It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: android app for kgs
Post #1 Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:51 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
I bought a tablet with Android(4.2.2) and a touchscreen ( Lidl €100: SurfTab Xiron 7.0 HD ).
I am not so versatile yet with Android and touchscreen so any help and advice is welcome.
I just installed the kgs app from the store. ( about €7 ). I couldn't find any help with its userinterface. For example I like to watch games of the high dans. Often I jump in half way so I rewind to the beginning. So far so good. Now I like the moves to be replayed automatically at some speed. How to accomplish that? So I run ( by clicking ) through the moves until at move 274 ( mysterious vs twoeye today ) it stops. Also the clock has stopped. So I guess there was a resignation. But no idea who is ahead ( well W I guess ). How to use the unbeatable score estimator? Only the chat at the actual move seems visible. And so on. In general: where is the manual?

edit: I just decided this thread should be in the clubs/kgs section. I asked the administration to move it there.

Post subject: Re: android app for kgs
Post #2 Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
cyclops wrote:
I bought a tablet with Android(4.2.2) and a touchscreen ( Lidl €100: SurfTab Xiron 7.0 HD ).
I am not so versatile yet with Android and touchscreen so any help and advice is welcome.
I just installed the kgs app from the store. ( about €7 ). I couldn't find any help with its userinterface. For example I like to watch games of the high dans. Often I jump in half way so I rewind to the beginning. So far so good. Now I like the moves to be replayed automatically at some speed. How to accomplish that? So I run ( by clicking ) through the moves until at move 274 ( mysterious vs twoeye today ) it stops. Also the clock has stopped. So I guess there was a resignation. But no idea who is ahead ( well W I guess ). How to use the unbeatable score estimator? Only the chat at the actual move seems visible. And so on. In general: where is the manual?

edit: I just decided this thread should be in the clubs/kgs section. I asked the administration to move it there.

One issue is that not all of the features implemented in the standalone client are available in the android app. This includes score estimator and, I believe, auto replay as well.

Chat is not separated out by moves like it is on the web client, instead what happens is that once you enter a game you start to receive the chat messages and they will all show up sequentially. If you leave the game and re-enter it, the chat will again be blank until people start talking again (to my knowledge this was done to keep data usage down on mobile). As far as a manual goes, if you press the menu key on any given page there should be a help button that explains the page, that is probably the best you will find for now (until someone updates the KGS help page wiki about the client....but that may be a bit of a project).

One thing that might help in making the android client a little friendlier -- when you are on your web client add people you like to observe to your fan list. The fan games tab is easily accessible from the android client (unfortunately you can't yet add people to buddy or fan lists via the client yet).

This post by Mef was liked by: cyclops