It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New and Used Clamshell Sets for Sale.
Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:01 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
I've managed to procure several new Slate and Shell sets and I'm putting up for sale. I'll list them here as well as on Ebay, but the price here will be lower (because of Ebay's outrageous fees). I'll be happy to take Money Orders or Paypal, but if you use paypal, I'll request that you add an additional 3% to offset their fees.

I'll include a "How to Care for Stones" guide with each purchase.

If you have any questions, or would like more pictures of an individual set, please let me know!

Sets:

1. Size 31, Standard Grade Sold
Cost: $200
Condition: Used, 172 Clamshell Stones, 181 (full set) Slate stones. An additional six stones (not pictured as part of the set) have chips and are shown in a separate photo.
Bonus: A pair of well sized chestnut bowls.

Description: This is a beautiful set of sized 31 standard grade stones. It is a used, but for the age, there is surprisingly little discoloration. The set includes 172 white stones (plus an additional six not included in the main set that are chipped) which is far more than enough to play a full game. I've cleaned and waxed the stones myself so they will arrive in beautiful condition.

As an added bonus, I'm including a set of Chestnut bowls that are perfectly sized for this set. Please note however, that these are very old bowls, and have several flaws. One of them has a crack running about halfway down both sides. In addition the wood is very dry, I've done what I can to restore it, but my skills in this department are limited. None the less, the bowls are well sized to the stones and will last many years.

This would be an excellent travel set for casual go club meetings.

2. Size 34, Moon Grade Sold
Cost: $350
Condition: Used, 182 clamshell stones (Full Set with two extra) and 178 Slate Stones (More than enough for a full game).
Bonus: A nice fitting and beautiful pair of chestnut bowls.

Description: This is a beautiful set of moon grade stones that, while used, have retained their luster and beauty. I've cleaned and waxed them so they appear in brilliant condition. The set includes a full 180 white stones plus an additional 2 for replacements. While three slate stones short of a full set, it's still more than enough to play a full game.

One note about the black stones. They are 10.1 mm which would make them size 36. The difference between 34 and 36 is minuscule and won't be seen on the board.

As an added bonus, I'm giving a set of nicely fitted chestnut bowls. These bowls are beautiful, but there is a crack in one that runs down the side, nonetheless, they are a beautiful addition.

3. Size 28, Standard Grade Sold
Cost: $150
Condition: New

Description: This is a new set of sized 28 standard grade stones. The stones are brand new and have never been played with. These beautiful stones seem to glide across the board like silk. A small note on the size. They're actually a tad larger than the standard sized 28 (which is 7.5mm), however, since size 29 is not used in marketing, I suspect the manufacturer listed them as 28 for that reason.

4. Size 38, Standard Grade (Sold at a discount - please see description) Sold
Cost: $330

Description: This is a new and unused set of stones that I'd rank as moon grade but there are several standard stones included and a unusual feature which prevents me from marking these as Moon Grade. This is the largest set that I've put on sale and it would be a beautiful edition to a collection. The the majority of the stones have a brown (or at times purple) discoloration on the bottom. This is a natural color from the clams and not a result of use, oils or dirt (Please see the photos). With the exception of two stones, the coloration does not affect the top playing surface. One may view these stones as a unique addition to a collection because of their unusual coloration. They're brand new and as a result glide across the board like silk. This set includes an extra two slate stones and an additional two shell.

5. Size: 37, Standard Grade Sold
Cost: $300

Description: This is a set of Mr. Kuroki's sized 37 standard grade stones. They're beautiful and unused. Mr. Kuroki's standard grade stones are unique because of the way he cuts them. Most manufacturers will cut standard grade so that the grain wraps around the shell, but with Mr. Kuroki's stones, the grain remains strait and is thus far more aesthetically pleasing. These stones are new and unused and glide like silk across the board. A small note on the size. The box lists these stones are size 36, however I've measured them and they are in fact size 37 (a .3 mm difference); please see my caliper photo for comparison. This set includes and extra 2 slate stones and an additional 2 shell stones.

6. Size: 31, Snow Grade Sold
Cost: $650
Condition: Used, 179 Shell stones (plus an additional 2 that are chipped), 179 Slate stones
Bonus: Beautiful Mulberry (or Zelkova) bowls and Paulowina Box

Description: This is the nicest set I'm currently selling. It was lovingly cared for by an elderly gentleman in Japan. The stones are snow grade and sized 31 (Sizes 31 - 33 are considered the most ascetically pleasing). These stones are actually a tad larger than normal sized 31 but still smaller than sized 32 so I'm marking them as 31. Snow grade is the highest grade of stone and is both gorgeous and elegant. I've cleaned these stones and there are no flaws or discoloration aside from two (not part of the full set photo) that are chipped.

This would be a beautiful collectors set.

I'm not sure whether these bowls are Mulberry or Zelkova. These bowls have a golden sheen in the light (Zelkova has a brownish orange sheen), but I'm not an expert in go bowls so if anyone knows for sure please contact me. They appear darker and more red in these photos than in person (true color is more of a golden yellow). These bowls are used so there are dents, which are to be expected. There's a slight spot (hardly noticeable) on top of one of the lids.

The paulowina box is quite old, and I've had to have it repaired, but it remains beautiful and adds an air of class to the collection.

Last edited by Erythen on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

This post by Erythen was liked by: ez4u

Post subject: Re: New and Used Clamshell Sets for Sale.
Post #2 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Really nice stuff you offer here. Hadn’t I just spent my measly savings on that banjo I’d certainly yield to temptation … I hope you’ll offer similar sets some time in the future :-)

Post #3 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:16 pm 
Lives with ko

Bonobo wrote:
Really nice stuff you offer here. Hadn’t I just spent my measly savings on that banjo I’d certainly yield to temptation … I hope you’ll offer similar sets some time in the future

I hope so to :). I'll try to post more every 3 - 6 months depending on how often I can find good sets and how well the previous lot sold.

Let me know what you're looking for and I'll keep and eye out for you.

This post by Erythen was liked by: Bonobo

Post #4 Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:06 pm 
Lives with ko

Sold set #5. Thank you.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:32 pm 
Lives with ko

Sets #3 and #4 have both sold. Thank you :)

Post #6 Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:41 pm 
Oza

<jealous> ;-)

Post #7 Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Sold set #1

As a side note, I'll have a huge shipment of new and used stones coming in from Japan in the next few weeks. I'll post them here when I can.

This post by Erythen was liked by: Bonobo

Post #8 Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:27 am 
Oza

Erythen wrote:
[..] I'll have a huge shipment of new and used stones coming in from Japan in the next few weeks. I'll post them here when I can.

You can, Erythen ;-) please do!

Post #9 Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Sold the Size 31 stone sets. Still one set left (Sized 34 Moon Grade).

As a side note I'll have a huge shipment coming in quite soon and should be able to post more sets within the next week or two.

Shipment includes:

Goban
1. One Kimote Cut Native Japanese Kaya board. (about 5.5 Sun)
2. One very old Kimote Cut Native Japanese Kaya Board with stones and Paulowina covers for both stones and board (about 5.8 Sun) - Unknown stone size and grade (must inspect first) and a set of bowls (possibly Keyaki but must be examined first)--- Despite the age, I believe this will be a beautiful set.
3. One board of unknown material (probably Katsura, but must inspect it first)
4. One Kiura cut Katsura board

Stones
1. Set of sized 25 or 28 stones Standard Grade Stones with chestnut bowls(used)
2. Set of Sized 22 Standard Grade Stones with chestnut bowls(used)
3. Set of Sized 28 Standard Grade stones with a well fitted pair of beautiful new Kaya bowls (Stones new or used, must examine them first)
4. Set of sized 22 or 25 Standard Grade Stones with chestnut bowls (used)
5. Set of sized 22 or 25 Standard Grade Stones with chestnut bowls (used)
6. Set of Sized 31 Standard (or possibly Moon) grade stones (used)
7. Set of Sized 40 Standard Grade Stones (NEW)
8. Set of Sized 22 or 25 Standard Grade Stones with chestnut bowls (used)
9. Set of Sized 25 Standard Grade Stones (NEW)
10. Set of single convex Shell and Slate stones, size unknown (must be measured first but they're quite old) (used)
11. Set of sized 25 unknown grade stones (must be inspected first) with a pair Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls.
12. Set of unknown stones. The bowls in this set are obviously plastic and I couldn't tell if these were glass or slate and shell, but decided to take a chance anyway. IF they are real, the'll be Sized 35 Snow Grade (I'm keeping my fingers crossed!)
13. Set of sized 37 Moon or Snow grades stones (need to be inspected first). Comes with a beautiful old Paulowina box and gorgeous new Kaya bowls. (used)
14. Set of sized 28 Standard Grade Stones (NEW)
15. Set of sized 22 or 25 Standard Grade Stones with Kayaki (Zelkova) bowls(very old)(used)
16. Set of sized 32 Standard Grade Stones with Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls (New or Used, must be inspected first)
17. Set of sized 34 Standard Grade Stones with Keyaki (Zelkova), Sakura (aged a bit so it's darkened) or Kirin Bowls (need to inspect to be sure) (used)
18. Set of very thin Standard Grade Stones (size unknown but smaller than 22)(used)
19. Set of sized 24 Standard Grade Stones (possibly moon - need to inspect first) with beautiful Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls.
20. Set of sized 38 Moon Grade Stones (possibly snow - must inspect first) with a gorgeous set of Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls, used but beautiful Pawlonia Box and purple cushions for the bowls. (New or Used, must inspect first) --> This is one of, if not the nicest sets I've offered before.
21. Set of sized 24 Hyuga Native Japanese Clamshell Stones - Snow Grade with a beautiful, brilliantly aged set of Keyaki (Zelkova) bowls. This is a very old set, dated at the late Taisho and early Showa era (1920's). The stones are not uniform in size +/- .6 mm. I'm probably not going to be offering this set for sale just yet. Because they're Hyuga stones I want to send them to Mr. Kuroki for professional cleaning and verification. But thought I'd mention them here nonetheless ;)

Anyway, I should have these stones and boards cleaned (if needed) and posted here within the next week or two.

Thank you!

Post #10 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:18 pm 
Oza

Bad, bad, BAD Erythen for such a cliffhanger :twisted:

Post #11 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:09 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Sadly I do not need any more stones. However, I wanted to compliment you on the great presentation of the stones. This should be a model of how to present things for sale. I went through all the pictures of each set just because I like looking at Go equipment. :blackeye:
:tmbup: :tmbup: :tmbup:

This post by ez4u was liked by: Bonobo