It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Kaya Beta still costs money
Post #1 Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
I thought Kaya Beta was supposed to be open for everyone.

However, trying to register today it seems that the only way to get an account is to pay money.

I think it is sad that Kaya reneged on its free policy.

Post subject: Re: Kaya Beta still costs money
Post #2 Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:49 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
it's not yet an open beta, they are in a closed beta stage. 200 free accounts were open last week, I had one.
It was so laggy that it's good they didn't open completely right now. It's really nice and shiny, but they still have some work to do before being able to open it I think.

But you can't say they changed their mind about the free policy. At least not yet ;-)

Post #3 Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 3
Universal go server handle: Fizyx
Like lorill said, there were a limited number of free accounts released last week, since the Gabriel and Patricio wanted to test the server stability with the sudden influx of new accounts, not just kill it. They've also said that, as the server becomes more stable, and they optimize its performance, that they are likely to add more free beta accounts. Also, with the first beta update on Friday, the server was running significantly more smoothly, so it may be (PURE SPECULATION!) that more accounts will be open soon. :)

This post by Fizyx was liked by: Kaya.gs

Post #4 Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 12
OGS: X1117
Kaya handle: Xatu
Hey, I just met you
And this is crazy
But here's my money
So release maybe?

This post by Xa17u was liked by: Fizyx

Post #5 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
lorill wrote:
it's not yet an open beta, they are in a closed beta stage. 200 free accounts were open last week, I had one.
It was so laggy that it's good they didn't open completely right now. It's really nice and shiny, but they still have some work to do before being able to open it I think.

But you can't say they changed their mind about the free policy. At least not yet ;-)

Ok, that's cool, but when you go to the beta login, the only place to register demands money for an account. There is no information presented about only 200 accounts or that they are all gone. Even the front page only has a link to beta sign in. It's quite confusing when a friend calls you about free beta but it is not and there is no other information.

This post by badukJr was liked by: ez4u

Post #6 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
You can find the information at their blog at http://kayags.blogspot.com/

Post #7 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
or you could have read either of the threads here about the beta.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:19 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 35
Was liked: 18
speedchase wrote:
or you could have read either of the threads here about the beta.

Which were hidden inside other unrelated threads... :grumpy:

Post #9 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:26 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
badukJr wrote:
lorill wrote:

Ok, that's cool, but when you go to the beta login, the only place to register demands money for an account. There is no information presented about only 200 accounts or that they are all gone. Even the front page only has a link to beta sign in. It's quite confusing when a friend calls you about free beta but it is not and there is no other information.

I think this criticism is valid and helpful. The current status and options are not explained clearly enough for people starting at the server login. This should be improved. The portal should not be designed assuming that everyone arriving at beta.kaya.gs is familiar with L19, the project (hence the blog), etc. It should be informative and simple enough that a Go player coming from anywhere, with minimal knowledge of the project, can sort it out.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:36 pm 
Lives in sente

sefo wrote:

what part of the thread title "Preperations for Beta" would make you think that that thread is unrelated to the Beta?

@ez4u

If they haven't stumbled across L19 or the blog how would they know about the server at all?

Post #11 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:23 pm 
Oza

speedchase wrote:
sefo wrote:

what part of the thread title "Preperations for Beta" would make you think that that thread is unrelated to the Beta?

@ez4u

If they haven't stumbled across L19 or the blog how would they know about the server at all?

Through friends, Facebook, other game forums, almost any way. The point is that relying on unlinked information is unnecessary and poor design for a web site.

This post by ez4u was liked by: quantumf

Post #12 Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:41 pm 
Dies in gote

speedchase wrote:
sefo wrote:

Specifically? "Preparation".
It also seems that you haven't read the thread yourself. I'll resume it for you:

First page:
kaya.gs: "We thought we would start beta this week but we're changing the design so it will take more time. We have no idea when it will be released to the public."

(Reading this, a random visitor will think: "This is not the thread I'm looking for. They don't talk about how to register a free account and beta is not even launched. I'll check somewhere else")

other users with a non-free account: "There's a problem here, there's a probleme there. Is kaya compatible with X and Y?"

(Still completely unrelated to kaya beta accounts)

Second page:
Random user: "It looks like it's possible to register"

(wonderful. Where? how? Maybe I should have put this unrelated thread in my favorites and check everyday to see someone could register. Thanks for the official announcement)

Now to find some official release info we need to go to a rant post "Boy, kaya is taking a long time..."

Somewhere in the middle of the first page:
"Maybe we will announce the opening of beta, some time this week"

A little lower:
"Meanwhile you can take a look at candy.php to see how you can get a non-free account."

Lower still we finally discover there is a blog on blogspot (that excludes everyone from China) saying it will be open on a precise date.

Pheeew... that was well hidden.

So yeah, speedchase, to read about the extremely short, unannounced, limited and very localized free beta registration, you need to spend a lot of time inspecting every single unrelated thread in these forums.

Put the announcements on the main kaya.gs page for Christ's sake.

Post #13 Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:24 am 
Oza

There is no link to the main page on the beta login. The point of the beta is not to explain why problems are not so serious. Rather it is to flush out problems and fix them. :blackeye:

Post #14 Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:26 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 12
OGS: X1117
Kaya handle: Xatu

Post #15 Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:16 am 
Dies in gote

The question is: What is a supporter blog?

I haven't bought an alpha account, so I'm defenitely not a supporter. (an blogspot is inaccessible for me so I cannot check what's in there)

The other question is: Why a blogspot blog when they already have a domain name?

Information should be available when I open kaya. Not by asking on a forum or digging somewhere.

If it's not available, then you cannot blame people like the OP who don't understand what's going on.

Personally I knew 200 accounts were going to be released on the 3rd and I was there first hour in the morning and couldn't even register.

Post #16 Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:33 am 
Oza

sefo wrote:
The question is: What is a supporter blog?

I haven't bought an alpha account, so I'm defenitely not a supporter. (an blogspot is inaccessible for me so I cannot check what's in there)

The other question is: Why a blogspot blog when they already have a domain name?

Information should be available when I open kaya. Not by asking on a forum or digging somewhere.

If it's not available, then you cannot blame people like the OP who don't understand what's going on.

Personally I knew 200 accounts were going to be released on the 3rd and I was there first hour in the morning and couldn't even register.

I AM a supporter (put my not-so-great-amount of money down, etc.). My interest for the beta is, what can disappointed users tell us about their experience that will help make it better? That's it. End of story.

Post #17 Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 15
Things that cost money should be plainly indicated. Up front. Not with hints, clues, and buried information. It's a simple matter of integrity. The absence of forthrightness equates to evasion and duplicity.

Post #18 Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:58 am 
Lives in sente

sefo wrote:
It also seems that you haven't read the thread yourself.

I laughed, read the last three posts please.

Mark did you read this thread or just the OP?

Post #19 Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 15
speedchase wrote:
Mark did you read this thread or just the OP?

Regrettably, I bore witness to the exhaustive tapdancing extravaganza, featuring Xa17u.

This post by MarkSteere was liked by: Xa17u

Post #20 Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:26 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Kind of off topic, but I like kaya, except that nobody is ever on when I login. I wish more games were happening. I look forward to seeing more people when it's open for free. Maybe I'll log in more when that happens.

Until then, I'll probably just login occasionally.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next