It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CGoban 3 Java App Doesn't Work with Win 8.1
Post #1 Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:00 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 11
After getting a new computer with Windows 8 I have been having no luck getting logging into KGS using CGoban3--when I start the app, accept the warning message that I am putting my computer at risk as "the certificate used to identify this application has expired", and then put in a user name and click "guest" the application just hangs for a minute or two, I then get a message "The system 'goserver.gokgs.com' is refusing connections. The server is probably down right now. Please try again later." Problem is that the server never seems to be accepting connections, at least from my computer, so I am stuck and perplexed. I am running Win8.1 and Java 7.51, so everything is up to date (perhaps that is the problem?). Do others have problems accessing KGS via CGoban3, and if so, how were you able to resolve the issue(s)?? Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: CGoban 3 Java App Doesn't Work with Win 8.1
Post #2 Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
schwartzseer wrote:
After getting a new computer with Windows 8 I have been having no luck getting logging into KGS using CGoban3--when I start the app, accept the warning message that I am putting my computer at risk as "the certificate used to identify this application has expired", and then put in a user name and click "guest" the application just hangs for a minute or two, I then get a message "The system 'goserver.gokgs.com' is refusing connections. The server is probably down right now. Please try again later." Problem is that the server never seems to be accepting connections, at least from my computer, so I am stuck and perplexed. I am running Win8.1 and Java 7.51, so everything is up to date (perhaps that is the problem?). Do others have problems accessing KGS via CGoban3, and if so, how were you able to resolve the issue(s)?? Thanks in advance!

I know there have been some issues with the most recent versions of java....I am able to get on KGS using 1.7.40, I have been putting off updating.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:47 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
There could be a few problems:

1. Your network or personal firewall is blocking you. If you're using a laptop, try to log in from another location. If it's successful, then the problem could be a firewall at this location. If unsuccessful, try turning off any firewalls within your computer, then try again.

2. Anti-virus setting is blocking you. Turn off your anti-virus to see if you can log in successfully. If so, then check to see which anti-virus setting is blocking access to KGS.

3. Java security. Try lowering the security setting to see if the connection is successful.

4. Wireless issues. Try to log in from a different wireless modem or connect directly to the modem or router to see if it works.

In most cases, items 1 and 2 are the leading causes of blocked connections (based on e-mails to the admin mailbox). However, network connectivity issues can be quite complicated to resolve, so there's no guarantee that the above four items will work. Based on results to date, however, they're a good place to start.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:25 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
BigDoug wrote:
try turning off any firewalls within your computer

This is bad advice, because it creates a great security problem. Instead, one should study one's firewall's setting and rules and modify them, where necessary.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, LocoRon

Post #5 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 pm 
Dies with sente

The point is to see whether the firewall is causing the problem. If the connection works after the firewall is turned off, then the individual rules can be changed as necessary to enable the connection to take place.

If you tell a person who's not necessarily comfortable with computers to experiment with the firewall settings (without knowing if the firewall settings are the cause of the problem in the first place), you're complicating the process. It's better to take things one step at a time.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:30 pm 
Judan

I know that it is easier to create a communication while tearing down security means temporarily. But what you suggest can allow malware or rootkits to infect the PC while the CGoban communication is re-established. There is no excuse for that.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by 2 people: badukJr, Bonobo

Post #7 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:42 pm 
Dies with sente

Fair enough. You're obviously more knowledgeable than me about how to solve these problems. I'll therefore step away from helping in this instance and you can do so instead.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:51 pm 
Judan

I do not know the details of Windows 8.1 (since I am using 7) and JRE 7 on Windows 8.1, but a PC firewall under Windows NT 6.x (such as Windows 8.1) can be eplained.

The first question is whether the PC uses the Windows firewall or a third party personal firewall. One thing must be clear on a Windows PC: use exactly one firewall at a time (otherwise the firewalls can obstruct each other).

If the PC has a so called anti-virus software or software package used OnAccess, then this can be a cause of problems for or beyond the pure firewall problems; I am assuming that no such anti-virus software (package) is used and any prior such software has been properly deaktivated and deinstalled completely. Otherwise, matters can depend much on a treatment of that software.

So given a use of only the Windows firewall, then next things to be checked are: is it activated for the current PC settings; is only Inbound or also Outbound activated; are special rules added to the default rules?

If also Outbound is used or if Inbound has special rules, then one must check whether KGS IPs / URLs and ports are allowed.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?KGSIssueFirewall

Post #9 Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:07 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 5
KGS: Hurakami
IGS: Hurakami
DGS: Hurakami
Hello. It's a bit late to reply but someone else might find it useful. I had exact same problem, I'm running Windows 8.1 and Java 7 (67th update). Here's how I solved it:
    • I'm assuming you have KGS file downloaded (cgoban.jnlp) and lastest Java version installed.
    • Go to Control Panel and select View by: either Large icons or Small icons (Not categories).
    • Scroll down, select either "Java" (or "Java (32-bit)", however it appears for you).
    • Go to security tab and lower the Security bar to "Medium".
    • Run the cgoban.jnlp, and click the checkbox that you trust this application provider and so on.
    • Kgs will now run successfully.
    • For the sake of security, I recommend you to go back to Java settings and put it back to "High", Kgs will still be working from now on.

This post by ErnestasRomeika was liked by: daal

Post #10 Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 800
Yes, this works (I had the same problem on Windows 7), and is an excellent solution, because it doesn't permanently lower the security of your home machine. I too strongly recommend that you increase your Java security to High as the last step described above.

If KGS isn't going to solve the certificate issue, then it would be good if they put some explanatory text (describing this exact solution), so that they don't lose scads of players. As other people have posted elsewhere, it would be sad indeed if a treasure like this was diminished just because people couldn't figure out how to log in any longer.