It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bigdoug and nyanjilla resign as admins
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:55 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 47
KGS: xDragon
all i can say is thank. bleeping. god. easily the 2 worst admins on KGS. now we can finally take a step in the right direction.

Post subject: Re: bigdoug and nyanjilla resign as admins
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I think it's a sad day when two of the best go. Thanks for all the work, BigDoug and Nyanjilla.

This post by oren was liked by 3 people: jdl, wms, xed_over

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:31 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
After all the hassle associated with being a senior admin on KGS I am surprised they lasted that long. I quit four years ago because of it (of course I started before they did). Anyone who says they were bad admins needs to spend a bit of time trying to do their job. Instead of saying good riddance why not thank them for all the thankless hours they have spent making KGS a place worth visiting?

This post by DrStraw was liked by 3 people: jdl, topazg, wms

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:55 pm 
Lives with ko

DrStraw wrote:
After all the hassle associated with being a senior admin on KGS I am surprised they lasted that long. I quit four years ago because of it (of course I started before they did). Anyone who says they were bad admins needs to spend a bit of time trying to do their job. Instead of saying good riddance why not thank them for all the thankless hours they have spent making KGS a place worth visiting?

because they went out of their way to make my KGS experience hell. no reason to thank them for that.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:28 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
DrStraw wrote:

I don't doubt that being a senior admin is a hassle. I recall Nyanjilla before he (she?) was promoted to being a senior admin. Basically it was the same story as with most others - they stop chatting. I made the mistake of chatting with Nyanjilla one day a little while after she/he became a senior admin. She basically told me to go screw myself, not using those words of course. She made her dislike of me known and it was apparently personal.

It's a stressful job I assume. The problem with some admins (yourself included) is that you tend to "over administrate". For example, there was a conversation about Go in movies a little while ago, all I can remember is that it was go-related. Some fool of a user tried to change the subject into something rude, and as a result bigdoug told us to move the entire conversation into the ECR. Wow, just wow. Now, I don't fault bigdoug, maybe he did the right thing, but it seemed a little harsh to punish the 6 or 7 people who were having a constructive discussion because of some idiot. But life is life.

Thing is, I let it pass, I didn't complain or say anything. I don't know if others did but I doubt that sort of the thing is the reason why they quit.. was it?

In the end I don't know why bigdoug or nyanjilla (or even you) resigned. Yes there was the 1 in a thousand incident, there always is, I guess it must be for something we as end users didn't see.

As for "yourself included" here's your 1 in a thousand incident, DrStraw. The day you abused your power as an admin by trolling me in the EGR, after I had announced I was going to give a lecture in the KGS Teaching Ladder Room (which was certainly not against the rules). You accused me of bragging that I had given x number of teaching games (turning around in the same phrase saying you had given many more than me) and then accusing me of only teaching (and/or writing my books) to feed my ego. Something like that -- I forget the exact words you used but you were quite rude and what you said at the time was uncalled for. When I complained that what you were saying was unfair or inappropriate you told me to end the discussion or I would be banned. Now granted maybe you had a bad day -- it was pretty much the only time I had seen you act that way in public so I just took it and ended the discussion.

I know in the past we may have traded words for one reason or another but an admin shouldn't act that way. You see, this incident between us was nothing. I don't hold you to anything or hate you. But people remember this because it isn't about you, they don't see Steve. They see DrStraw's gold star and they're afraid.

Again I don't know what happened I didn't even know they (or you) quit until I read about it after the fact. I guess another long period in online go history comes to a close now.

I wish you and BigDoug and Nyanjilla all the best.

Last edited by usagi on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:43 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
xDragon wrote:
all i can say is thank. bleeping. god. easily the 2 worst admins on KGS. now we can finally take a step in the right direction.

Wait a minute, how did you know? I didn't see anything, anywhere... no announcement of any kind, unless I missed something.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:17 am 
Lives with ko

usagi wrote:
xDragon wrote:

Wait a minute, how did you know? I didn't see anything, anywhere... no announcement of any kind, unless I missed something.

a user in egr mentioned it, and i checked their accounts and they are no longer admins, dsaun also mentioned that they had resigned but no other info was known

Post #8 Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:52 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
KGS: Grace
I have personally asked the owner of KGS to remove Nyanjilla as an admin because I felt she was doing the server a disservice by her behavior and what she was doing was probably not consistent with his wishes. Now she is gone I am happy. BigDoug was heavy handed but in a simple minded way. Nyan was far more subtle and mean spirited. I hope she has turned to something more suitable for her.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
and they're back (or did they ever leave in the first place?)

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:15 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
KGS: NoSkill
I remember when i was 18k and didnt know how to count, my opponent tried to just say "your stones are dead" and i said no (couldnt tell).

So when sweety came in, instead of whispering me the rules or an explaination, she just banned me for a day :L

Post #11 Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
NoSkill wrote:
I remember when i was 18k and didnt know how to count, my opponent tried to just say "your stones are dead" and i said no (couldnt tell).

So when sweety came in, instead of whispering me the rules or an explaination, she just banned me for a day :L

I remember when my kids were young and were disagreeing with me so strongly (that they wouldn't have accepted an explanation if I had tried), I just sent them to their rooms without supper.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:47 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 29
KGS: CBlue
Being admin is by far harder than most people imagine, and few are really cut out for it.

KGS admins are no exception and even their highest-positioned ones would often display admin sickness (foul mood and seeing ghosts were no affront was meant nor given). After all they are just normal people who did the job for free in their spare time.

Admin sickness seems to be able to occur on any otherwise completely sane person, so it's small wonder that some people may describe an admin as a bastard operator from hell while others praise his/her good personality.

I remotely knew someone (not KGS related) who was admin (on a game server too though) for quite some time until they had to send him off into holidays because he snapped. ^^'

However, wms probably does well if he applies some quality control, because even if KGS admins don't get paid - if you put the wrong people in positions such important as senior/super admin, you risk turning a good deal of your userbase off (48 hour ban over exactly one whole weekend for about 50 players at once, anyone remember? ^^).

Post #13 Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
After watching sweety, mach1, javaness, and mef work hard at the us go congress to help us game recorders keep order over 16 high volume games: theyre damn good.

When they help with kgs hosted tournaments: still the best.

I hope that if they resigned theyre still chilling out and playing go there. Thanks to all you hard working admins. If youre at go congress this year, find me and I'll buy you a beer.

This post by vash3g was liked by 2 people: Chew Terr, xed_over

Post #14 Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:06 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 29
KGS: CBlue
vash3g wrote:
After watching sweety, mach1, javaness, and mef work hard at the us go congress to help us game recorders keep order over 16 high volume games: theyre damn good.

When they help with kgs hosted tournaments: still the best.

I hope that if they resigned theyre still chilling out and playing go there. Thanks to all you hard working admins. If youre at go congress this year, find me and I'll buy you a beer.

Also want to add It, Taro and UnclMartin to that list of nice admins. Yay.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 59
Universal go server handle: mw42
I miss BigDoug (although, it seems like he may be back, but not as big of a "force" as he used to be). I had some problems with him in the past (banned 3 times; logged 3 complaints), but I think the chat was a lot more controlled with his iron fist!