It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review request (2k game)?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 59
Universal go server handle: mw42
Hello and thanks for looking. I received a lot of helpful feedback from the last game I posted so I was hoping for some more useful critiques. :)

In this game, I won by resignation, but only because my opponent misread a sequence starting with 148. Before that I think the game was relatively close.

I added a few of my own thoughts during the game.

Post subject: Re: Review request (2k game)?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:32 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
26: This move is inconsistent with move 24. With move 24, you played a pincer. It may be a perfectly reasonable move to do so. But, the very idea of a pincer - especially a 2-space pincer - is that you try to establish a presence on either side and he runs out between them. ( There are some 1-space pincers in which it seems more practical for the opponent to let you connect, but those are exceptions to the general theme )
Having committed yourself to two separate groups with 24, you turn around and make what appears to be an attempt at a connecting move with 26.

28: Walking into a hane at the head of two stones. A hane at the tail too, FWIW. This shape can't be good for you.

30: Note how strong his F6 stone is and how little your C9 stone does. The exchange of your move 26 at C9 for his move 27 at F6 is no good for you here. If you really want to play D6 - and it can be a fine move sometimes - just play it at move 24.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 60
GD Posts: 248
94 looks good but it is questionable - p6 kills the 7 p10 stones. Note this situation exists at the end of the game (making your opponents move 117 particularly silly.

It seems to me that he could still have beaten you when he resigned.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 am 
Lives in gote

Wow, can't believe I missed P6. I suppose that means :w92: was the mistake. The kosumi would have been better maybe. In any case, black's kosumi was sente for him and I needed to respond.

If I had played :w94: at P6 I wonder if my opponent would have responded.

Last edited by mw42 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:06 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
34: This is terribly optimistic and probably premature. If he had played 37 at E13, you might not have gotten a good result.
You don't need to invade. As a general rule, beginners choose invasion over reduction way too often. You could reduce with something like E14 or F13, and build your own moyo while reducing his.

40: You are preparing Q12 from across the board? Kudos for thinking large scale, but again, a reduction like O10 or P11 may be better.

42: This illustrates why reductions are often better. Invasions often lead to running fights that can cause problems for you elsewhere. Imagine if it were your stone at M14...

56: Ouch! You have allowed the fight that was triggered by your C12 invasion to destroy much of your potential up top, and you still have not saved your invading stones. In the future, think about reduction.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 am 
Lives in gote

Joaz, thanks for your comments. I didn't see :w34: as an invasion, but I suppose it is a bit behind enemy lines. I should be more careful.

:w40: was in anticipation of a running fight. I didn't want to risk getting the two groups separated so I connected strongly. Looking at the board now, it seems obvious I should have played a reducing move with :w42: that would threaten to build a large top. It would have worked much better with :w40:. Oops!