All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you have will power?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:29 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
DrStraw referenced in a previous post that people sometimes don't do what's good for them. Maybe they should be out exercising for their health, for example, but instead watch TV or something because it is easier to do.

Doing what is best for you even when it's not easy seems to require willpower.

What do you think? Do you have willpower? If you do, how did you get it?

Post subject: Re: Do you have will power?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
No, or I wouldn't post on here.

At least not in the off-topic forum. And I'd definitely stay away from arguments if I had willpower.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Kirby

Post #3 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
I have some, but I still procrastinate a lot. What is good for me isn't always what I want to do.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Im not sure that I agree with the premise that having willpower equates to doing what is good for you. When I first learned the game I played and studied it for hours at a time. That certainly required a lot of willpower because there were certainly many other things I could have and should have been doing and many of them would probably have been better for me than hiding away with a go book and board.

Having said that, I will say that, yes, I do have willpower. I probably could not have reached 5 dan without it. But fortunately I have reached a point in my life where I don't have to exercise it as often as I used to have to.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 am 
Honinbo

I guess there's no secret to having willpower, right? "Just do it", as they say...

Post #6 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:17 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Kirby wrote:
I guess there's no secret to having willpower, right? "Just do it", as they say...

Practice seems to help? When I make myself do something hard, for a while it's easier to do other things similar. For example, I recently stopped drinking soda and coffee on weekdays, and it seems like, since then, I can easily turn down other things.

This post by Chew Terr was liked by: Kirby

Post #7 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:21 am 
Honinbo

DrStraw wrote:
... because there were certainly many other things I could have and should have been doing and many of them would probably have been better for me than hiding away with a go book and board.

By the way, DrStraw... Why would other things have been better than hiding away with a go book and board?

Post #8 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:40 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Willpower can be used for useless pursuits, but it seems necessary for many worthwhile ones.

I wish I remembered more details, but I think there was a study that had people exercise willpower for a few weeks on something (good posture, perhaps) and then tested them on apparently unrelated tasks afterwards--they showed more willpower than the control group.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
I think I have more willpower than most people. I've stuck to an exercise regimen (with some changes, e.g. to make time for my kids when they were born) for 20 years now. And I tend to finish software projects that I start...there's a lot of people who start great projects then run out of steam before it's done.

But I also procrastinate too much. Like by posting here when I should be working. :)

Post #10 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 7
I don't have will power, I am totally at the mercy of the whims of the universe

Post #11 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:17 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... le1300277/

This post by palapiku was liked by: Kirby

Post #12 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:57 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 0
KGS: xinyil
I just do what's best for me in the long term. For example last year I quit my job out of the blue because I am not progressing as I had wanted. After that I headed down the contracting/temping/locuming route inorder to find the job I wanted. After about 6 month I got one. Having some willpower made the whole thing eaiser. It helps to block out the negative voices.

I not sure whether you call that willpower or risk taking or both. I think part of it is deciding what to do and just doing it regardless. It also helps to calculate the risks of each action beforehand and playing Go definately helps with that.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:03 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Kirby wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
... because there were certainly many other things I could have and should have been doing and many of them would probably have been better for me than hiding away with a go book and board.

By the way, DrStraw... Why would other things have been better than hiding away with a go book and board?

I don't remember. It was 35 years ago.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm 
Honinbo

DrStraw wrote:
Kirby wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

I don't remember. It was 35 years ago.

Do you have any regret now?

Post #15 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
the answer is simple - no

Post #16 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:51 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 21
KGS: Azumi93
Online playing schedule: When I am in a mood for Go :D
No I don't have - need to get to 1p but I can't :batman:

Post #17 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 7
GD Posts: 120
KGS: RazorBrain
I've been reading a couple of books that talk about this very thing. They both claim that willpower is not enough for difficult change. Both authors suggest that the logical part of the brain gets overwhelmed easily and then gives way to the emotional part of the brain which then leads us down the path of least resistance. It is fascinating to read about as it affects a lot of what we do, including go. After reading these books, I think that there is a logical part (exercise is healthy for me) and an emotional part (I like exercising because I get to go with my friends) that leads to real success.

So, for go, we know studying tsumego is good for our game, but unless we find a way to bring some positive emotional aspect to it we are likely to do it much less than we should.

In case anyone is interested, the books are "The Happiness Hypothesis" by Jonathan Haidt and "Switch" by Dan and Chip Heath.

- Another One Bites the Dust
- BOOK REVIEW: How Not To Play Go
- Finally, a DGS Client for the iPhone

This post by RazorBrain was liked by: Kirby

Post #18 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
RazorBrain wrote:
So, for go, we know studying tsumego is good for our game, but unless we find a way to bring some positive emotional aspect to it we are likely to do it much less than we should.

GoChild does this with happy kids' voices saying "Hen Hao!" when you get a problem right :)

Post #19 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:36 pm 
Honinbo

RazorBrain wrote:

This is kind of interesting to me. Have you found a positive emotional aspect for studying tsumego? If so, what is it - or what brought it about?

Post #20 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:59 pm 
Honinbo

RazorBrain wrote:
I've been reading a couple of books that talk about this very thing. They both claim that willpower is not enough for difficult change. Both authors suggest that the logical part of the brain gets overwhelmed easily and then gives way to the emotional part of the brain which then leads us down the path of least resistance. ...

I've been thinking about this aspect of learning that you've brought up a little bit, and I've been trying to relate it to my own experience.

It seems to me that, in my experience, actions that are based on emotion give me immediate satisfaction - satisfaction in the present.

But actions that are methodical and determined by logic sometimes do not give me immediate satisfaction, but give me satisfaction when I look back on them later.

For example, if I hate exercise, but I force myself to do it because of a logical idea that's telling me that it's good to do, the next day - or even right after I'm done exercising, I think to myself, "Wow. I did a lot of exercise. I feel good about myself, now!". Or, if I don't do the "logical" thing to do, eg. I don't exercise when I think I should, I later feel, "Wow. I did not have much self-control there."...

Typically if I find something emotionally gratifying in the present - about something I'm doing in the present - it's because I'm not doing what I am "supposed to be doing" from a "logical" perspective... Does this sound consistent with how other people feel?

This post by Kirby was liked by: Stefany93