Post subject: Re: Lag City
Post #21 Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:21 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
5 Seconds (if it were to exist) would have very significant effects if timer keeps running.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 78
KGS: Dexmorgan
Wbaduk: c0nanbatt
There is no lag.

Mark had an opponent that was taking a few seconds before playing his moves. Mark himself could later open a sandbox and check that there wasnt any perceived lag.

Beta 1.2 was extremely stable and people that have been on the server since 1.0 have witnessed first hand the benefits of doing the spaced releases we have done.
Its working as stable and as fast as ever.

There is another account release in 10 hours, anyone without an account can register and check it out immediately!

This post by Kaya.gs was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, illluck, shapenaji

Post #23 Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:10 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 10
KGS: Coyote
DGS: Coyote
I was late on KGS so I don't know if I missed you Mark. If so, I am sorry. I won't be online for a couple of days but if you're interested, PM me and we'll arrange something for this weekend.

Post #24 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:48 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 16
KGS: danielm
MarkSteere wrote:
Redundant wrote:
Complaining about lag during a stress test beta completely misunderstands the point of the beta.

Au contraire. This is precisely the time to complain. I tried to put in a tweaki by clicking the feedback button on the tweaki page. It didn't show up though. So, hopefully they'll read this.

Lag is something serious. It's caused by a bottleneck and can be extremely difficult to fix. There's really no time like the present to complain about something potentially disastrous like excessive lag, which only tends to grow with increased server load. There's no feature more important than the foundation.

Lag always depends on server resources, there is no server software which always lags or never lags. The question is only, how many concurrent users can a server support per hardware unit and how well does it scale. Without knowing how many server resources are being allocated, it is impossible to make a qualitative statement on the software architecture.

It makes sense for Kaya to keep server resources low in the beginning, both to save money and to stress test the software as Redundant pointed out. It may be the time to give feedback, but hardly the time to "complain".

Post #25 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:22 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Just for those wanting to reply to MarkSteere: Last time I read him on Kaya (I think) he said he was apparently banned from L19, so he probably won’t be able to read you here. This is a bit sad because the last communications with him on Kaya had definitely improved, he’d behaved quite courteous (compared to what had happened before, IMHO). People can change, so I believe.

This post by Bonobo was liked by: Aeneas

Post #26 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:35 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 12
OGS: X1117
Kaya handle: Xatu

Post #27 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:46 am 
Oza

Video sadly blocked in Germany, and ProxTube currently doesn’t seem to work for me :-(

Post #28 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Bonobo wrote:
Just for those wanting to reply to MarkSteere: Last time I read him on Kaya (I think) he said he was apparently banned from L19, so he probably won’t be able to read you here. This is a bit sad because the last communications with him on Kaya had definitely improved, he’d behaved quite courteous (compared to what had happened before, IMHO). People can change, so I believe.

Really? Anybody knows the reasons for that?

He was a little grumpy, but nothing like some people I have seen here before.... over ratings or escapers or KGS admins or whatever.
I've seen much better/worse trolls here as well, I think.

Post #29 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Bantari wrote:
Bonobo wrote:

He was a little grumpy, but nothing like some people I have seen here before.... over ratings or escapers or KGS admins or whatever.

Precognition by Joaz? :lol:

Check rec.games.go

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: Bonobo

Post #30 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 am 
Gosei

HermanHiddema wrote:
Bantari wrote:
Bonobo wrote:

Precognition by Joaz? :lol:

Check rec.games.go

I did....
But then - we are back to what we had way back when with IGS - people getting banned for what they do off the service.

rgg and L19 are two different animals and the rules of conduct can be viewed as different on both.
And so one should not be judged on L19 for what one says on rgg.

Just my 2 cents.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 am 
Gosei

Bantari wrote:
I did....
But then - we are back to what we had way back when with IGS - people getting banned for what they do off the service.

rgg and L19 are two different animals and the rules of conduct can be viewed as different on both.
And so one should not be judged on L19 for what one says on rgg.

Just my 2 cents.

What he said on rgg was not why he was banned. That was said after the ban.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: Bonobo

Post #32 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
My view from the cheap seats is that the guy has some gripes about Kaya - not all illegitimate, and first he gets a thread locked because one mod can see into the future, another gets locked for going off topic, then a mod provokes the guy by ridiculing his game, and then the first one comes back and bans him.

Either there's more than meets the eye, or parts of the L19 moderation feel that it's best to err on the side of being obtrusive instead of staying out of the way. Can't say that I like it.

Edits: Link added, another link edited because the mod moved his own post.

Another edit: Now the mod has deleted his own post in which he had made fun of Redstone. As they say: Sometimes less is more.

Last edited by daal on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:54 am 
Gosei

The gripe that Mark has with Kaya was, as far as I can see, based entirely on the fact that they politely refused to implement the go variant he had designed before he had some player base for it.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: Xa17u

Post #34 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:05 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
daal wrote:
My view from the cheap seats is that the guy has some gripes about Kaya - not all illegitimate, and first he gets a thread locked because one mod can see into the future, then another mod provokes the guy by ridiculing his game, and then the first one comes back and bans him.

Either there's more than meets the eye, or parts of the L19 moderation feel that it's best to err on the side of being obtrusive instead of staying out of the way. Can't say that I like it.

I don't think any of his gripes with kaya are in any way legitimate, but that really isn't important.
The important part is the consistent trollish manner in which he stated any opinion. I don't know if he really should have been banned, but he broke the TOS enough times that I don't really see it as an issue.
The thread that got locked "because one mod can see into the future" was clearly a troll thread.
The case where you claim someone provokes him, I can't find, but IIRC he started the entire argument by insinuating that he is a more valuable member of the community than others because he invented games.
Either way, he was trolling excessively and weather or not you think the timing for banning him was good, he had it coming.

This post by speedchase was liked by 2 people: Boidhre, Bonobo

Post #35 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:13 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
[admin]
He actually has not been banned yet, despite comments to the contrary. He was placed on approval, IOW all of his posts are held until a mod approves them, then they appear on the forums.
And, no, nobody is judged by what they say in other forums.
[/admin]

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 3 people: Boidhre, Bonobo, illluck

Post #36 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:23 am 
Gosei

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
[admin]
He actually has not been banned yet, despite comments to the contrary. He was placed on approval, IOW all of his posts are held until a mod approves them, then they appear on the forums.
And, no, nobody is judged by what they say in other forums.
[/admin]

Cool, thanks. I like this solution for troublemakers. ;)

Post #37 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 am 
Oza

Just be glad you didn’t get to read the recent, highly offensive post by “new” L19 member newguy which, thankfully, seems to have been removed.

Post #38 Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
He actually has not been banned yet, despite comments to the contrary. 

Comment to the contrary: When I log in as MarkSteere, the board index page is blank. There is only the statement "This board has no forums," followed by the Who is online section, etc.  How am I supposed to submit a post when the forums are totally inaccessible, genius?

Post #39 Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:04 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 15
Getting back to the topic, I was wrong. There's no lag.

I had played an unrated game, I was losing horribly, my opponent informed me that I was playing without direction, and I offered to resign, which offer was readily accepted. Before resigning though, I said I wanted to test for lag, and asked if he would make moves as fast as possible, which he agreed to do. I laid down stones in a straight line, and he moved in what seemed to me like a random pattern. Later I found out that the guy was still making sensible moves, taking a few seconds to think. I retested it with BadukBlood, both of us moving in straight lines and this time there was no lag.

I like Kaya. After I read some tutorials, I'll probably use Kaya as my server. I'm not grudged out about Redstone being rejected. I've talked to a lot of site owners about a lot of my games over the past twenty years, and usually the answer is no, without the slightest animosity either way. In rare cases there has been rejection combined with denigration - something I take issue with, but there's been enough said about that in other forums. At this point in time I hold no grudges.

This post by MarkSteere was liked by 3 people: dmf, palapiku, Phelan