All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Komaster concept for hypothetical play
Post #41 Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 45
Bill Spight wrote:
moha wrote:
BTW, I think the ruling of these connected moonshine positions is not completely clear, in particular, Japanese and Korean may differ here.
Can you say more about that? I saw an English translation online of the Korean rules of several years ago, which I could not understand. The Korean rules have changed since then, but in working on applying the komaster concept, what I recalled of those rules started to make sense. :)
I'm pretty sure I have seen less than you about them, but from the bits of information here and there my vague understanding was that they follow different principles: Korean is about spatial localization (a la Pauli), Japanese is more about ko behaviour. For example, see dia 19 from the version linked on this forum. That may not be about L/D, but the idea of a draw because B repeating would not make sense if he could kill in analysis.

Quote:
moha wrote:
However, as I wrote this feels like losing part of the potential advantages of the approach. It would be most attractive if having verified as "komaster" would be the very condition of altered ko rules in later hypothetical play. Having both special ko rules AND komaster concept seems a bit redundant in practice (however significant it may be theoretically).
The idea of komaster is to abstract away the ko threat situation. If you apply it to multiple kos at the same time, the komaster is too strong, unrealistically so. That would allow the komaster to win a double ko seki, for instance.
That depends on the exact interpretation of komaster. In a double ko seki, neither player can or intend to win/resolve a ko (with normal play, regardless of threats), so would you really call either komaster?

Although not the same concept, in similar positions there is often a difference: only one side can potentially win a ko, the other only tries to avoid losing it (and/or "only one side can repeat"). I think this behavioral approach is a bit more robust than its alternative.