It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do you enjoy your job?
Post #21 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
kirkmc wrote:
entropi wrote:
I don't enjoy working because I am lazy. To be honest, I don't hate my job but I cannot really say I like it either. But it's still fine because I have always believed that job should not necessarily be something enjoyable. I just do it for living.

That's too bad. Why should't a job be enjoyable? For the past 25 years - since I moved to France - I've had a number of jobs, changing every 5-10 years, and I've never been in a situation when I would wake up in the morning and not want to go to work.

I like to separare things. Job can be enjoyable in which case you are lucky. But if it is not really enjoyable even though you sill have to do it for living, then you have two options:
Either you try to convince yourself that it is not that bad and pretend to enjoy it; or you simply accept the fact that your job is part of your life that allows you to do enjoyable things (but is itself not enjoyable).

Unless it is a real torture, a job does not need to be fun for me, like homeworks at school. I don't remember the school times very much in detail but I don't think I have ever done a homework with a bigger enthusiasm than for playing outside with friends. Now it's similar, I never experience a weekend morning where I wish I would go to work :)

Post #22 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 8
KGS: Sujisan 12 kyu
OGS: Sujisan 13 kyu
entropi wrote:
kirkmc wrote:
entropi wrote:
I don't enjoy working because I am lazy. To be honest, I don't hate my job but I cannot really say I like it either. But it's still fine because I have always believed that job should not necessarily be something enjoyable. I just do it for living.

That's too bad. Why should't a job be enjoyable? For the past 25 years - since I moved to France - I've had a number of jobs, changing every 5-10 years, and I've never been in a situation when I would wake up in the morning and not want to go to work.

I like to separare things. Job can be enjoyable in which case you are lucky. But if it is not really enjoyable even though you sill have to do it for living, then you have two options:
Either you try to convince yourself that it is not that bad and pretend to enjoy it; or you simply accept the fact that your job is part of your life that allows you to do enjoyable things (but is itself not enjoyable).

Unless it is a real torture, a job does not need to be fun for me, like homeworks at school. I don't remember the school times very much in detail but I don't think I have ever done a homework with a bigger enthusiasm than for playing outside with friends. Now it's similar, I never experience a weekend morning where I wish I would go to work :)

If I don't enjoy doing something, it's not going to get done regardless whether or not it has to be done.

Post #23 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
I like my job very much.

What do I like:
1) My boss isolates me from the politics external to the team, leaving me free to focus on technical issues.
2) Deadlines are driven by concrete business goals, like "we want to hit market in Q4".
3) Linux, c/c++, vim? yes please. Job content lines up with all my personal favorites.

What do I not like:
1) Did you guys know it's really hot in Las Vegas? Last year I read in the newspaper that some kid stole another kid's shoes on the playground. The story ends in the hospital with 3rd degree burns from the sidewalk...

Post #24 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:38 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
entropi wrote:

I don't know, but I find that kind of sad. You seem resigned to the fact that nearly half of your waking life is doing something that you don't like...

Post #25 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:49 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
kirkmc wrote:
entropi wrote:

I don't know, but I find that kind of sad. You seem resigned to the fact that nearly half of your waking life is doing something that you don't like...

Maybe it's sad, but what can you do about it?

Post #26 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:54 am 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
kirkmc wrote:
entropi wrote:

Maybe it's sad, but what can you do about it?

Find a new job? Train yourself in something different? Go back to school? Don't resign yourself to being unhappy?

It may not be easy to make changes like that, but if you're really unhappy in your work, every day you put off trying to change is another day of unhappiness.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Try not to be one of them.

This post by kirkmc was liked by: phrax

Post #27 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
How do you find something that would make you happy, though? Apart from something like moving to the islands and becoming a charter boat captain, to take tourists fishing, I've never really had anything sound appealing.

Post #28 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 am 
Honinbo

Chew Terr wrote:
How do you find something that would make you happy, though? Apart from something like moving to the islands and becoming a charter boat captain, to take tourists fishing, I've never really had anything sound appealing.

To add to this, I think that I have a lot of mood swings. One day I can think that my job is not that bad, and that things are looking up. But then the next day, I can feel bored with it.

Maybe I could compare it to looking at a piece of artwork. Maybe it's a great piece of artwork, and I really like it one day. But if I have to look at it every day, it starts to get old.

Is it really possible to find a piece of artwork that you'll admire for the rest of your career?

This post by Kirby was liked by: palapiku

Post #29 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:38 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 4
kirkmc wrote:
entropi wrote:

I don't know. That's life. A job is mainly there to pay the bills. If it can be fun too, then, you're lucky. It's probably hell to do a job you hate completely. But there are always non enjoyables parts. You still got to do it. Because it damn well pays the bills. And after you've been unemployed for a year, you know the difference between a merely annoying work with a salary and no work at all.

And all in all, it's rare that a work is all fun, but's it's seldom 100% bad too.

When something becomes really too boring, I try to convince my boss to get some change in my daily routines by taking on something new. Having to learn how to do something usually distracts me for a while. When I have a really stupid thing to do and my mind is going so crazy with boredom I can't get over it, I try listening to music. It helps.

What I don't like:
- non-paid overtime work
- being away from home repeatedly because customers have a habit of being too far away
- boring stuff like documentation, long and repeated configuration tasks, and so on. Necessary, but I would so rather have someone else doing it...
- Commercials are, well, commercials. They sell stuff without asking you, then it's your problem to deliver on time and budget.
- Customers are, well, customers. They tell you afterwards "Yeah, nice, but no, I changed my mind. Can you please do it a different way for no money? Delivery tomorrow?"

What I like:
- Solving technical problems and making people happy by saving their day ^^
- Being good at what I'm doing. Feeling happy about yourself makes life so much more enjoyable (in comparison to, for example, being unemployed)
- Nice people to work with and laugh about said customers and commercials
- Learning new things

I'm in IT. Someone doubted it?

Post #30 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:51 am 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Chew Terr wrote:

To add to this, I think that I have a lot of mood swings. One day I can think that my job is not that bad, and that things are looking up. But then the next day, I can feel bored with it.

Maybe I could compare it to looking at a piece of artwork. Maybe it's a great piece of artwork, and I really like it one day. But if I have to look at it every day, it starts to get old.

Is it really possible to find a piece of artwork that you'll admire for the rest of your career?

I don't think so. That's why, personally, I've changed careers several times in my life. I like to say that I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

I'm currently reflecting on my next career change...

Post #31 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Magicwand wrote:
i dont mind doing whatever they task me to do

Magicwand wrote:
an officer of the army

I think these two go exceptionally well together

Post #32 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:05 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I recall a conversation with the owner/manager of a B&B up in Napa, in the Califonia wine country, while we were guests at his place. He and his wife entertained guests and taught cooking classes in their commercial quality kitchen. For me, I'd put a butcher knife in somebody if I did that for very long, but was it what he would have wanted to do even without being paid.

He said that he had not worked a day in the past decade. It was all fun for him.

He was a damn good cook, BTW.

Post #33 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:09 pm 
Gosei

I've heard of a guy who owns a yacht in the Pacific, and makes his living teaching rich kids how to sail in it. The kids pay to sail his boat for him from island to island. Apparently, they buy and sell goods from island to island, and once he's taught the kids what to do, he sits back and enjoys the ride, in addition to the double income (sold goods and 'tuition'). I know it's probably more work than it sounds like, but I'm still jealous.~

Post #34 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:33 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Chew Terr wrote:

Does moving to the islands and becoming a charter boat captain sound appealing?

Then go do that. Its really that simple.

Yes, there might be some hurdles along the way. But nothing that can't be dealt with one way or another.

But remember, romanticized dream jobs can have their unpleasant parts too. So if you can't find a way to enjoy your job now, its not likely that you'll enjoy your fantasy either (not always true, but most usually true).

I enjoyed almost every job I ever had. From flipping burgers to operating printing presses to software testing. The only time I didn't enjoy my job was usually when the people I worked with were difficult (which was actually quite rare)

This post by xed_over was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #35 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:35 pm 
Gosei

xed_over wrote:
But remember, romanticized dream jobs can have their unpleasant parts too. So if you can't find a way to enjoy your job now, its not likely that you'll enjoy your fantasy either (not always true, but most usually true).

This is kind of what I figure, and part of why I just try to have a job that's as low-stress as I can. Still trying to brainstorm for something realistic that I could do that I might enjoy.

Post #36 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:46 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Chew Terr wrote:
xed_over wrote:

This is kind of what I figure, and part of why I just try to have a job that's as low-stress as I can. Still trying to brainstorm for something realistic that I could do that I might enjoy.

And yet I can't stress enough, that sometimes you just have to let go and go do what you want.

A number of years ago, there was a job I wanted, but I was being blocked at every turn. When I shared that with an older friend, he suggested that I just buy the plane ticket on my own and show up at the door. I really thought he was crazy, it just can't be that simple. I gave in to my fears and didn't do it, and have regretted it ever since -- if I was 20-30 years younger and know what I know now, it really is just that simple.

Even if the experience turns out worse, you've at least gained some fantastic experiences and life-long stories.

This post by xed_over was liked by 2 people: Chew Terr, Perception

Post #37 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:36 pm 
Honinbo

xed_over wrote:
Chew Terr wrote:

Does moving to the islands and becoming a charter boat captain sound appealing?

Then go do that. Its really that simple.

Yes, there might be some hurdles along the way. But nothing that can't be dealt with one way or another.

I enjoyed almost every job I ever had. From flipping burgers to operating printing presses to software testing. The only time I didn't enjoy my job was usually when the people I worked with were difficult (which was actually quite rare)

I've never flipped burgers, but I have to say that sometimes I enjoyed making pizza more than software engineering :) That could have a lot to do with your other point, though. The main grief I get from my job is due to one individual.

Now, if only they paid pizza makers as much as software engineers...

Post #38 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:27 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
Some time ago, I wrote this (elsewhere, in an entirely different context), which says a fair bit about how I feel about my job:

Quote:
I’ve spent some thirty years now in a technical field – electronics, to be more specific. At various times, I’ve found this career choice to be interesting, fruitful, rewarding, frustrating, and boring. One of the best features has been good pay. (That’s the rewarding part.) But, I cannot honestly list “fulfilling” as one of the adjectives. I think I’m pretty good at what I do (although I know people who could run circles around me in my field), and I’ve usually tried to do a good job at it. At times it has brought personal satisfaction – but not often.

And not lasting satisfaction. After all those years designing high-tech goodies for various applications, nothing I designed a decade ago still exists, and the things I design now will not exist in another decade.. Nor do I “own” anything I’ve designed. Products I’ve designed are owned by the companies I’ve worked for, and none of them are anything I would want to own, anyway. Any satisfaction I get from my work is short-lived; it’s the satisfaction of making something work, of fixing problems in our products, of coming up with a clever design or new solution. But where are those things, now? I cannot point with pride to anything from my professional career and say, “I did that!”

Life is rarely simple. It doesn’t always go as one wants, and challenges are ever present. For me, this lack of professional fulfillment is one of those challenges. The transition I am undertaking is an attempt to address this challenge.

It may prove difficult, for many reasons. I can’t simply give up my career – personal and family economics and responsibilities prohibit that. Finding time to develop a new vocation is difficult – work, kids, and life’s activities and commitments take up a lot of time. New skills must be acquired, investments made. Starting anew will involve making many mistakes, and perseverance requires a certain fortitude – or maybe a certain naive optimism (which doesn’t come easily to me!) And, of course, there’s fear of failure – for all I know, I’ll be a total bust at this new vocation! Maybe I’ll hate it.

But difficult isn’t impossible, and the fear is entirely my own making. And as they say, a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

Post #39 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:25 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
IGS: Exologist
Kaya handle: Exologist
My job is pretty sweet. Just drive around delivering newspapers for a couple hours every night. Yeah it's part-time equivalent, but it beats not making anything. Only thing I don't like about it is Sunday mornings, when I have to pack the car to ceiling and it takes forever. Now if I made the other half (or all of it) trading foreign exchange, that would be crazy. Needless to say I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that "enjoys" a job like that (I did it for about a month plus some). It is very stressful at times and you have to work very hard to keep your head. Anyone that does it only does it for the possible gains or investment, and investment can't be considered a job.

I won't be truly enjoying anything though until I have my own business or go into the scuba industry. :)

Post #40 Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
kirkmc wrote:
Find a new job? Train yourself in something different? Go back to school? Don't resign yourself to being unhappy?

It may not be easy to make changes like that, but if you're really unhappy in your work, every day you put off trying to change is another day of unhappiness.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Try not to be one of them.

Man, it is not so dramatic :) I am not really soo unhappy with my job. A job that I would enjoy doing, could for example be as a musician. What I do instead is sitting 8 hours a day in front of a computer and checking whether some stupid technical ideas are inventive enough to deserve a patent. It is not hell, but it is also not something enjoyable.

To be honest, I can hardly imagine anybody really enjoying that job. But the salary is good, benefits are good and it is a relatively secure employment. I don't ask for more from a job, especially after having children. Tommie is a colleague of mine. Tommie, if you read this thread, maybe you would comment on that :)