Post subject: Hello from Alaska!
Post #1 Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:28 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 129
Was liked: 27
Universal go server handle: Applebaps
Online playing schedule: Evenings M-F UTC-9, Saturday mornings
Hello everyone! Nice to meet you!

I'm Applebaps, Apples, or Jo (or Jo Anne). I'm 35 years old, and I live in Alaska. Been putting stones on a goban in one way or another for about 10 years, but I only recently (early 2018) became more serious about the game. I'm aiming for SDK to start.

I don't know 100% for sure, but I'd estimate my overall strength at about 18-15kyu. Still solidifying my rank on KGS so I can get a better idea. Definitely DDK, and definitely higher than 20k, but beyond that I'm not sure. I'm one of the co-founders of our local go club, and we've been talking about becoming an official AGA chapter, so if we have tournaments eventually, I can find out that way as well.

I have a soft spot for Honinbou Shuusaku, though I also enjoy the style and videos of Lee Ha-Jin (Haylee). So, pretty surface overall, haha. But I just really enjoy classic, simple, honest and well-rounded play. I practice sometimes on 9x9 or 13x13, especially when I'm teaching beginners (which I love to do, especially adult beginners), but I don't like blitz or messy fighting very much. Mostly I just like to play even 19x19 games, even against much stronger opponents, so I can learn more and have fun in the "regular" game without odd permutations. My friend Charles (1kyu) says I'm too nice on the board, haha.

I try to learn from the best, which in 2019 means I play against and try to learn from Leela Zero as much as is possible. She's kind of my idol / goal. It's my hope that humanity will learn from AI and transcend our "first hill" to start climbing the real mountain, to make Go more and more beautiful.

Outside the board, I got married to my best friend about 2 and a half years ago, and we have 2 cats together. I work as a financial technician (glorified cashier / entry-level accountancy clerk) at the University of Alaska.

Looking forward to talking and playing with you all!

Last edited by Applebaps on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Applebaps was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, jlt

Post subject: Re: Hello from Alaska!
Post #2 Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:00 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Welcome, Applebaps!

Good to hear you are spreading the word about go up there.

My wife and I were up there about 3 years ago on a tour. Unfortunately, it was this time of year. We were on the last bus to Denali, but the trip got cut short by several miles because of the weather. :(

I wouldn't worry about rank at your level. With one good insight you can go up 2-3 stones in a matter of days. :)

Good luck!

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: Applebaps, Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Hello from Alaska!
Post #3 Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:26 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 129
Was liked: 27
Universal go server handle: Applebaps
Online playing schedule: Evenings M-F UTC-9, Saturday mornings
Thanks, Bill!

Yeah, Denali can be tricky like that. How far up the road you can get varies a lot with the weather. I'm sure you'll have another chance in the future though!

re: rank - Definitely. I've been getting stronger by leaps and bounds recently, which feels really good. It's hard work, but the payoff is sweet. That said, I'm not too fixated on the number. Good advice!

This post by Applebaps was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:30 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Welcome. :)
Quote:
Joseki (n): when Jo lives in seki.
:tmbup:

This post by EdLee was liked by 3 people: Applebaps, Bill Spight, Bonobo