It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to compensate organisers mistake?
Post #21 Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:56 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 165
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: yakcyll
Pio2001 wrote:
Bantari wrote:
My problem is that both SOS and SOSOS scores are something beyond a player's control, and thus - imho - not suitable as a way to determine tie breaks.

I see it the opposite way : the strength of our opponents is something beyond our control, and it directly determines if we win or loose.
SOS and SOSOS help taking into account these factors that are "beyond our control", that are always there anyway.

I tend to agree with this as well. In a MacMahon tournament there's an inherent factor of randomness in play - pairing. You can never tell before the tournament begins how many people of what strength will ultimately be playing. As far as I understand, the system is meant to produce pairing that results in games: a) between opponents that are as close in strength as possible, b) that can select the strongest player playing in that particular tournament. If you want to have a podium, MacMahon is not well suited for that; however, for all the spots outside of that range (and outside of the top-bar group, really), SOS and SOSOS serve as a decent enough of a tie-breaker; however, I guess there it doesn't matter as much.

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to compensate organisers mistake?
Post #22 Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Pio2001 wrote:
Bantari wrote:
My problem is that both SOS and SOSOS scores are something beyond a player's control, and thus - imho - not suitable as a way to determine tie breaks.

I see it the opposite way : the strength of our opponents is something beyond our control, and it directly determines if we win or loose.

My thinking is: The final standing should be determined by comparing the quality of your play vs the quality of play of others. SOS/SOSOS, as in the example I gave, has nothing to do with the quality of your play. It might not have anything to do with the quality of play of people you are tied with neither.

I think what you mean to say is this: The strength of my opponent is beyond my control and directly determines if I win or lose THIS ONE GAME AGAINST THAT OPPONENT! And I agree with that - this is why I think that straight-up score should be absolutely taken into account to determine your final standing.

However, the outcome of a game in which you do not participate has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with the quality of your play - so it is not a good measure of it. And this is what SOS and SOSOS are - results of games in which you did not participate (and usually in which the person you are tied with did not participate.)

But this is just my opinion, and if you don't agree - so be it. I will not try to push the point any harder. Peace out! :salute: