It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: A beginner's journal of little interest
Post #21 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:38 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Celebrir wrote:
Maybe you should do some tsumegos at goproblems.com . They helped me a lot when I was DDK.

Any advice on what level to be doing or method? I was just doing a search for random 30-20kyu problems and solving. Or should I be doing the time trials?

Post #22 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 14
KGS: 1.Dan
OGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: Celebrir
I did a mix of time trials and searched problems. About the level: Just choose the level where you feel you can do ~70% of the problems. About the method: Think first, play then. If you get a "wrong" the first time, count it as failed, but continue to find the solution.

Post #23 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:14 pm 
Oza

Thanks. I'll try and combine it with 321go and a few books I think.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:42 pm 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
I see you played as 17 kyu. This game was too easy for you. You were not really challenged. Yes, you lost it, but only through oversights that you already knew better than to make. Play up to yourself. :)

Actually, I forgot that I had this one. Here's a game from the same evening as before where I most certainly was challenged. Challenged far beyond my ability to cope. A 22k? who used to be a 4k player a few years back (or so they said, they may have been trying to make me feel better! Either way I was completely outplayed.) So against a stronger player and a 4 stone handicap which I have some trouble with anyway. I can't think of a better example other than some of my teaching games with SDKs where I was this challenged. I can make excuses like not being on form but really this was a massacre. :D

There's a few blunders that I can spot but overall I just don't have a sufficient grasp of go strategy and tactics to deal with this situation or analyse all my mistakes here. Very much one of those, the opponent was constantly one move ahead of me style games.

Note: I am not accusing this player of sandbagging as their game list shows only wins and their rank should adjust very quickly to where it should be and as such while they might have entered at too high a kyu they don't appear to be gaming the system, quite the opposite in fact.

Attachments:
Boidhre-thoma.sgf [2.35 KiB]
Downloaded 822 times

Post #25 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:55 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Yes, I doubt if this player was anywhere near 22 kyu strength. So, yes, you had a challenge. :) But you did not rise to the challenge.

You make the tactical mistakes of any beginner. But you have a feel for the game. When you play DDKs you get the big territorial points, both in the opening and the end game. That means that your strength is the same as players who have much better tactics than you. Once you learn some tactics you will advance a lot.

One thing you need to learn, which should actually be pretty easy, is how to prevent territory and take it away. Most of the game is about preventing territory. Look at it this way. In a game you play around 120 stones and make around 60 points of territory. That is an average of around 1/2 point of territory per move. But plays do not get that small until near the end. The average play gains around 7 points (komi). So why does that territory not show up on the board? Because the players fight for territory. Sometimes they play you take yours and I'll take mine, but mostly they play to thwart each other's intentions, to threaten stones and to invade and reduce.

Now, with your feel for the game you should be able to look at the board from your opponent's point of view and see where he threatens to make territory. Then you can play to counter that. The problem, of course, is that when you do that it is not always clear how not to get killed. ;) One thing you need to learn is how to get killed, that is, how to sacrifice.

When I was starting out I lost at least two groups per game. How many groups do you lose? ;)

Some comments that may be useful. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #26 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 pm 
Oza

Thanks Bill, I do genuinely feel like I've the tactical skill of a 25+k player. I guess the only way forward is to grind out tsumego until things start improving? Or do you mean something more than that by tactics?

A game from tonight where I focused more on disrupting territory (from before I read your post):

I played very fast (for me), I figure I need to grind out a lot of fast games to try and improve my tactical instincts rather than playing only slow games which I've pretty much been doing up to now. I made a complete mess of the top right corner, otherwise it'd have been an easy win. I'm curious if this style of play is more towards what you're encouraging? (I'm not expecting any detailed comments as it was played at near blitz speed by me)

Attachments:
dongphuong-Boidhre.sgf [6.29 KiB]
Downloaded 819 times

Post #27 Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:16 am 
Honinbo

A few comments. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 am 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
A few comments. :)

Perfect, thanks. :)

Post #29 Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:34 am 
Oza

I've been playing quite badly lately. Not sure if it's my concentration or something else but I feel utterly lost and overwhelmed by the game at present. This game I lost by making a very ill-judged probe into the left , not immediately filling an "elephant's eye" when I spotted it and not attacking 3 stones I'd isolated at the top during the opening/early middlegame. I'm also not sure I got enough of a return for helping him build that wall at the bottom. And probably a whole host of other mistakes in tactics and strategy that I fail to spot with my current ability. Anyway, I welcome any criticism of my play here especially of the opening where I felt I lost this one.

Edit: Oh and he was 10k? not 10k. Just because it's not obvious on the viewer.

Attachments:
bentw-Boidhre-2.sgf [6.23 KiB]
Downloaded 797 times

Post subject:
Post #30 Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:51 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Boidhre,
Boidhre wrote:
I've been playing quite badly lately. Not sure if it's my concentration or something else...
The something else -- Basics (fundamentals):

Post #31 Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:42 am 
Oza

Perfect, thanks EdLee! Exactly the kind of analysis that I was looking for.

Post subject:
Post #32 Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:28 pm 
Honinbo

Hi Boidhre, you're welcome -- I added a few more notes, especially pay attention to why :b92: was very bad. All basics. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Boidhre

Post #33 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16 am 
Oza

Another close game versus mus. Tried to spot errors here as best I could and included them as comments. Overall, I think I played too passively and missed opportunities to invade and disrupt territory.

Edit: Oh and I should say what I've been reading/studying: I'm reading concurrently "Opening Theory Made Easy" and "In the Beginning." I'm finding both fascinating, I'm not sure how much strength I can gain from them at my current level but I'm enjoying reading them which is what mostly matters to me. Keeping the game interesting >> being absolutely as efficient as possible with my time. I'm also working through tsumego at the moment trying for a half hour per day but not disappointed with 15 minutes. I find solving them enjoyable so this isn't a chore for me thankfully. Almost all my games except for custom ones are 10 minutes a side at the moment. It allows me to get more games done and less time spent. My games with mus have very long time limits but that's due to his internet connection not being the best at times.

Attachments:
mus-Boidhre.sgf [4.65 KiB]
Downloaded 720 times

Post subject:
Post #34 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:01 am 
Honinbo

Hi Boidhre,
Still the same basics: Broken shapes (Fractured shapes).
Go back and study :b92: in your game with bentw; more examples in this game:

This post by EdLee was liked by: Boidhre

Post #35 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:13 am 
Honinbo

This opponent is not letting you get so many big plays. :)

Points of focus:

1) Note the different nets. :)

2) Keep your opponent's weak groups separated.

3) Avoid tunnel vision. You missed some big plays because of that.

4) Take care at the end of the game. You still leave plays unplayed. Also, there can be big plays lurking then because of lack of liberties. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: Boidhre, cyclops

Post #36 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:49 am 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
This opponent is not letting you get so many big plays. :)

Yeah, he's a good training partner for me and indulges me in this! :)

Post subject:
Post #37 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
Honinbo

Bill, thanks for the ideas in the opening. :)

Post #38 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:24 pm 
Honinbo

De nada. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #39 Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:48 pm 
Oza

Nearly finished reading "In the Beginning." I'm finding it fascinating. I'm going to finish "Opening Theory made Easy" next and start on the theory parts of "Tesuji." All will need a lot of rereading, but I'm going to order a few more books anyway to keep things varied, because, well I enjoy reading them and implementing ideas from them makes the game more interesting for me. So I need to throw in a good few books to make the shipping worth it, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've a few ideas for problem books: "1001 Life and Death Problems" definitely. Some areas that interest me at the moment: shape, invasion and thickness.

My current routine is:

30 minutes of tsumego a day using Go Grinder (I've been swayed by Bill and oren on this one!).
30 minutes of reading something go related (be it book, Sensei's Library or whatever).
Fitting in turns on DGS into whatever free time I have. Occasionally playing games on KGS but I'm not hugely pressed about doing that at the moment, it's hard to find an hour free at a good time for finding opponents my level with two young kids while I can fit in turns while I'm minding the kids with DGS. My son will even sit down and discuss the game with me which is fun. :)

I'm enjoying doing all three things at the moment.

Post #40 Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:18 pm 
Oza

My sleep's been very messed up so my play here was quite uneven and my level of analysis with each move was uneven too but I think I'm improving some bit, or at least not getting any worse, even though there were at least three large blunders and several bad moves that I can spot here and have noted. I'm enjoying the turn based format which meshes well with how busy I am at the moment. This game was played pretty quickly over two and a bit days. My opening was dire but I managed to disrupt enough territory to make it a fairly close enough game up until the last 20 moves where I strung together a couple of blunders and that was that. The main thing I'm curious about is how to reduce the right, the way I went about it left me in a poor position. I think it would have been a very close game had I not played the ko in the centre.

For reference: Aids used in the game were simple joseki references (i.e. Sensei's Library) and an analysis board (i.e. Smartgo used only as a sgf editor) for working out variations when things got complicated and playing around with potential variations, ideas and similar which I found fun.

Overall, a very enjoyable game and I'm playing another one with the same opponent again as we seem to play at a similar pace to one another.

Since I'm being upfront about this not being me at my best so I understand completely if people don't want to review this one. :)

Attachments:
Boidhre-James_UK Game 1.sgf [2.17 KiB]
Downloaded 675 times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next