It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blind go with KGS
Post #1 Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:22 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
This idea came to me when i turn the April Fool on KGS .

The black stone colour changed to pink . So i think , it's not a problem to change color from black to white , right ?

I was play 3 blind game in go , same color ( 2 was white , and last is black ) . I feel my reading improved a lot . really !

I remember all stone i made event after 2 days played ( it's imposible for me before that )
I don't want to disturb my rival . so i'm asking , there are anyone , can help me , I only need to have litle change with April fools ( change black to white color ) so that i can play with another player blind game without disturb them .

This is more fun to play go , i think this is posible to change ( because i have file name Cgoban-hacked - it's change typing color - so help me a lot to reading the comment in game ) and it do not need to upgrade version to login kgs sever ...

I think it's not too hard to do this for a programmer ( but i'm not one )

so please help me . thank a lot .

Post subject: Re: Blind go with KGS
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:04 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
Just FYI:

What you're talking about is one-color Go.

Blind Go is where either or both players don't get to see the board at all, they just call the coordinates they want to play at, and are told the coordinates of where the other person played.

Anyway, from my one experiences with one-color Go, if you can visualize the different shapes, then it's pretty easy (and fun), with the added benefit of being more easily able to play the whole game back from memory. However, it seems many people have difficulty doing this, so the game usually doesn't go all the way through endgame. As for reading, I think it's actually a little more difficult to read very deeply, because in addition to possible sequences, you need to reserve some mental space for all the existing sequences that have been played.

Pros and cons aside, it is very fun. I enjoy it a whole lot more than pair Go (which I just consider stressful, and not much fun at all), for example.

Actual blind Go would probably be way too much for me (as I do not readily think in terms of coordinates, so too much time and effort would have to go into converting the coordinates into a mental image... I doubt I'd last very far into middle game this way).

Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:35 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Indeed. Blindfold go is generally too difficult for professionals: http://www.gogod.co.uk/NewInGo/Blindfold_1.htm

Post #4 Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:21 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
vinhan wrote:
I don't want to disturb my rival . so i'm asking , there are anyone , can help me , I only need to have litle change with April fools ( change black to white color ) so that i can play with another player blind game without disturb them .

Do you mean that you want to play one color go, but your rival should see two colors? If you are both about the same strength, that's giving your rival quite an advantage. :shock: Why not just both play one color go so your rival can also enjoy the learning experience. :) Instructions for doing this on KGS are here:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?OneColourGoOnKGS

Have fun!

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
there are no other way ?

that method seem too much trouble ....

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:12 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Like you mentioned, Cgoban-h can do it. I also know Wbaduk can do this. I don't know about other servers/clients. I don't quite understand what issue you're having with Cgoban-h - could you rephrase it?

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:35 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
KGS: f4223n354
IGS: f4223n354
Wbaduk: f4223n354
i think the method from sensei library is kinda tiring but i'm sure it's possible
the admin can just add an option in game type (ranked, free, rengo, simul, teaching, demonstration) with new option: one colored.
technically speaking it's not to difficult.
they just need to give another index to set the 2 stones aside.
i mean, well, usually we goes with colored index black-white
in one colored go there's white-white or black-black but there's another index to differentiate them which should be invisible to player but visible to spectator.
the index can be seen if both player agree in case there's a conflic

but, well, practically i don't really know since i'm still in learning process to be a programmer :oops:
this is just an idea, if kgs can make it happen it'll be great
:bow: :bow: :bow: