It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resume playing?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:03 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Both my opponent and I forgot to play a dame that would have forced him to connect. When entering the scoring phase the client counted one point for him there so I disagreed with the count (it was a close game so 1 point could be important). I tried to resume play but couldn't find how. Meanwhile, after maybe 20/30 seconds of me looking around, I was notified that I had lost the game. Apparently scoring was done without me agreeing to it and many dead stones were not marked as such.

So, is there a way to resume play on IGS after entering the scoring phase? And is there some unwritten rule that says you're awarded a loss if you don't accept scoring (it would be weird)?

Post subject: Re: Resume playing?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Shenoute wrote:
Both my opponent and I forgot to play a dame that would have forced him to connect.

If he had played there, he would not have been forced to connect? Or you would have captured some stones? (The latter, I guess. :))

Quote:
When entering the scoring phase the client counted one point for him there so I disagreed with the count (it was a close game so 1 point could be important). I tried to resume play but couldn't find how. Meanwhile, after maybe 20/30 seconds of me looking around, I was notified that I had lost the game. Apparently scoring was done without me agreeing to it and many dead stones were not marked as such.

So, is there a way to resume play on IGS after entering the scoring phase? And is there some unwritten rule that says you're awarded a loss if you don't accept scoring (it would be weird)?

I dunno about resuming play on IGS, but when the Japanese rules changed in 1989, with their weird seki rule, I just started filling all the dame at the end of the game. You can do so very quickly. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject: Re: Resume playing?
Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Bill Spight wrote:
If he had played there, he would not have been forced to connect? Or you would have captured some stones? (The latter, I guess. :))
I don't know, I would probably have played elsewhere. Taking advantage of a mistake in a fight or because the opponent does not see (or doesn't want to believe there is) a weakness in his territory when filling the dame is one thing, capturing stones just because he puts himself in self atari during the dame is another. Same as I never push through bamboo joints or play atari during the dame if I can avoid it, I don't want my opponent to think I'm waiting for his mistake, nor do I want him to forget to play it.

Quote:
I dunno about resuming play on IGS, but when the Japanese rules changed in 1989, with their weird seki rule, I just started filling all the dame at the end of the game. You can do so very quickly. :)
I always do (IRL or online) but forgot for once :blackeye:

This post by Shenoute was liked by: Bill Spight