It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting a little Shogi Club!?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:17 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 9
Hello L19x19'ers,

I've been watching an anime about shogi (Shion no ou) and I think I would very much like to learn how to play it.
I was discussing this very matter on KGS and several people came forward, saying that they too wanted to learn how to play.
Mind you this is in no way meant to replace Go, and I do not intend to have it intrude on my go studies either (or not a lot anyway), but sometimes I feel
like I could use a little break for a couple of hours, and instead of watching mindless TV or playing overly-violent games I would like to play Shogi.

I feel like studying/playing will be easiest when in a group, and therefore I come to you. Would you like to learn shogi? Why not learn together!?
I am unsure of details, or how to go about this at this particular time, but I suggest you all take a look at the following links (I too will be doing this for a while. The rules are a bit more complex than Go's) ;
- http://www.81squareuniverse.com/shogi/rules/ << Explains the basic rules of the game. I've read the first couple of pages and found it to be very clear.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkz0LVBg ... r_embedded << First video of a series of videos explaining shougi. I watched the first video and thought it was very instructive, though the kanji script leaves me stunned at the moment and I can only remember about four pieces (oops)

That's all I have right now. If you wish to participate or have more learning resources, please feel free to post.

P.S. If you know how to play Shougi and are of decent strength, why not help us <3. I'm sure we'd be very thankful.

Post subject: Re: Starting a little Shogi Club!?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:47 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 38
You may want to check out this page.
Also here is a place to play on the net (also Xiangqi and Janggi), turn based, Swedish site.

/Mats

Post #3 Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
I usually play shogi on Playok.

Hidetchi lessons on Youtube are really awesome.

I strongly recomend you, to start, to have a look to the book "Shogi for beginners" by Fairbairn, and later, let's say after 50 played games, if you like the game, to "The art of Shogi" by Toni Hosking.

I and my shogi master are promoting in Italy also a smaller variant of shogi, called Dobutsushogi, which is fantastic to introduce children to the game: http://wiki.81squareuniverse.com/index. ... utsu_Shogi

Post #4 Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:13 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 6
KGS: shawbee
kaliya wrote:
I and my shogi master are promoting in Italy also a smaller variant of shogi, called Dobutsushogi, which is fantastic to introduce children to the game: http://wiki.81squareuniverse.com/index. ... utsu_Shogi

That's very nice, i looked at the link given on the wikipedia page (http://www.joshi-shogi.com/doubutsushogi/) and found this two pictures:

http://www.joshi-shogi.com/doubutsushogi/imgs/IMG_1014.JPG
http://www.joshi-shogi.com/doubutsushogi/ims/IMG_1020.JPG

I don't know japanese, are these kid's versions of go?

Post #5 Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:14 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
GD Posts: 185
KGS: SolarBear
Hi !

I'm learning shogi too (thought very, very part-time). I'm finding it very hard to get material for it and playing online is extremely frustrating because I always get crushed in games. The only positive point I get is that a colleague of mine plays withme about once a week and he's as bad as I am ! We've only had 2-3 games up to now, though, and we're pretty much evenly matched.

I play on brainking.com. I played a few games on playok.com but there doesn't seem to attract many new players so players come in, crush me and leave. Let's just say I miss the KGS Teaching Ladder. :roll:

I even have a shogi blog but there isn't much in it since I never got hooked on the game as I thought I would for the reasons mentioned before. Anyway, if you play on brainking, send me a game invite ! Or tell me when you're available on playok.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 pm 
Dies in gote

SolarBear, as a total beginner, I think you still miss the fundamentals:

- Leave "sitted king" (not castled king) only to 1d or stronger players :)
- So, always castle before launching any attack!
- King at one side, tower at the opposite
- Solve many 1 move tsumeshogi (mate problems)
- Later, learn some shogi proverbs, like "tokin is worthing 3 generals"
- Experience study/playing with a real set. You can find very nice sets at YMimports for America and Aobo-shop for Europe.
- Read "Shogi for beginners" :)

Post #7 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:58 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 21
KGS: Azumi93
Online playing schedule: When I am in a mood for Go :D
I will explain one thing from the behalf of all the Go players in the world - Shogi sucks! Go rules!

Post #8 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:10 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
There is no need to put down Shogi if you love Go.

I love both Go and chess and it always makes me sad when people think they have to denigrate one of them so that their own game will be respected more. It's not a zero-sum game.

This post by dfan was liked by: Suji

Post #9 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:15 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 7
GD Posts: 120
KGS: RazorBrain
Count me in!

I discovered Shogi about 20 years ago but never pursued it thanks to go. I've played my 20-30 games total and those 15 or more years ago. But I enjoyed shogi much more than western chess. (I understand they sprang from the same Indian game???). I used to play with a co-worker at lunch. We had all the chess players in the company asking to learn. If I'd only know about go back then.

I have a set with traditional Japanese characters, which I prefer to the international symbols. They are not hard to learn. So, I agree that having a real set is worth it, even if only for study.

(BTW, as far as taking a break once in a while from go, I believe even Honinbo Shusai play shogi for fun!)

- Another One Bites the Dust
- BOOK REVIEW: How Not To Play Go
- Finally, a DGS Client for the iPhone

Post #10 Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:26 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
RazorBrain wrote:
I have a set with traditional Japanese characters, which I prefer to the international symbols.

I don't believe I've seen a set with international symbols. What do those look like?

Post #11 Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
xed_over wrote:
RazorBrain wrote:
I have a set with traditional Japanese characters, which I prefer to the international symbols.

I don't believe I've seen a set with international symbols. What do those look like?

http://www.mattleonard.com/stripe/japan ... E%20PIECES

You can see the way he shows the pieces with letters and directions.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:39 pm 
Oza

oren wrote:
xed_over wrote:
RazorBrain wrote:

http://www.mattleonard.com/stripe/japan ... E%20PIECES

You can see the way he shows the pieces with letters and directions.

oh, cool. Never seen those before. I might have been able to learn the game better with those :)

Post #13 Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
xed_over wrote:
oh, cool. Never seen those before. I might have been able to learn the game better with those :)

It's not too late! :)

Post #14 Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:12 pm 
Oza

oren wrote:
xed_over wrote:

It's not too late! :)

pfft... yep it is. I've learned Go now.

Post #15 Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 5
KGS: hirohiigo
I'm surprised to see a few shogi discussions on this forum. I'm glad there's interest in the igo community.

I guess a shogi thread is appropriate for me to introduce myself in. I'm hirohiigo, the webmaster of The 81-Square Universe, and I've dedicated my life to promoting and teaching people shogi. Nice to meet you all. I was an occasional member of Go Discussions when it was still around, and I've been lurking on Life in 19x19 for a few months. I also play igo a bit, but don't have many people to play with, so I'm still pretty weak.

I would be more than happy to help teach people from L19x19 to play shogi. As Christos said, Hidetchi's videos are the best place to learn shogi; they're where I learned to play and I would never recommend anything else as a starting point. If you watch his whole "How to Play Shogi" series it should bring you to about 15-kyu (or 10-kyu in Japanese rankings). His "Shogi Exercises" series is also a great resource if you are unable to import tsumeshogi and tesuji books from Japan.

If you want to study shogi, even if you choose not to become as serious as you are with igo, I recommend you join the forums on The 81-Square Universe, which you can find here. It's basically the L19x19 of shogi, and although it's not as active as L19x19 seems, it has many players who are more than happy to give advice.

By the way, if you plan to start a shogi club in person, you might be interested in my Incentive to start American shogi clubs. In a nutshell, I'll personally buy your club a shogi set if you start a club of 5 or more members, and another set at 10 members, 20 members, etc. I'll also buy your club a copy of "Shogi for Beginners" by John Fairbairn if your club reaches 15 members. Unfortunately, at the moment, this offer is only for American clubs.

Quote:
mohsart wrote:
You may want to check out this page.
Also here is a place to play on the net (also Xiangqi and Janggi), turn based, Swedish site.

/Mats

In general these days, I wouldn't recommend Shogi.Net to beginners, since it's a very old and hard-to-navigate site. I may be a little biased, but I think it would be better to refer new shogi players to The 81-Square Universe instead.

Quote:
Hi !

I'm learning shogi too (thought very, very part-time). I'm finding it very hard to get material for it and playing online is extremely frustrating because I always get crushed in games. The only positive point I get is that a colleague of mine plays withme about once a week and he's as bad as I am ! We've only had 2-3 games up to now, though, and we're pretty much evenly matched.

I play on brainking.com. I played a few games on playok.com but there doesn't seem to attract many new players so players come in, crush me and leave. Let's just say I miss the KGS Teaching Ladder. :roll:

I even have a shogi blog but there isn't much in it since I never got hooked on the game as I thought I would for the reasons mentioned before. Anyway, if you play on brainking, send me a game invite ! Or tell me when you're available on playok.

Hi Solar Bear! Nice to run into you here, too.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't gotten as hooked on the game as you would have liked. If you want, I can give you one-on-one lessons in the future, including reviewing all of your games like I did with the one game I commented on in your blog.

Quote:
- Later, learn some shogi proverbs, like "tokin is worthing 3 generals"

I think you've mixed up two proverbs. "A tokin is worth 1,000 golds" and "A horse's defense is worth three generals." Here's a list of shogi proverbs: http://wiki.81squareuniverse.com/index. ... i_Proverbs

Quote:
I will explain one thing from the behalf of all the Go players in the world - Shogi sucks! Go rules!

I don't think either should be compared to the other, since they're both very different games. I love both games, although I'm a bit more serious about shogi than igo.

Quote:
(BTW, as far as taking a break once in a while from go, I believe even Honinbo Shusai play shogi for fun!)

Permament Meijin and 3-Crowns Yoshiharu Habu is an avid player of igo and chess as well.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 8
KGS: Sujisan 12 kyu
OGS: Sujisan 13 kyu
Stefany93 wrote:

Shogi is a different animal than Go. While I've only played only a handful of games, the type of thinking for Shogi is very, very similar to the thinking process that you have to go through for Western Chess and Go. I'm terrible at Shogi, since I seem to lack the knowledge of how pieces cooperate.

Shogi would be fun if you have someone to learn with. It's not a hard game to learn, and I think if you actually branched out from Go you'd actually get better faster. Also, if you actually understood Shogi and it's subtleties, you wouldn't be so negative toward it.

hirohiigo wrote:
In general these days, I wouldn't recommend Shogi.Net to beginners, since it's a very old and hard-to-navigate site. I may be a little biased, but I think it would be better to refer new shogi players to The 81-Square Universe instead.

I'll second that. If you're biased then I am too. :D

When I was looking for Shogi stuff a while back, I stumbled upon 81-square universe which was more or less in it's infancy (only a handful of posts). It's a great resource as the number of Shogi things in English are significantly less than we English speakers would hope.

hirohiigo wrote:
I guess a shogi thread is appropriate for me to introduce myself in. I'm hirohiigo, the webmaster of The 81-Square Universe, and I've dedicated my life to promoting and teaching people shogi. Nice to meet you all.

Welcome to L19 on behalf of the Go community, and I hope that you'll improve in both Go and Shogi. If you have any questions about Go, the stronger players are very helpful, and like to help weaklings like me. So, I guess the point I'm trying make is it never hurts to ask.

Post #17 Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:19 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Welcome back to the community. I kind of find it fitting/pretty that L19 and 81^2 kind of have parallel names. Neat.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:35 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Stefany93 wrote:

As a go player I don't agree. There is no dichotomy between go and shogi as there is no dichotomy between go and chess. All these games are cool. If my wife (who doesn't like go or chess) said "let's pick up a new game for our family to learn and play together", I'd happily pick up shogi, even if that meant a longer hiatus for my go activities.