones. These stones are in brilliant new condition, but the original box is not included.
I'm including a pair of brand new Kaya bowls well fitted for the set.

11. Size 30 - Standard Grade
180 White, 181 Black
$300
A beautiful set of sized 30 standard grade stones. The stones have been cleaned and look like new. There's a few stones in the set I'd classify as Moon or Snow grade but for the most part, the stones are Standard Grade. The black stones are slightly larger at size 33.
The real gems of this set are the bowls. They're beautiful and made chiseled from Marble, not wood. I've been VERY tempted to keep these for myself because they're a quite unique and of a very different design.

12. Size 31 - Standard Grade
179 White, 179 Black
$220
A beautiful set of sized 31 standard grade stones. The stones have been cleaned and look like new. One stone has a small manufacturing defect and another a black smudge.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of old, well used Chestnut bowls. One of the bowls has a crack running down the side.

Last edited by Erythen on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:46 am 
Lives with ko

13. Size 25 - Standard Grade
180 White, 177 Black
$120 SOLD
A beautiful set of sized 25 standard grade stones in great condition. Two of the stones have a chip and three black stones are missing, but the set is in otherwise such great shape.

14. Size 37 - Moon Grade
171 White, 186 Black
$475 SOLD
A beautiful set of sized 37 Moon grade stones in great condition. The set is missing 9 white stones but has an additional 5 black.
I'm including a pair of gorgeous bowls. I'm not sure what the material is, though I suspect either well aged Sakura or Karin. The bowls are rather special, baring the mark of the artisan on the bottom. They're very well fitted for the stones.

15. Antique Suwabate (Hyuga) Go Stones
183 White, 176 Black
$75 SOLD
This is a mid-showa era set of stones. Because of their well used nature, almost all the stones have blemishes of some kind (chips, discolorations). I've cleaned the set to the best of my ability.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of old bowls. I don't know the bowls material, but I suspect either Karin or Keyaki.

16. Size 32 Standard Grade
181 White, 183 Black
$240 SOLD
A beautiful set of sized 32 standard grade stones. The stones have been cleaned and but some still have a slight yellowing.
As an added bonus, I'm including a some used but gorgeous Karin bowls. One of the bowls has a tiny chip one the inside, just under the lid.

17. Size 34 Standard Grade
177 White, 177 Black
$300
A beautiful set of sized 34 Standard grade stones. I've cleaned the stones and they're in beautiful condition. Thirty stones in the set have tiny nicks or small manufacturing defects. These are barely noticeable.
I'm including a pair of used Keyaki bowls. The bowls are a bit old and have some spotting from years of use. One of the bowls has a tiny nick on the inside under the lid. There are no cracks in the wood.

18. Size 28 - Standard Grade (new)
180 White, 181 Black
$120 SOLD
A beautiful set of sized 28 Standard grade stones. The stones are in brilliant, new condition, but in most of them, the grain isn't clear (due to how they were cut from the shell). As such, I'm offering them at a larger discount than I normally would.
As an added bonus, I'm including a pair of old Chestnut bowls well fitted for these stones.

Last edited by Erythen on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:53 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:41 am 
Lives with ko

19. Size 28 Standard Grade
178 White, 182 Black
$100 SOLD
A nice set of sized 28 stones. Sometime in the past a former owner batched the cleaning and as a result the wax finish has been removed from one side of many of these stones. I've done what I can to restore them, but the surface of many of the shell stones are still a bit uneven. This won't effect gameplay. Some of the stones still have a minor yellowing. I'm selling this set at a huge discount as a result. It'd make a good practice or travel set, but not for a collection.
I'm including a pair of used but gorgeous Keyaki bowls well fitted for the set. One of the bowls has a thin, barely noticeable crack running down the side

20. Size 31 Mixed Grades
178 White, 181 Black
$200
A beautiful set of sized 31 mixed grade stones. There are some moon and snow grades included, but most are standard. The stones have been cleaned and look like new. Thirty of the stones have tiny indentations. This is a manufacturing problem and not a result of playing. It will not affect the feel of the stones or gameplay.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set used Chestnut bowls. The bowls are in very good shape.

21. Size 30 Standard Grade
178 White, 181 Black
$200
A beautiful set of sized 30 standard grade stones. The stones have been cleaned and look like new.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set of well-fitted, used chestnut bowls. There's a crack running down the side of one of the bowls (please see the picture).

22. Size 28 Standard Grade
178 White, 180 Black
$130 SOLD
A beautiful set of sized 28 Standard grade stones. Fourteen of the stones have a small manufacturing defect and one has been chipped from play. I've cleaned the stones and they look as white as new. This would make an excellent travel set.

23. Size 38 Standard Grade
180 White, 181 Black
$400
A beautiful set of sized 39 standard grade stones. The stones have been cleaned and look like new. There are a few stones sized 37 and a few up to size 40, most are size 38. Nineteen of the stones have tiny indentations. This is a minor manufacturing problem and not a result of playing. It will not affect the feel of the stones or gameplay.
As an added bonus, I'm including a set used Chestnut bowls. The bowls are exquisite shape.

Last edited by Erythen on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:42 am 
Lives with ko

Table Boards

1. Foldable Katsura Table Board
$20 SOLD
Used, but still in decent shape. Please make allowances for scuffs or minor dints. Check the pictures for details. I've oiled the wood and applied a protective wax to the board. This would make a simple but excellent travel piece.

2. Foldable Katsura Table Board
$20 SOLD
Used Katsura board. Please make allowances for scuffs or dints. This piece is slightly larger than the usual folding boards, but has been very well used and has several dints and some small parts of the grid have been scuffed away. Check the pictures for details. I've oiled the wood and applied a protective wax to the board. This would make a simple but excellent travel piece.

3. Foldable Katsura Table Board
$30
The board is new, though there is one dent from shipment and the box is a bit beaten-up. This is one of Nintendo's products. Their Katsura boards tend to be a bit gritty and dry when they arrive so I've applied a healthy coating of oil and wax to the surface. The board feels very good now. Please examine the pictures for details.

Last edited by Erythen on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 am 
Lives with ko

Floor Boards

Kaya is the undisputed kind of Go boards. Its close grain and soft color appeals to the eye and the soft click of stones gently rolls over the ears. Newer Kaya boards emanate a soft, sweet smell that make playing on this wood a true experiance in aesthetics. Old growth Kaya is no longer harvestable in either Japan or China; with these ancient trees now protected by law new material for Kaya boards is becoming ever more scarce.

Because of the relative rarity of large Kaya trees and the expense involved in harvesting them, Katsura is a fine substitute wood that commonly grows in the northern Tohoku and Hokkaido regions of Japan. I'd rank it second in quality to Kaya. While it lacks Kaya's fine smell and elegant grain it makes up for these shortcomings in durability and longevity.

1. Kaya Floor/Table Board - Kiomote Cut
2.5 Sun (6.2 Sun with legs)
$140 SOLD
This beautiful piece would play well as a floor or table board. To convert from floor to table, just remove the legs. The board has some damage and was unprofessionally repaired at sometime in its past. There's a scrape along the bottom and one of the corners has had some wood filler poorly applied (also on a small crack in the side). Much of the cinnamon smell remains in the wood, but most has dissipated over the years. There are some minor cracks on surface of the board (barely noticeable) and it remains free of warping.

2. Showa Era Kaya - Kiomote Cut
4.0 Sun (7.1 Sun with legs)
$200
This beautiful board is several decades old, dating from Showa era Japan. This piece has been covered in a varnish for protection, something not generally recommended for Go board, but remains gorgeous. There are a few cracks in the sides, please see the pictures. The surface remains warp free and in great playing condition. A large crack on the bottom makes it difficult to keep one of the legs in. Someone in the past has glued the leg, but to no effect. Please see the picture. The cinnamon smell remains strong in the wood if you remove the legs, but the surface smell has dissipated much over the years.
3. Katsura - Kiura Cut
4.9 Sun (8.8 Sun with legs)
$175 SOLD
This beautiful Katsura board with a very fine surface. This board is used and there is a small indentation in the top and one corner is dented. Aside form the indentation, the top is in new shape. There are some minor cracks in the sides and spotting on the sides and bottom.

4. Floor Board - Kiomote Cut
3.6 Sun (8.7 Sun with legs)
$100
I came across this unusual board and thought I'd offer it. It's an amateur crafted Go board. The material is unknown, possibly pine. There's a slight top warp but this will not affect gameplay. There’s a noticeable warp on the bottom. Some side cracks and large bottom cracks that have been covered by a grayish paint. The grid appears to have been drawn on using a quality marker rather than the usual ink. Please study the pictures before bidding. This would be an excellent starters board, but not recommended for a collection. The board includes a gray painted wooden cover.

5. Antique Kaya - Kiomote Cut
4.0 Sun (7.9 Sun with legs)
$120 SOLD
This is a rather old board, dating from mid-Showa era Japan. This piece has been covered some kind of a yellowish paint-like substance, something not generally recommended for Go boards. There are a few small cracks in the sides, please see the pictures. There's a tiny, almost unnoticeable warp on the top that will not affect game play. The cinnamon smell remains strong in the wood if you remove the legs, but the surface smell has dissipated over the years.

6. Katsura - Kiomote Cut
4.6 Sun (8.3 Sun with legs)
$100
This piece has been covered some kind of a yellowish paint-like substance, something not generally recommended for Go boards. There are a few small cracks in the sides, please see the pictures. It looks like someone tried to shave the yellowing off on the bottom and the legs, but to no effect. There has been some repair work on the side. The board has a lot of discoloration and some denting. The're some cracks on the side extending a little to the top. This would make a great starter board, but not recommended for a collection.

7. Showa Era Kaya - Kiomote Cut
3.7 Sun (78 Sun with legs)
$200 SOLD
This beautiful board is several decades old, dating from Showa era Japan. There are a few cracks in the sides, please see the pictures. The surface warps a little in the corners, but will not affect stone placement. There's a noticeable warp on the bottom. There has been some professional repair work on the sides and bottom. There is a little crack in the middle of the board. Some of the sweet cinnamon scent remains on the surface and is strong in the wood if you remove the legs.

8. Katsura - Kiomote Cut
4.6 Sun (8.7 Sun with legs)
$100
This Katsura board has been well used. The piece has been covered some kind of a yellowish paint-like substance, something not generally recommended for Go boards. There are numerous dents, discolorations and some small cracks, please see the pictures. This would make a great starter board, but not recommended for a collection.