All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: We could write books!
Post #21 Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
sumiyaka wrote:
Stefany93 wrote:
... need to write at the exact moment when you have inspiration, otherwise all you would write is a piece of crap.

[Note, I'm not trying to upset the OP-- I've re-written this a few times, but the "tone" over the net still feels harsh. Its not meant to be that way at all. Maybe this disclaimer at the top will take the edge off... but since some of it is a direct quote from one of my English professors (with expletives removed) its not completely me anyway.]

I don't think that is necessarily true. Waiting for "inspiration" can become the refuge of the lazy artist. You want to be writer? Write everyday. You want to be a photographer? Photograph everyday. You want to be a painter... a musician... a programmer... well, do it everyday. Yes some days are better than others. Also, if you have those awesome inspiration moments and can't create at the time, get as much of the "feeling" you can captured somehow (small bit of writing in a notebook, a quick sketch/doodle, pull out your cell phone make a picture, whatever). Hopefully, you will be able to spark the idea again with that as kindling.

Creativity isn't inspiration based, its work based. Start working and the creativity and inspiration will come. Sure, some days everything will be complete and utter crap-- oh well, that is life, learn from it, move on.

And before anyone jumps on me ... Yes, I understand those moments when everything just aligns, and your work flows effortlessly. But I also understand, even on days that are super blah, you can make good work. It just hurts more, and it is easier to be distracted from it, and it actually feels like work.

This seems all well and good, but remember that you're offering a secondhand lecture to a kid who has by her own account already written 8 (in words: eight) books. While the advice you offer is pretty standard and generally non-controversial, it might not fit the bill every time. A 16 year old who is already that prolific doesn't seem to be the "lazy artist" type and might not fit the mold in other ways as well. Her personal experience, as someone who has already confronted the difficulties of starting and finishing a book several times, is probably a better guide than what a professor (is he also a writer?) may deem appropriate for aspiring writers. And just because she hasn't been writing for six months doesn't mean that there aren't equally valuable ways for her to spend her time. (Like ...playing go? :mrgreen: ) Anyway, I've also heard writers say that more important than slaving away at their desks is for them to read more books.

This post by daal was liked by: Stefany93

Post #22 Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:32 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 1393
daal wrote:

This seems all well and good, but remember that you're offering a secondhand lecture to a kid who has by her own account already written 8 (in words: eight) books. While the advice you offer is pretty standard and generally non-controversial, it might not fit the bill every time. A 16 year old who is already that prolific doesn't seem to be the "lazy artist" type and might not fit the mold in other ways as well. Her personal experience, as someone who has already confronted the difficulties of starting and finishing a book several times, is probably a better guide than what a professor (is he also a writer?) may deem appropriate for aspiring writers. And just because she hasn't been writing for six months doesn't mean that there aren't equally valuable ways for her to spend her time. (Like ...playing go? :mrgreen: ) Anyway, I've also heard writers say that more important than slaving away at their desks is for them to read more books.

I knew something like this was coming :) First, its not a second hand lecture, I have internalized it-- it has become part of me.

Also, I didn't call her "lazy", but that "inspiration" is used as a segue into laziness for so many people. It "can become" an excuse for laziness. That is what I said. Waiting to be "inspired" sounds so grand an idea right? I can't make a picture today, I'm not "inspired"! Its not my doing, I'm not "inspired"! Bah, just do something already, it becomes an excuse.

No disrespect to 16 year olds (I used to be one), but I doubt the experience of a 16 year old is better than my professor no matter the accomplishment (And she she is accomplished). His name is Michael Olmert. He had a regular column for Smithsonian magazine, he has written numerous books, has written documentaries produced by Discovery channel, among other things. The fact that he lives what he preached is probably the only reason I remember what he said. Well, that and liberal use of impolite words.

Everything I've ever done is creative in nature. I've done programming professionally, photographing (primarily not professionally), writing (not professionally), and traditional art ( almost certainly never ever to be done professionally ). Guess what? Nothing I ever finished was 100% "inspired", there is always a strong component of GOYA to get something done.

Also, doing something everyday doesn't equate slaving at a desk for the entire day. If you can only do a little, do a little, but still do it.

Post #23 Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:48 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 4
daal wrote:
This seems all well and good, but remember that you're offering a secondhand lecture to a kid who has by her own account already written 8 (in words: eight) books.

This is impressive and worth praise, especially for someone so young. If she has written so much, then she certainly has discipline. But others might get mistaken about this idea of inspiration and "waiting for the exact moment". If you wait for it too long it never comes again. Sometimes you've got to hunt it a bit. By sitting at your desk and writing crap, for example.

Anyway, before you've written a few novels, all of your writing IS crap. It's like the first games of a new player. You've got to get some experience first. Waiting for inspiration will just get in the way of getting more experience. If you don't write, you don't learn.

Quote:
Anyway, I've also heard writers say that more important than slaving away at their desks is for them to read more books.

Yes. Getting some fresh air is also good for the mind and helps creativity. Trying writing different things (but finish them after they're started! Short stories are good for relaxing from a novel). Looking at places and people. Doing new things. All that is good.
But for a future-maybe-wannabe writer, the most important advice is to finish his work in progress no matter what. Because if he doesn't, whatever else he does won't help. Professional writers are professionals because they have the ability to write on a regular basis, on long periods of time. Everything else is how to get better quality from whatever comes in that working time.

Talent is useless if you don't play ;-)

Post #24 Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
sumiyaka wrote:

I knew something like this was coming :)

I hope you didn't feel attacked, and I don't think that what you said was harsh or unreasonable. I just wanted to point out that your good advice may not be true for everyone. For example, it is generally acknowledged that the best way to improve at go is to do tsumego, and that when doing tsumego it's best to try to figure out the answer in your head. There are however some fairly accomplished go players who don't do tsumego. They don't like it, and if it were mandatory they might choose to stop playing go entirely. Maybe it's ok for these people to take their own route. If you counter that these players are certainly not professionals, then I would say, perhaps they don't want to be.

Quote:
Also, I didn't call her "lazy", but that "inspiration" is used as a segue into laziness for so many people. It "can become" an excuse for laziness.

And I didn't say you called her lazy. :) I just don't have the impression that lazy is something that the person in question is in danger of becoming.

Quote:
No disrespect to 16 year olds (I used to be one), but I doubt the experience of a 16 year old is better than my professor no matter the accomplishment...

Bear in mind that your professor is talking about people who "want to be a writer." Someone who has written several books already is a writer.

To get back to the topic, I'm sure that there are a number of go books waiting to be written by our crew, and it is fantastic that at least 5 of us (off the top of my head) already have. I personally find the OP's realization, in combination with Sumiyaka's (professor's) advice heartening, and I find it inspiring to hear from Freegame and Stephany93 about their experiences. I've pondered writing a book about go too :shock: , but up until now, all of the revolutionary concepts I've thought up have not withstood rigorous scientific analysis. Maybe I'll go with: How to reach 6k in just 3 years.

In any case, if you are thinking about writing a book, I'd suggest doing as Bill Spight has done, and ask us what we want to know more about. We are after all your prospective customers.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Stephany93!

Post #25 Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Maere wrote:
Anyway, before you've written a few novels, all of your writing IS crap.

And for anybody who doesn't believe this, just read my blog. :shock:

Post #26 Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:02 am 
Dies with sente

Daal, no I don't feel attacked. I think I found where our opinions differ.

daal wrote:
And I didn't say you called her lazy. :) I just don't have the impression that lazy is something that the person in question is in danger of becoming.

Someone who has written several books already is a writer.

I think this is why we have a differing opinion.

I do see a danger. And I disagree with the last statement.

I will tell you why, but I'm not attempting to change your mind. I have 2 personal reasons why, and one from observing a friend.

Its probably been a long time since I've written a serious program. I throw together smaller things at work all the time, but still, now I don't really consider myself a programmer. I could probably change that, but for now that is my feeling. This is despite over 15 or so years experience programming, having developed large systems, etc.

If I don't make a picture today, I will start to doubt myself as a photographer. It might be silly, but its my feeling. This is despite having work published in magazines, having work displayed in juried shows, and having won contests.

And my non personal example. One of my friends drew and wrote maybe 100 comic books through high school and college. Some were completely original works, some he borrowed liberally from other sources, all were really well done-- when I look at some of the photocopies now I realize it really is professional caliber work. But, he stopped, he let things get in the way (mostly fear I think), but he stopped. I don't think he considers himself an artist, and because of lack of current work I have to agree. Although, if he does pick up the pencil I know amazing images will just fall out of it. It actually pains me to think about how much talent is sitting there unused! I don't want to see that happen again, but it probably plays out every day. So, again, I reiterate... if you want to be a creator, create everyday.

Post #27 Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:39 am 
Dies with sente

Fedya wrote:
Maere wrote:

I love shameless self promotion :) I read all the current posts. I dropped it in my Reader too.

Can I ask a dumb question though? What is "TCM"?

Post #28 Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:38 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Just a brief note for those interested in writing, based on my experience. I'm a full-time freelance writer, and I've published a dozen books about computers and software.

It's one thing to write a book, it's another to actually finish it. But it's a whole 'nother ball game to get it published, especially these days with the publishing industry undergoing serious changes. (I'm not talking about self-publishing, which is incredibly easy now.) Depending on what you write, you're confronted with a number of hurdles you have to get over to actually get a book to someone who might consider publishing. For starters, you absolutely need an agent, as most publishers have slimmed down their staffs so much that there's no one left to read the slush pile.

Not to dissuade anyone who wants to write. I just wanted to point out that writing and getting published are very different.

Post #29 Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:07 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 4
Fedya wrote:
Maere wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this... with writing I meant "novel writing" in this context. Writing articles or other non-fiction work is obviously a related, but nonetheless completely different exercise.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
sumiyaka wrote:
Fedya wrote:
Maere wrote:

I love shameless self promotion :) I read all the current posts. I dropped it in my Reader too.

Can I ask a dumb question though? What is "TCM"?

Turner Classic Movies, an American cable channel that airs a lot of wonderful movies from the Hollywood studio era, and which is what I probably watch more than anything else.

TCM has a cable channel in Europe as well, although as I understand it the European equivalent doesn't have anywhere near the library of old movies that the US version does.

Post #31 Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:08 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Fedya wrote:

TCM has a cable channel in Europe as well, although as I understand it the European equivalent doesn't have anywhere near the library of old movies that the US version does.

I get it by satellite in France, and they do have an excellent selection. For the past week or so, they've been showing all of Kubrick's movies, for example.