It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: stone clicking sound missing - windows 7
Post #41 Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Teralaser -

Thank you for your clear and detailed description of that workaround.

My rough understanding of what it does is that it makes cgoban use the older version of java - is this correct?

Nonetheless, this solution is different than the solutions recommended by KGS (see https://www.gokgs.com/help/Java.html ).

I personally have now downgraded java to version 31. but since this is not a very good permanent solution, I would still like someone to explain how to implement UnclMartin's solution.

He writes:

Quote:
Edit the shortcut or command that starts CGoban and add
-J-Dsun.sound.useNewAudioEngine="false"
after javaws.

Command? To start KGS, I click an icon, which I assume is what is meant by shortcut. Where in my shortcut is this "javaws" ? Like I said, in properties I found javaws.exe, but putting something before the .exe seems not to make sense. Please remember, we're not all born typing code.

Post #42 Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:19 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 9
Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately... I'm still not getting any sound...
I think I'll try going over everything one more time tomorrow... hopefully it works then :scratch:

I really can't stand not knowing when the other player has placed a stone on the board... Run out of time fast ><
So I think I'll just play my Tygem account until I can resolve this...

Post #43 Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:32 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
daal wrote:
Teralaser -

Thank you for your clear and detailed description of that workaround.

My rough understanding of what it does is that it makes cgoban use the older version of java - is this correct?

Nonetheless, this solution is different than the solutions recommended by KGS (see https://www.gokgs.com/help/Java.html ).

I personally have now downgraded java to version 31. but since this is not a very good permanent solution, I would still like someone to explain how to implement UnclMartin's solution.

He writes:

Quote:
after javaws.

Command? To start KGS, I click an icon, which I assume is what is meant by shortcut. Where in my shortcut is this "javaws" ? Like I said, in properties I found javaws.exe, but putting something before the .exe seems not to make sense. Please remember, we're not all born typing code.

When I right click on the KGS icon on my desktop [edit: and then left click on "properties"], I see this...
The original line under "Target" here is:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe -localfile "C:\Users\dave\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\54\21086f76-54db9c90"

After I modify it following UnclMartin's instructions it looks like this:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe -J-Dsun.sound.useNewAudioEngine="false" "C:\Users\dave\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\54\21086f76-54db9c90"

This is all under Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit and it works for me. Note that the absence of -localfile in the edited "Target" line did not do anything bad for me. :)

Post subject: daal , yes
Post #44 Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Universal go server handle: teralaser
Hello Daal, yes the javaws -J-Dsun.sound.useNewAudioEngine="false" cgoban.jnlp solution also works on my machine.
I've heard the "big ugly hack" one also works (but for ordinary users it might be tricky to find the right java version, I suspect), but I have no time to test for a while (travelling).

My solution is a basic downgrade, yes.

Also, my solution gets around the "not signed" problem with gokgs: some users can not even get the java web start to work *at all*.

(I think some of this security change is very warranted, on one of my machines the S.M.A.R.T. hdd virus did attach to the gokgs.jnlp or .jar - deleting the jnlp cache and loading it again solved it - again not easy for non-coder users)

Post #45 Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Biguglyhack worked for me, as of this weekend. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I had almost resorted to running it in Ubuntu or XP through virtualbox...though I'm not sure it would have worked.

Post #46 Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:00 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
ez4u wrote:

Thanks, Dave.

Post #47 Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
daal wrote:
ez4u wrote:

Thanks, Dave.

Glad to be able to help. I assume that this fix will break every time we update Java because those updates keep changing the directory structure. So keep this thread handy! :blackeye:

Post #48 Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:08 am 
Dies in gote

- Well, I tried the "biguglyfile" trick... didn't work.
- Tried the altered extension with AudioEngine="false" extension... didn't work.
- Cleared Java cache. Uninstalled all Java. Only installed version 6.31 of Java. (Tried same with 6.30.) Still didn't work... :cry:

(Oh and I did a "system recovery" but that didn't help either...)

Any Java geniuses have an idea of what to try next? :study:

Really don't want to give up on KGS. Worse comes to worse I'll buy the Android app to play on my tablet, which I've thinking of getting anyways, but I'd still like to play with sound on my computer.

Post #49 Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 63
KGS: Toge
I had stone click sound missing (not sure of other sounds, didn't test) when I auto-updated to Java 7 update 5, but I got them back when I deleted it from control panel and redownloaded Java 6 update 31 from this link:
https://www.gokgs.com/help/Java.html

Using Windows x64 (64-bit)

Post #50 Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
I really don't want to have to mess around with my system and possibly change things that might cause problems later. This sounds like an issue with CGoban... is it likely that the developer will fix this and release a new version?

Post #51 Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:27 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
wms wrote:
Yes, the stone clicks were the first sounds added to KGS, back when Java was young and the only audio system was very primitive.

Later as I added more audio I would always use the "latest and best" java audio system, and because Java audio was always screwed up they kept writing whole new systems, so now there are three different audio systems that KGS uses. I would have expected the old systems in java to pass through to the newer, but no that is not the case, instead they use totally different underlying system APIs in some cases, so you get weird things where you hear the clicks but not the KGS Plus audio, or the warning beeps but not the clicks, or whatever. Sigh.

How hard is it to fix this?

Post #52 Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:00 am 
Dies in gote

Sumatakyo wrote:
- Well, I tried the "biguglyfile" trick... didn't work.
- Tried the altered extension with AudioEngine="false" extension... didn't work.
- Cleared Java cache. Uninstalled all Java. Only installed version 6.31 of Java. (Tried same with 6.30.) Still didn't work... :cry:

(Oh and I did a "system recovery" but that didn't help either...)

Any Java geniuses have an idea of what to try next? :study:

Really don't want to give up on KGS. Worse comes to worse I'll buy the Android app to play on my tablet, which I've thinking of getting anyways, but I'd still like to play with sound on my computer.

Well I was wrong. I thought the stone clicking didn't work because when I open a game and edit it, no stone sounds are heard... but after loging in and trying it... it does work with games online!

Thank you for those that posted tips for fixing the bug :tmbup:

Post #53 Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:25 am 
Beginner

KGS: VPP
I use the solution from UnclMartin and it works! Thank you!

I am using Windows Vista (32-bit).

UnclMartin wrote:
Here is a solution that comes to us via email that should work for the Java Web Start client (but not the applet):

after javaws.

For example, if your command was javaws cgoban.jnlp change it to javaws -J-Dsun.sound.useNewAudioEngine="false" cgoban.jnlp

Some of you please try this, and post the results here.

For those of you who use the "java" command instead of the "javaws", remove the "-J" For example,
java -Dsun.sound.useNewAudioEngine="false" -jar cgoban.jar

Thank you, person that sent the email.
(I guess he wishes to remain anonymous, since he did not post that here himself.)

Post #54 Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 12
KGS: UnclMartin
The fix I relayed is the "official" fix from Oracle. However, the admins are getting reports that it does not work for Java 1.7 updates 4 and 5. The fix from Nick23 seems to work on more systems.

Thank you to those who provided the details on using that fix.

In addition to it not working on Java 1.7 updates 4 and later, some users might encounter a command line length limitation. I just tried it on a Windows XP machine. The original command was this:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\javaws.exe -localfile -J-Djnlp.application.href=http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban-nfa.jnlp "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\8\30bb1788-51c4a15f"

When I tried to add the switch, I expected this:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\javaws.exe -J-Dsun.sound.useNewAudioEngine="false" -localfile -J-Djnlp.application.href=http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban-nfa.jnlp "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\8\30bb1788-51c4a15f"

However, because that would have made the command too long, I actually got this: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\javaws.exe -J-Dsun.sound.useNewAudioEng -localfile -J-Djnlp.application.href=http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban-nfa.jnlp "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\8\30bb1788-51c4a15f"

In that case, I can delete -J-Djnlp.application.href=http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban-nfa.jnlp in order to make more room, and the client appears to start up and run normally.* However, I do not know what effect deleting that it might later have.

*This computer uses Java 1.7, update 5. I tried this fix here to see whether or not it would fix the missing stone click here. It did not fix the missing stone click problem.

Post #55 Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
I started encountering this problem last night. I read this thread and tried updating my java to 7, and using the ugly hack, and nothing worked for me. But when I opened up the KGS configure menu and selected that the sounds apply for "all games" instead of just my own the stone clicks were back for everything.

Post subject: stone clicking sound missing - windows vista
Post #56 Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:39 am 
Beginner

faced problem during entire day yesterday.

:b1: tried downgrading: failed

:b2: tried modifying address of shorcut CGban: failed

:b3: tried biguglyhack: worked

system: Windows Vista 64X
java: 7 update 5

difficult thing was to transform javadummymixer_biguglyhack.zip into javadummymixer_biguglyhack.jar.

made it through:

:b1: change of folder options in control panels of windows, found in system options, to ask system to show extension of all files on system

:b2: right-click on file javadummymixer_biguglyhack.zip, properties, change of javadummymixer_biguglyhack.zip to .jar

:b3: placement of modified file into folder: Program(x86) > Java > jre7 > lib > ext > javadummymixer_biguglyhack.jar

then:

load of KGS > login > automatch > SOUND OF STONES!

thanks to Nick23

Post subject: Re: stone clicking sound missing - windows vista
Post #57 Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:52 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
tidiview wrote:
[font=verdana]faced problem during entire day yesterday.

:b1: tried downgrading: failed

One thing here (for future commenters who might be reading this thread) -- from what I've seen when you roll back you need to roll all the way back to 1.6_30 ... the sound issue still affects many people who have 1.6_31 and later, so just rolling back to the last 1.6 isn't quite enough.

Post #58 Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
I updated my Java to (1.)7.x yesterday (from (1.)6.x), and that's when I lost stone sounds in KGS (pass sounds still work). I tried replacing "-localfile" with "-J-Dsun.sound.useNewAudioEngine="false"" in the shortcut, but no luck: still no sound. (Win7/x64)

Java has always sucked, on both Windows and especially Linux. I don't know how it ever managed to become so widespread. :)

wms, are you looking into the problem from your end?

Post #59 Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:36 pm 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 3
IGS: Exologist
Kaya handle: Exologist
Yeah, it's pretty annoying... The ugly hack worked for me, but then some weird stuff started happening so I decided to just make do with no sound until something gets fixed.

Post #60 Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:44 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
KGS: bleep
Tygem: rbleep
IGS: rbleep
Aaaargh!

I'd skimmed this thread before, and thought, "Man, this all sounds horribly complex, I'm glad this hasn't happened to me!" Sadly, the latest update yesterday has thrown me into the quagmire.

I echo a previous poster - is there anything happening on the KGS side of things? I'm not exactly a world-class hacker, and think I'm doing pretty well just getting this message on to the forum, so these edits and roll-backs and patches and fixes and bugs and other assorted goodies just sort of leave me a little lost. I appreciate the basic steps that people have posted, but I can't seem to get it sorted for some reason; the easy-to-follow diagrams just don't seem to relate to what I get on my screen when I try and follow them. Anyway, enough moaning from me. If this is the worst thing that happens to me today, I suppose that's cause for celebration.

I do find it strange how crucial the sound is. I am completely at sea without it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next