It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stone Counting for scoring?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:16 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 0
I was wondering the very old Stone Counting method of scoring is good to use in a fun friends-family game of Go? It seems Area scoring is difficult for many people to grasp, myself included! I actually use the Kifu Snap App to score games with my kids. I think they will have more fun at the game using the Stone Counting Method. But will this hinder them when they get older and play at clubs or with others who use the Area scoring method?

Post subject: Re: Stone Counting for scoring?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:26 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
I guess it depends on where you are. In Europe, territory scoring is the most common way used in clubs.

But I don't think you need to worry much about it. Use the method that you are most comfortable with to teach. If that's stone counting, do that.

This post by gennan was liked by: erocktattoo

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:16 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 0
Thank you, sir!

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:34 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
If you mean stone SCORING,

the strategic difference is the group tax. Otherwise, the game is essentially the same. Therefore, there is no objection for family use.

If you mean stone COUNTING,

familiarise yourself with the stone counting methods and choose one:

Stone counting for area scoring:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/int.html#Counting
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/int.html#SpecialCommentsTR

Prisoner-counting for stone-scoring:
https://senseis.xmp.net/?PrisonerCounti ... oneScoring

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by 2 people: erocktattoo, Gomoto

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:29 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Hi,
I regularly play with beginners (30 to 25 kyu). I teach them area scoring. It's something that's easy for me to understand and explain: the number of points is the size of "what you own" on the board, plus 7.5 points for White.

Later I introduce territory scoring, because everyone counts like this (except maybe in China), so I think that it is good that they see it, so that they are not confused if they play with someone else. But I find territory counting a bit difficult to explain to beginners, especially because when I'm playing with them, I usually pass a lot of times at the end.
So I just show them how to do, without explaining the details.

Stone scoring is a good idea for novice players. If they play slowly, you may try playing on a 7x7 board.

Novice players can't count the territory score by themselves, because it is necessary to assess what's alive and what's dead before counting. That's a good reason to use area or stones at home, so that people can play some games even if you are not there to help them. Their game may look nonsensical for us, but at least, they can find a winner just by counting what's on the board.

erocktattoo wrote:
I actually use the Kifu Snap App to score games with my kids. I think they will have more fun at the game using the Stone Counting Method.

If Kifu Snap can give them the stone score, it is ok.
If not, or if they want to practice with Crazy Stone, it is better to use area scoring than stone scoring, and tell them to set Crazy Stone on Chinese rule, otherwise, they might not understand why the score given by the soft (area + komi) is different from the score they see on the board (stones).
I don't remember how Igowin counts the score.

This post by Pio2001 was liked by: erocktattoo