It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review of "Go! More than a Game"
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:48 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
This was my first go book. It was recommended to me by the middle school teacher who ran our go club (a middle school club in the US - uncommon but real). I read most of it in 8th grade, but came back to it when I picked up go again in college.

Unlike most beginners books this one takes the time to fully cover the history and cultural impact of go. I've always enjoyed learning history so this book was great for me. Covering everything from ancient legends to the ear-reddening game to modern computer go, I came away from this book with a great knowledge of what the game of go means. (About 30-40% of the book is strictly the history and culture of go)

When it comes to learning how to play go, there are probably better books. The book's flow in teaching is 9x9 to 13x13 to 19x19 games, but this is not necessarily the best way to teach go as the three board sizes have very different openings and playstyles. It does also have chapters covering game concepts - the chapter on shape is particularly good - but a lot of the learning comes from the game reviews: two professional 9x9 games and amateur 13x13 and 19x19 games. Only one 19x19 game is reviewed and Shotwell takes the time to discuss some larger strategy topics, but manages to keep the review to the basics. Again, complete game reviews are probably not the best way for true beginners to learn as it leaves a lot of questions, but it is nice for new players to see what full games look like.

On the whole, I enjoyed this book. I was able to learn some nice beginner moves (like the clamp) and also got a wealth of knowledge about go. If you want to learn more than just how to play go, I would recommend this book. On the other hand, if you don't care to learn about go beyond the board then this book is probably not for you.

Even if you've already read a beginner book, but you also want to learn go history, this book would still be decent for players up to about 20 kyu, but a strict go history book would probably be better for higher level players as the game concepts covered are meant for beginners.

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

This post by moyoaji was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, daal, rhubarb

Post subject: Re: Review of "Go! More than a Game"
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
TOC and errata: http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoMoreThanAGame

By: Peter Shotwell
Publisher: Tuttle Publishing, 2003
ISBN10 0-8048-3475-X
ISBN13 978-0-8048-3475-9
188 pp.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:13 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 800
I also recommend Shotwell's book for beginners. I found it far more straightforward and useful than the book that is most often recommended (Iwamoto's Go For Beginners), which I read before the Shotwell book. Yet no one seems to mention Go! More Than a Game. Unfortunate, because it is well worth the price. It is gentle introduction to what to look for, with some Go history thrown in. It definitely whetted my appetite to move onwards with my Go self-education.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
moyoaji wrote:
This was my first go book. It was recommended to me by the middle school teacher who ran our go club (a middle school club in the US - uncommon but real). I read most of it in 8th grade, but came back to it when I picked up go again in college.

Unlike most beginners books this one takes the time to fully cover the history and cultural impact of go. I've always enjoyed learning history so this book was great for me. Covering everything from ancient legends to the ear-reddening game to modern computer go, I came away from this book with a great knowledge of what the game of go means. (About 30-40% of the book is strictly the history and culture of go)

When it comes to learning how to play go, there are probably better books. The book's flow in teaching is 9x9 to 13x13 to 19x19 games, but this is not necessarily the best way to teach go as the three board sizes have very different openings and playstyles. It does also have chapters covering game concepts - the chapter on shape is particularly good - but a lot of the learning comes from the game reviews: two professional 9x9 games and amateur 13x13 and 19x19 games. Only one 19x19 game is reviewed and Shotwell takes the time to discuss some larger strategy topics, but manages to keep the review to the basics. Again, complete game reviews are probably not the best way for true beginners to learn as it leaves a lot of questions, but it is nice for new players to see what full games look like.

On the whole, I enjoyed this book. I was able to learn some nice beginner moves (like the clamp) and also got a wealth of knowledge about go. If you want to learn more than just how to play go, I would recommend this book. On the other hand, if you don't care to learn about go beyond the board then this book is probably not for you.

Even if you've already read a beginner book, but you also want to learn go history, this book would still be decent for players up to about 20 kyu, but a strict go history book would probably be better for higher level players as the game concepts covered are meant for beginners.

Oh, do you have by chance the name and date of those Pro 9x9 games? I want to check if I have them in my 9x9 vault :)

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:03 pm 
Dies in gote

1. Japanese 2002 Women's 9 x 9 NHK Championship (played on TV with fast time limits). Black = Kato Tomoko (5P) White = Kobayashi Izumi (5P) komi = 6 1/2.
2. Same tournament, semi-final game. Black = Kobayashi Izumi (5P) White = Aoki Kikuyo (8D)

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:00 pm 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Gohst wrote:
1. Japanese 2002 Women's 9 x 9 NHK Championship (played on TV with fast time limits). Black = Kato Tomoko (5P) White = Kobayashi Izumi (5P) komi = 6 1/2.
2. Same tournament, semi-final game. Black = Kobayashi Izumi (5P) White = Aoki Kikuyo (8D)

Thanks a bunch! Indeed, I have both already. There's not much new under the pro-9x9-sun :(

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 pm 
Dies in gote

Yeah. I'm not at the point of studying pro games just yet. To find 9 x 9 games for my library, I find bots up on KGS, or another site, that are set up for 9 x 9 games, and then try to locate strong players who tend to play those bots as a pastime. When I do, I archive their games. This is still difficult to do, and it is rare to get two sides who have strong play, when one is a bot. At my level, though, it is still sufficient....

Best of luck finding other 9 x 9 games to study.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:20 am 
Gosei

Gohst wrote:
Yeah. I'm not at the point of studying pro games just yet. To find 9 x 9 games for my library, I find bots up on KGS, or another site, that are set up for 9 x 9 games, and then try to locate strong players who tend to play those bots as a pastime. When I do, I archive their games. This is still difficult to do, and it is rare to get two sides who have strong play, when one is a bot. At my level, though, it is still sufficient....

Best of luck finding other 9 x 9 games to study.

There's a dan player who only seems to play 9x9 on KGS, bogvictor IIRC. I have also scraped dan-vs-strong-kyu games from OGS and DGS to enlarge my collection.